• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#75797  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:26 am
We did see it last year. Samford had a few gaping runs after there botched call by the refs. WCU had some long runs. It happens.

Yardage aside, KSU had 7 points starting the 4th quarter. We got conservative offensively and KSU's offense hit some big plays and quick drives.

Not saying we played perfectly, but for most of the game the defense played well.

It was an odd game. I never felt at any point that KSU was the better team, but it's like Furman just couldn't make that one play to just put them away for good.
 #75800  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:17 am
Credit to KSU on this.

It's 3rd and 8, down 7, and under 4:00 to play. The Owls had probably already decided they were going to go for it 4th down if they didn't pick up the first, so ran against a six man box. KSU had six blockers to deal with six defenders. Benyard, who was clearly their biggest playmaker, hit the hole hard and managed to break Gilby's tackle. Good play call by their coaching staff.

https://x.com/kennesawstfb/status/17031 ... 94139?s=20
 #75801  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:24 am
Also, on their second-to-last touchdown.

In real time I didn't think this was a catch. He catches the ball, takes a step, and then Chizik knocks the ball loose. He certainly doesn't maintain possession but for a brief moment.

If this wasn't in the end zone, would it have been ruled a catch and fumble?

The catch rule has changed so frequently I'm not even sure the current NCAA definition.

https://x.com/kennesawstfb/status/17031 ... 61049?s=20
 #75802  by tim
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
I guess on the INT a simultaneous catch wasn't called. I thought that went to the offense.Anyway, I would have liked to see the score without 2 dropped passes, 2 dropped INTs, receiver runs out of bounds too soon and kicking a line drive to their KOR. We made it interesting :D
 #75803  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:52 am
A few random thoughts from attending the KSU/FU game.

That is an odd stadium environment.
But, I can see when it's full its got home field advantage.
It got loud in the 4th, kudos to our offense for handling the noise.

A KSU fan told me before the game, they were playing 'their players' tonight.
As Don Scott mentioned, it appears KSU is making big roster moves each week.
The KSU sideline had a group of players not dressed for the game that almost rivaled the size of the players dressed out.

The game was chippy, if I remember correctly, last time we played the Owls they talked a lot of smack. I have no idea what was going on on the field but that was Rockem-sockem forth quarter.

Someone mentioned they want Huff to stop the taunting. I don't look at it that way. Huff is an emotional leader. The last time I can remember a QB with that level of Moxie was Napier and DeBusk.

KSU. The Owls reminded me of the old GSU teams when they had a very mobile QB that could throw some. I'm ecstatic to get out of there with a win.

I think the best is yet to come from Ferguson, Hinton, and Pline.
Ferguson is developing into that go-to guy.
Hinton juices up the offense when he's in the game.
Pline's catch on the sideline showed that a 6-7, 260-pound tight end can be hard to handle and bring down.
It was great to see Maier back on the field.
gman84, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #75805  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:14 am
tim wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
I guess on the INT a simultaneous catch wasn't called. I thought that went to the offense.Anyway, I would have liked to see the score without 2 dropped passes, 2 dropped INTs, receiver runs out of bounds too soon and kicking a line drive to their KOR. We made it interesting :D
I think you're right.

I don't see a simultaneous possession. If you stop the video at 5 seconds in, Chizik has both arms around the ball, he's on the ground, and the ball is next to his body. KSU's receiver has hands on it, but I don't see how you could say 50/50. The KSU player doesn't actually start to yank the ball back until Chizik takes one of his hands off it to get off the ground.

https://x.com/PaladinFootball/status/17 ... 34936?s=20
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #75806  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:21 am
AstroDin wrote:

The KSU sideline had a group of players not dressed for the game that almost rivaled the size of the players dressed out.

The game was chippy, if I remember correctly, last time we played the Owls they talked a lot of smack. I have no idea what was going on on the field but that was Rockem-sockem forth quarter.

Someone mentioned they want Huff to stop the taunting. I don't look at it that way. Huff is an emotional leader. The last time I can remember a QB with that level of Moxie was Napier and DeBusk.

KSU. The Owls reminded me of the old GSU teams when they had a very mobile QB that could throw some. I'm ecstatic to get out of there with a win.

Pline's catch on the sideline showed that a 6-7, 260-pound tight end can be hard to handle and bring down.
I thought the same thing about Ferguson. He seemed to sort of take that step today to become the "go to guy" on those third down conversions.

It wasn't clear to me the first two games who was going to be the Ryan Miller-esque guy to go get the tough catch on third down. It looks like it might be Ferguson.

Pline is a physical dude when he's got the ball on those quick passing routes. Gissinger was in uniform, but I didn't see him in the game. So, it was him and Chappell handling the TE duties. As Huff and Pline develop more rapport, I think we'll see 89 be a big part of the offensive attack.

I was also pleased to see Ethan Harris make a few big catches. He looked to have a great preseason, and now seems to be getting more looks in the offense.

We had 400 yards of offense, 31 points, and had 4 three and outs on offense. Once we get a little more consistency on that side of the ball, I think you'll see us really be a problem.
 #75807  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:23 am
AstroDin wrote:

I agree. Moxie. Swagger. I hear you. And KSU hit him late in the end zone. But there’s a line.

A former player even told me that HUFF better watch it or we are gonna lose him. We coulda lost him this game for taunting on that run to end zone. And then we probably LOSE THE GAME!

CLEARLY turned to face the guy chasing him while not even in the end zone yet on an TD run and talked sh#$$. Coulda been flagged there and we could not have complained. At all. Then he DID Get flagged late in game for getting in a guys grill IN EZ. I attribute some to KSU. I SAW the late type hit in the EZ.

