#75499  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:38 pm
Stop the video at 5:24

Some creative stuff we are seeing. Pline is split wide. He's flanked by Harris and Ferguson who are behind him. Dean split to the other side of the field. Roberto goes in motion out behind the trips formation.

I thought this was going to be a touchdown pre-snap. USC seemed confused on who they needed to be covering. Usually not ideal to have 3 defenders covering 4 receivers.

This looks to be a single read to Dean - the outside linebacker rushes so Huff throws the slant. It was incomplete, but you can see where against an FCS school this may be a house call.

Even then, lot of cool stuff you can do here. Throw the slant to Dean. USC's got only three men out to the four receiver formation, so you have numbers. The upman is 260 lbs AND you have Roberto out there, so a little bubble screen to Ferguson and he'd have Harris, Pline, and Roberto in front of him. If the defense spreads out against the four receivers, I bet Huff would have an option to run the draw.

#75501  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:40 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:25 am
A night game at Williams Brice can be electric — I've been to many nights at W-B over the years. The SC-Furman game was the most electric I've ever witnessed in person.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of Gameday at W-B. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. I loved the energy.
The situation of "a night game at Williams-Brice can be electric" and of "whoever is in charge of Gameday at W-B" deserving Kudos for providing "the energy" that you loved so much, is because they, and really all the SEC, have such any enormous amount of money to spend on providing that. And I just read an article describing the USC football program Nutritionist and Assistant Nutritionist. Do we have a nutritionist? A professional nutritionist such as theirs whose previous gig was with the Chicago Cubs? A program for that, making sure that our players have no excuses for not getting the right foods at the right times in the right amounts, as well as the right amounts of rest and sleep, etc. And all this on top of the rigged officiating, etc. Yeah, we get $500,000. With all the money that USC has for football, etc., they should have given us a lot more than that. They do whatever the minimum is to get a team to come. We come. It's not a level playing field, in multiple ways. We did great given all of the advantages that they have over us. We did great.
Anyway, we just need to realize that when we sign up for a situation such as this, whether against USC or Clemson, it is not a level playing field. I am not advocating that we not play these games. I wish we did not have to. We need the money. And it seems that our players enjoy and look forward to the challenge and the opportunity. It helps our recruiting.. Still I wish we did have to play these games.
It IS time to move on.
The most important game for us now is Kennesaw State.
Beat Kennesaw State.
 #75519  by FurmAlum
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
A night game at Williams Brice can be electric — I've been to many nights at W-B over the years. The SC-Furman game was the most electric I've ever witnessed in person.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of Gameday at W-B. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. I loved the energy.
A night game at W-B can be intimidating to the opponent and give the home team some extra energy to perform well. Just ask UT. USC whooped a darn good Vol team last year at home at night.

I didn't think Furman was intimidated at all. The only people that were were the Refs.

I know it will never happen, but like the NCAA basketball tournament, if Furman could get USC on a neutral field with fair Refs the outcome might be a lot closer or who knows...
 #75521  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:09 am
affirm wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

The situation of "a night game at Williams-Brice can be electric" and of "whoever is in charge of Gameday at W-B" deserving Kudos for providing "the energy" that you loved so much, is because they, and really all the SEC, have such any enormous amount of money to spend on providing that. And I just read an article describing the USC football program Nutritionist and Assistant Nutritionist. Do we have a nutritionist? A professional nutritionist such as theirs whose previous gig was with the Chicago Cubs? A program for that, making sure that our players have no excuses for not getting the right foods at the right times in the right amounts, as well as the right amounts of rest and sleep, etc. And all this on top of the rigged officiating, etc. Yeah, we get $500,000. With all the money that USC has for football, etc., they should have given us a lot more than that. They do whatever the minimum is to get a team to come. We come. It's not a level playing field, in multiple ways. We did great given all of the advantages that they have over us. We did great.
Anyway, we just need to realize that when we sign up for a situation such as this, whether against USC or Clemson, it is not a level playing field. I am not advocating that we not play these games. I wish we did not have to. We need the money. And it seems that our players enjoy and look forward to the challenge and the opportunity. It helps our recruiting.. Still I wish we did have to play these games.
It IS time to move on.
Beat Kennesaw State.
This.

