• (9-0) #25 Furman @ USC-Upstate Saturday Dec. 8th

#7542  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 am
This is definitely a very tough game for Furman. Upstate is far better than their W-L record indicates. Because of the closeness of the 2 schools, because of their record vs our record, and because of the over-confident (or you might say arrogant) attitude of our fans and possibly of our team, a loss in this game would be a big black eye for our program seeming to be riding so high at the moment. I expect that a win by Upstate would get a lot more media attention state-wide than a win by Furman. One reason for that would be Brandon Martin (son of Frank Martin) being on the Spartans (freshman forward 6-5, 215, forward).
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #7550  by MNORM
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 am
gman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 am
In light of the snow storm that is coming, I wonder if there is any discussion about moving up the tip-off up to noon?
That would require the women's game to be moved up to 9:30 am (our game is the 2nd of a double-header). I haven't seen a forecast , so far, showing anything but rain until around midnight. That said, I'd love for them to move tip-off up a couple hours...women's game vs BJU at noon and our game at 2:30. Either way, I'll be there...a little snow falling on warm roads is no big deal.
 #7553  by CharlieFU
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:57 am
affirm wrote:
This is definitely a very tough game for Furman. Upstate is far better than their W-L record indicates. Because of the closeness of the 2 schools, because of their record vs our record, and because of the over-confident (or you might say
arrogant) attitude of our fans and possibly of our team, a loss in this game would be a big black eye for our program seeming to be riding so high at the moment. I expect that a win by Upstate would get a
lot more media attention state-wide than a win by Furman. One reason for that would be Brandon Martin (son of Frank Martin) being on the Spartans (freshman forward 6-5, 215, forward).
Really? A black eye on the program? Can we not enjoy this little run without that kind of talk? We are going to lose games; in fact, every remaining game is a possible loss. We are going to have lapses where we play poorly and the other team plays well. That will happen. On the other hand, we ought to expect to win every remaining game! That’s got to be the team’s attitude. Even at LSU.

Isn’t it fun to watch a team that expects to win? It’s a shame some watch with an eye toward losing and it’s effects on the team. Sad really.
gman, MNORM, RCFU and 4 others liked this
 #7554  by gman
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am
affirm wrote:
This is definitely a very tough game for Furman. Upstate is far better than their W-L record indicates. Because of the closeness of the 2 schools, because of their record vs our record, and because of the over-confident (or you might say arrogant) attitude of our fans and possibly of our team, a loss in this game would be a big black eye for our program seeming to be riding so high at the moment. I expect that a win by Upstate would get a lot more media attention state-wide than a win by Furman. One reason for that would be Brandon Martin (son of Frank Martin) being on the Spartans (freshman forward 6-5, 215, forward).
Bah humbug.
underjack liked this
 #7555  by furpop16
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 am
gman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am
affirm wrote:
Bah humbug.

Optimism may be good for the soul, but a pessimist is never disappointed.
- Benjamin Franklin
underjack, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #7557  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am
gman wrote:
In light of the snow storm that is coming, I wonder if there is any discussion about moving up the tip-off up to noon?

I am seeing only rain Saturday (game should end about 6:30pm), with temps around 37F
 #7562  by Fessor
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:

I am seeing only rain Saturday (game should end about 6:30pm), with temps around 37F
There is a long list of reasons to want to be out of Spartanburg before the sun sets.
gman, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #7565  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:
This is definitely a very tough game for Furman. Upstate is far better than their W-L record indicates. Because of the closeness of the 2 schools, because of their record vs our record, and because of the over-confident (or you might say
arrogant) attitude of our fans and possibly of our team, a loss in this game would be a big black eye for our program seeming to be riding so high at the moment. I expect that a win by Upstate would get a
lot more media attention state-wide than a win by Furman. One reason for that would be Brandon Martin (son of Frank Martin) being on the Spartans (freshman forward 6-5, 215, forward).
Really? A black eye on the program? Can we not enjoy this little run without that kind of talk? We are going to lose games; in fact, every remaining game is a possible loss. We are going to have lapses where we play poorly and the other team plays well. That will happen. On the other hand, we ought to expect to win every remaining game! That’s got to be the team’s attitude. Even at LSU.