Matter of fact pretty sure I saw a coach quickly talking to Huff after he did get flagged. PROBABLY - don’t know - told him to watch it with that as we need him in the game

Right or wrong we need Huff in the game. He was walking a line that could have had him thrown out

That said, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him taunt that obviously. So I get that KSU probably played a part
 #75808  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:21 am
AstroDin wrote:

I thought the same thing about Ferguson. He seemed to sort of take that step today to become the "go to guy" on those third down conversions.

It wasn't clear to me the first two games who was going to be the Ryan Miller-esque guy to go get the tough catch on third down. It looks like it might be Ferguson.

Pline is a physical dude when he's got the ball on those quick passing routes. Gissinger was in uniform, but I didn't see him in the game. So, it was him and Chappell handling the TE duties. As Huff and Pline develop more rapport, I think we'll see 89 be a big part of the offensive attack.

I was also pleased to see Ethan Harris make a few big catches. He looked to have a great preseason, and now seems to be getting more looks in the offense.

We had 400 yards of offense, 31 points, and had 4 three and outs on offense. Once we get a little more consistency on that side of the ball, I think you'll see us really be a problem.
Jackal, hey. Just asking. Is there someone other than Johanning returning for conference play?

You mentioned a ‘few guys’ may come back per CCH. All I can see in articles is Johanning - who is a big addition!

Achina - out for year. Etc
 #75809  by Yadkin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:35 am
Some District Attorney labeled last night’s win as “completely underwhelming.” Clueless FU. I guess KSU has no talent with 70+ scholarships on the way to FBS? That was their Super Bowl played on their field in a nine-game season with two D2s on their schedule…and we won! Reminds me of the guy who complained about our 500+ yard offense in the win over Jax State in 2005. Seriously, go adopt another team (Wofford might be ripe for you). You aren’t wanted around here.
AstroDin liked this
 #75810  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:49 am
I have not seen our tight ends blocking very well. It got better last night. Perhaps why 41 is getting more playing time. We aren’t sealing the edge with consistency.

Another takeaway - can we please have the KSU game operations staff come install their sound system and video board usage at Paladin stadium? Please, no more static and inaudible referee announcements. It is possible.
 #75811  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:00 am
Concerning Tyler's touchdown run, when he turned and faced the defender.
I guess he just turned but didn't say anything; one of the refs came over to Huff after the touchdown and said something to him. That played a role in the taunting call - cause that hit by the KSU defender should have been called unnecessary roughness.

GoFU… the only other player (starter) from last season that could come back is McCormick. I'm unsure where he stands related to his concussion injury in the spring. I think I saw him for the first time on the sidelines of a game (he wasn't in uniform). I'm pretty sure it was him throwing the ball with Johanning during the pre-game warmups.

If it was Bryce, he looked happy to be out there. More importantly, he looked good physically; he leaped up and made a one-hand grab on an overthrown ball - Bryce also played tight end at CPA.
 #75812  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:06 am
Jackal, good call on bringing up Ethan Harris. That grab on the pass he stretched out to catch was a beauty. He caught that pass right in front of me. He saw the pass was ahead of him, he gave a quick burst and then dove for the ball. Harris looks to have very good instincts.

Another thing not mentioned… friggin' Nic Cannon (88) is a special teams sniper. He did ring his own bell on that huge hit. Cannon is a weapon on special teams.
 #75813  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:40 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:00 am
Concerning Tyler's touchdown run, when he turned and faced the defender.
I guess he just turned but didn't say anything; one of the refs came over to Huff after the touchdown and said something to him. That played a role in the taunting call - cause that hit by the KSU defender should have been called unnecessary roughness.

GoFU… the only other player (starter) from last season that could come back is McCormick. I'm unsure where he stands related to his concussion injury in the spring. I think I saw him for the first time on the sidelines of a game (he wasn't in uniform). I'm pretty sure it was him throwing the ball with Johanning during the pre-game warmups.

If it was Bryce, he looked happy to be out there. More importantly, he looked good physically; he leaped up and made a one-hand grab on an overthrown ball - Bryce also played tight end at CPA.
Astro, Right. I agree.

Jackal said - in some prior post - that CCH said there were ‘several’ players that could return for conference play. I am NOT picking on Jackal. I am NOT. but, you know injuries are my thing. Lol. I just don’t know if anyone could return other than Johanning. That’s based on everything I have read. I don’t know of several? I would love to be wrong and find there is another player or two who might hit the field. But I think we basically have last nights roster + Johanning for the conference.

(Side note. I think Sirrod Cook left and did not return to this game. Did anyone see him return?
 #75814  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:49 am
By the way. I like to be objective.

Yep. The hit in the endzone by KSU on Huff shoulda been a 15 yard penalty.

However w got a HUGE break when they called a second personal foul in a row on KSU as we drove late in their territory. For those in person the TV broadcast went over it once or twice more and we couldn’t find anything. The announcers even said KSU should send that to the NCAA it was so horrible. Tv Crew kept looking at it and can’t find anything. Officials said “number 6” did it but he didn’t appear to do anything at all. And that’s big if they got the wrong number on a PF call. Because if he gets another he is disqualified despite not deserving it bc the first call was inadvertently attributed to him. Huge

Can anyone explain that PF on KSU? The announcers couldn’t. I couldn’t. It was the one later in game where it was second PF call in a row. (I don’t think any other time had 2 PFoul calls in a row. Both were on KSU here)

I hope I get some answers. When we get jobbed (USC) everyone goes off. Well, let’s explain the other side too. Plus I’m just curious what was there. I couldn’t see Anything based on tv

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.