USC never did count. Want a top seed? BEAT KSU. had we beaten usc and lost to KSU I don’t know what woulda happened in polls. But it’s fine to lose to USC as long as we beat KSU. TTU and KSU Are both more important than usc. Any day

Move on. Only thing usc did was showed us relative areas of strength and weakness

I hope USC loses every game from here on out. I really do. You should too if so many feel about the refs the way they posted. I hope they go 4-7 and Beamer catches some heat. It could happen too. Every week I’m pulling for Furman and the opponent of USC. Go uga
 #75524  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:44 am
The Jackal wrote:

Some creative stuff we are seeing. Pline is split wide. He's flanked by Harris and Ferguson who are behind him. Dean split to the other side of the field. Roberto goes in motion out behind the trips formation.

I thought this was going to be a touchdown pre-snap. USC seemed confused on who they needed to be covering. Usually not ideal to have 3 defenders covering 4 receivers.

This looks to be a single read to Dean - the outside linebacker rushes so Huff throws the slant. It was incomplete, but you can see where against an FCS school this may be a house call.

Even then, lot of cool stuff you can do here. Throw the slant to Dean. USC's got only three men out to the four receiver formation, so you have numbers. The upman is 260 lbs AND you have Roberto out there, so a little bubble screen to Ferguson and he'd have Harris, Pline, and Roberto in front of him. If the defense spreads out against the four receivers, I bet Huff would have an option to run the draw.

6:12 mark.

Not sure the situation with Anderson, but he runs the ball really well here.

Honestly, if you want to know something about the character of this team, watch Huff on that play. He ends up as the lead blocker for Anderson and takes on #7 Strachan, who is listed at 6'5 243. Huff gets after him and gives Anderson space to run.
 #75525  by Affirm
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:05 am
gofurman wrote:
affirm wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

It IS time to move on.
Beat Kennesaw State.
This.

USC never did count. Want a top seed? BEAT KSU. had we beaten usc and lost to KSU I don’t know what woulda happened in polls. But it’s fine to lose to USC as long as we beat KSU. TTU and KSU Are both more important than usc. Any day

Move on. Only thing usc did was showed us relative areas of strength and weakness

I hope USC loses every game from here on out. I really do. You should too if so many feel about the refs the way they posted. I hope they go 4-7 and Beamer catches some heat. It could happen too. Every week I’m pulling for Furman and the opponent of USC. Go uga
Except for the Clemson game, I hope they win every game from here on and finish regular season 10-2. That makes Furman’s loss look a lot better, although I hope we proceed to win every game in any case from here on out. By the way, I think Clemson is more likely to end up with only 4 or 5 or 6 wins than USC is. It’s a 12-game regular season for both USC and Clemson.
Beat Kennesaw State.
 #75526  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Honestly, if you want to know something about the character of this team, watch Huff on that play. He ends up as the lead blocker for Anderson and takes on #7 Strachan, who is listed at 6'5 243. Huff gets after him and gives Anderson space to run.
9:01 - Dimaggio's hit on Rattler.

Not sure if that's the hardest hit a defender will get on Rattler this season, but it will do until that hit comes. Decleats him.

Dimaggio is developing a bit of a reputation for a guy that will absolutely lay the wood on you.
 #75527  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Not sure if that's the hardest hit a defender will get on Rattler this season, but it will do until that hit comes. Decleats him.

Dimaggio is developing a bit of a reputation for a guy that will absolutely lay the wood on you.
10:38 is the "pass interference" on Ferguson.

I'm not sure exactly what the refs saw.
 #75528  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:07 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:05 am
gofurman wrote:
affirm wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

It IS time to move on.
Beat Kennesaw State.
This.

Except for the Clemson game, I hope they win every game from here on and finish regular season 10-2. That makes Furman’s loss look a lot better, although I hope we proceed to win every game in any case from here on out. By the way, I think Clemson is more likely to end up with only 4 or 5 or 6 wins than USC is. It’s a 12-game regular season for both USC and Clemson.
Beat Kennesaw State.
FUBeAR is a Clemson Alum. FUBeAR is a Furman Fan…and Furman Alum.

Based on exactly your logic, FUBeAR hopes South Carolina beats Clemson 223-0 this season.

