• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#75587  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:32 pm
No Game Notes for the owlets yet...but FUBeAR took a gander at their Game Notes for Tusculum and Chatt. They seem to be updating them with some basis in reality. So, it will be interesting to see the Depth Chart when they release theirs this week.

Below are the owlets who were not on the Depth Chart for TU, but were for Chatt...

OFFENSE CHATTANOOGA Depth Chart Adds
#1 RB #1 Gabriel Benyard 5-10, 185, Jr.
#3 TE Y/T #82 Seth Adams 6-3, 265, Jr.

DEFENSE CHATTANOOGA Depth Chart Adds
#1 DE #95 Joel Parker 6-0, 260, Gr.
#2 DE #94 Jordan Miles 6-2, 245, Jr.
#1 NT #99 Pooda Walker 6-1, 310, So.
#1 DT #92 Carlos Allen 60, 290, Sr.
#1 MIKE #44 Baron Hopson 6-1, 215, Jr.
#1 WILL #7 Garland Benyard 6-1, 215, Jr.
#2 WILL #49 Juan Silas 6-1, 205, So.
#1 CB #20 Tyler Hallum 5-11, 180, Jr.
#1 CB #3 Chance Gamble 6-2, 180, Jr.

So...a lot on D sat out the Tusculum game. We will get ALL THEIR BEST. No need to watch their game with the Pioneers if'n ur into doin' such things
FUBEAR Great catch! That’s an entire freakin defense
 #75588  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:29 am
Game Notes: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... _Stats.pdf

Fred Norman, Wayne Anderson, and Kendall Thomas all listed on the depth chart.

Alex Maier, who didn't play in the first two contests, is back on the depth chart. He's one of our better pass rushers.
Jackal, thanks for the game notes. The furmanpaladins site is having trouble with the game note link at his time. Appreciate you putting the link here
 #75594  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:32 pm
No Game Notes for the owlets yet...but FUBeAR took a gander at their Game Notes for Tusculum and Chatt. They seem to be updating them with some basis in reality. So, it will be interesting to see the Depth Chart when they release theirs this week.

Below are the owlets who were not on the Depth Chart for TU, but were for Chatt...

OFFENSE CHATTANOOGA Depth Chart Adds
#1 RB #1 Gabriel Benyard 5-10, 185, Jr.
#3 TE Y/T #82 Seth Adams 6-3, 265, Jr.

DEFENSE CHATTANOOGA Depth Chart Adds
#1 DE #95 Joel Parker 6-0, 260, Gr.
#2 DE #94 Jordan Miles 6-2, 245, Jr.
#1 NT #99 Pooda Walker 6-1, 310, So.
#1 DT #92 Carlos Allen 60, 290, Sr.
#1 MIKE #44 Baron Hopson 6-1, 215, Jr.
#1 WILL #7 Garland Benyard 6-1, 215, Jr.
#2 WILL #49 Juan Silas 6-1, 205, So.
#1 CB #20 Tyler Hallum 5-11, 180, Jr.
#1 CB #3 Chance Gamble 6-2, 180, Jr.

So...a lot on D sat out the Tusculum game. We will get ALL THEIR BEST. No need to watch their game with the Pioneers if'n ur into doin' such things

I didn't do a deep dive, but it would appear that while none of these guys are freshmen, they are players that have not used their redshirt season.

My speculation is that Kennesaw coaches know they are only playing 9 games this year, will be in the FBS next year, and are giving the option to redshirt to their veteran players that still have the eligibility to do so (along with, I would assume, most/all of their true freshmen).

I agree, though. We'll get the best team they've got Saturday.
 #75595  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:52 am
Their game highlights from UTC.

Just observationally, the KSU offense is sort of "quick twitch." The QB and backs are not going to hammer away at you, but are speedy and frequently try to hit the edge and out run the defense. Most of the passing game appears to be focused on getting the ball out quickly, though the QB - who has played in an option system for years - looks to be ready to run at the first sign of trouble. They also appear to run a fair amount of screens and try to get their athletic backfield in space.