Isn’t it fun to watch a team that expects to win? It’s a shame some watch with an eye toward losing and it’s effects on the team. Sad really.
The subject of my post is this one game only. I agree with you that we are going to lose games this season. I do not agree that we ought to expect to win every remaining game. The purpose of my post is is to get everyone to realize that this particular game Saturday is one we need to be wary about, because I believe most people think it’s a given that we will win it. Hopefully we WILL win it. I know it’s “heresy” on this board to say we might not. I don’t care about that. It is a fact that Upststate has shown improvement during several recent games. In the last 2 weeks, they beat Cal Poly, lost to Eastern Kentucky barely, and lost to Western Michigan barely.
 #7566  by MNORM
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:

The subject of my post is this one game only. I agree with you that we are going to lose games this season. I do not agree that we ought to expect to win every remaining game. The purpose of my post is is to get everyone to realize that this particular game Saturday is one we need to be wary about, because I believe most people think it’s a given that we will win it. Hopefully we WILL win it. I know it’s “heresy” on this board to say we might not. I don’t care about that.
That may have been the purpose of your original post, but it's not the way it came off. Saying that somehow, one loss, to a decent team, would be a "black-eye" for the program, and that our players may be acting arrogant, is simply ridiculous. If the purpose of your post was to bring to light the fact that it isn't a given we are going to win on Saturday, then just say so...spare us the hyperbole. Our players aren't acting arrogant, or even over-confident. Have you listened to the AllDin podcasts, the post-game player interviews, CBR's interviews, or spoke one-on-one with any players?? These guys are grounded, living in the moment, and confident that they belong on the court with every program in the country. I've been waiting for this for 20+ years and my expectation is that we NEVER go back to the days of mediocrity and low-confidence, timid play.
I hope to see you Saturday in Spartanburg cheering our boys on...I know I'll be.
FU03times liked this
 #7570  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:54 pm
Fessor wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:

There is a long list of reasons to want to be out of Spartanburg before the sun sets.

Right, fortunately looks like weather should hold up for us, rain and 37 degrees should be manageable at least
 #7580  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:

The subject of my post is this one game only. I agree with you that we are going to lose games this season. I do not agree that we ought to expect to win every remaining game. The purpose of my post is is to get everyone to realize that this particular game Saturday is one we need to be wary about, because I believe most people think it’s a given that we will win it. Hopefully we WILL win it. I know it’s “heresy” on this board to say we might not. I don’t care about that.
That may have been the purpose of your original post, but it's not the way it came off. Saying that somehow, one loss, to a decent team, would be a "black-eye" for the program, and that our players may be acting arrogant, is simply ridiculous. If the purpose of your post was to bring to light the fact that it isn't a given we are going to win on Saturday, then just say so...spare us the hyperbole. Our players aren't acting arrogant, or even over-confident. Have you listened to the AllDin podcasts, the post-game player interviews, CBR's interviews, or spoke one-on-one with any players?? These guys are grounded, living in the moment, and confident that they belong on the court with every program in the country. I've been waiting for this for 20+ years and my expectation is that we NEVER go back to the days of mediocrity and low-confidence, timid play.
I hope to see you Saturday in Spartanburg cheering our boys on...I know I'll be.
Over-confidence/arrogance: I was assigning that mainly to fans and to persons on this message board. Admittedly, I said “and possibly to the team”. I hereby retract that. Yet I still believe overconfidence (or perhaps just being not at the best for whatever reason - it’s already been pointed out that we’ve seemingly played to the level of our competition) can occur and has occurred with numerous teams in somewhat similar situations.
On Wednesday, one poster on this message board actually said “this may be arrogance” in preface to the question “will someone please explain why we are playing this game against Upstate at their place?”
On the same day, another poster replied “good question.”
I also admit “black eye” was not the best phrase to have used. I could have said “damage to the present brightness of our great season to date, including a quick departure, at least temporarily, from our recent ascent to the top 25”.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.