Why would a real Furman Fan not want South Carolina to beat the TiggerPoop out of Clemson in 2023? It’s illogical for a real Furman Fan to not want that.
QCGlue liked this
 #75529  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

10:38 is the "pass interference" on Ferguson.

I'm not sure exactly what the refs saw.
This is what the Ref saw. And…a description of what he ‘thought’ he might have seen.

Ferguson ran directly toward #6 from the snap. As he got close to #6, he broke down…lowering his hips & raising his arms in front of him as one would IF they were going to block the DB with the targeted WR (Shiflett) right behind him (#12)(see below).
BUT…as soon as Ferguson did that, he lowered his arms and cut inside. He faked as if he were going to block the DB and the DB grabbed him as soon as he dropped his arms and cut.
The problem is Ferguson also faked out the Ref and the SEC-paid Official called what he thought he might see rather than what he actually did see.

This is the thing that Refs do the most that irritates FUBeAR the most. They call what they think might have happened because of the way things looked before (in this case) or after (like when a punt cover guy goes flying by the returner and a return team player is near him… ‘block in the back” called even if the return team Player never touched him)…cuz the Ref called what he thought may have happened based on something he/she didn’t actually see. It’s infuriating.

FUBeAR speculates that USC saw Ferguson do this on video and told the Refs to watch for Furman ‘picking’ on our RPO’s…during a pre-game conference or during one of their many love fests with the Gamecock Coaching Staff during the game.
 #75530  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:44 am
Rarely do you hear a coach confirm bad officiating that we fans think we see but CCH confirmed the 4 bad calls/no calls in the last minute of the half. The bogus offensive PI on Ferguson, the bad spot on third down, the pushoff on their long completion that was a no call and the PI on Blackshear at the goalline that should have been a no call. 4 bad calls in 40 seconds.
QCGlue, FUBeAR, Purple rain and 3 others liked this
 #75531  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:22 am
It just seemed a bit inconsistent to me.

The commentators will always say "they're letting them play." Ok, then let both teams play. Don't call one team tight and the other team loose.
QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #75536  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:34 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:07 am
FUBeAR is a Clemson Alum.
LOL - A Clemson Alum who took 80% or his Clemson classes @ Furman with almost exclusively Furman Prof's and topped off the last 20% @ Georgia State.

Diploma says Clemson, but the only time FUBeAR was on Clemson's campus was to take the GMAT, to play Football, or after leaving Bullwinkle's late at night with a newfound on-campus-residing Clemson friend.

Does that fit within you idea of 'it' 'making sense?' :D
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #75537  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:46 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:22 am
It just seemed a bit inconsistent to me.

The commentators will always say "they're letting them play." Ok, then let both teams play. Don't call one team tight and the other team loose.
What was also funny is they started calling a bunch of ticky-tack Holding Penalties on USC's OLmen after the game was out of hand. They really weren't holding and they were inconsequential to the outcome of the game, but they were oddly called. Trying to 'even up' # of calls / penalty yards, maybe?

Team Statistics
Statistic _______FUR USC

Penalties - Yds. 6-53 8-60 (or 5-30 w/o the late 'possible' make-up phantom holding calls)

1st and 10 at USC38 No Huddle-Shotgun Anderson,Mario rush left for 6 yards gain to the S. Car44 (Ryan,Hugh) PENALTY S. Car Holding (Moore,Jakai) 10 yards from S. Car38 to S. Car28. NO PLAY.

2nd and 8 at USC50 No Huddle-Shotgun McDowell,Juju rush middle for 9 yards gain (2) to the Furman41 (Miller,Jalen) PENALTY S. Car Holding (Fugar,Sidney) 10 yards from Furman48 to S. Car42.

2nd and 3 at USC33 No Huddle-Shotgun Bailey,Tanner pass complete short middle to Elksnis,Nick for 13 yards to the S. Car46 (Gummer,Jalen) PENALTY S. Car Holding (Jones,Trai) 10 yards from S. Car33 to S. Car23. NO PLAY.

3 inconsequential calls for 30 yards evens up the numbers nicely...None of these looked like holding...maybe the last one...don't think FUBeAR couldn't really see that one...so not sure

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.