Defensively, the only thing that really seemed to stand out was their pass rush. The Owls front appears to come up the field hard and frequently seems to lose gap integrity or containment on the edge. Essentially, they overrun where they are supposed to be leaving gaps in the defense. Chattanooga exploited them once the QB/Backs could avoid that initial blitz up the field. That would be a dangerous game to play against Furman, I think, with our backfield.

#75600  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:55 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:52 am
Their game highlights from UTC.

Just observationally, the KSU offense is sort of "quick twitch." The QB and backs are not going to hammer away at you, but are speedy and frequently try to hit the edge and out run the defense. Most of the passing game appears to be focused on getting the ball out quickly, though the QB - who has played in an option system for years - looks to be ready to run at the first sign of trouble. They also appear to run a fair amount of screens and try to get their athletic backfield in space.

Defensively, the only thing that really seemed to stand out was their pass rush. The Owls front appears to come up the field hard and frequently seems to lose gap integrity or containment on the edge. Essentially, they overrun where they are supposed to be leaving gaps in the defense. Chattanooga exploited them once the QB/Backs could avoid that initial blitz up the field. That would be a dangerous game to play against Furman, I think, with our backfield.

Haven’t watched but a quarter of UTC KSU but that scheme of KSU sounds like one’s that limits sacks. More runs than passes. Edge passes and quick short routes. Running QB. Hopefully we can be in their backfield.

I did notice they leave gaps for the QB to take off. Go QB Huff
 #75605  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:18 am
You may be surprised to know UTC sacked KSU's quarterback 5 times. D2 Tusculum got him twice.
KSU Game Notes out this AM - https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sid ... otes_5.pdf - 2 very minor changes from Chatt 2-deep - backup NT and backup Punt Returner reverted to those Players on the Tusculum 2-deep.

To Jackals Sacks Against point…

O-Line seems to be built to run block - big teapots - short & stout … < 6-2 / ~295 (Aww…just like FUBeAR Jr. was when he was a Bear. He lives in Kennesaw now and will be in attendance. Maybe Coach Bohannon will want to suit him up after halftime…and FUBeAR can do the Presidential Army/Navy walk across the field to the other side as part of the halftime ceremony. Prolly not…FUBeAR Jr. is only about 240 now)

…AND QB, while a strong runner, doesn’t seem to have that Pocket Awareness/Escape-ability that other QB’s do. Seems to get frantic and run into, rather than away from, rushers. Hope he doesn’t fix that in practice this week.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #75606  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:15 am
That was my general takeaway.

In the face of pressure, the QB appears to pull the ball and look for an escape route instead of moving in the pocket and looking downfield. Sometimes he'll break contain and run, sometimes he'll get tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

It does not appear that the offensive line is really built to sustain pass blocks, however. That would somewhat explain the sack totals as well as the propensity to rely on slants, short routes, and screens.
 #75607  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:18 am
To me, I think this should be a good matchup for our defense.

The KSU backfield is slippery, but two things we do well are stuff the run up the middle, and get off blocks on the edge and make tackles in the open field.

It appeared UTC was able to move the ball pretty well on them and jumped out to a big lead in the early going. KSU made a comeback with the help of Moc turnovers.
 #75647  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:14 am
What in the Tron is this?

I read about teams before the game, but honestly, this surprised me.

https://x.com/kennesawstfb/status/17024 ... 57024?s=20
Couldn’t get much goofier…could they?
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75659  by fupaladin01
 Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:42 am
I thought it was kinda cool.

Of course the real reason they're wearing all yellow is so when they see Big Fred coming at them and they piss their pants, it won't show up in the unis.
 #75673  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:46 pm
Let’s show up and be loud !!!

This is an important game.

I will not be there - weak I know - but will be at Mercer. Yell loud for me. Let the guys know we support them !
AstroDin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.