• FU vs. ETSU (Semifinals March 4th 6:30pm)

#739  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:42 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am
6) Our basketball facility is sub-par; who wants to play their whole career in Timmons when they can play in Wofford's facility?
Jordan Lyons is an example of a kid who chose to play in Timmons for four years over Woffy’s arenas. He had offers from both and I for one am very glad he chose Furman. As for Timmons, its not the best, its not the worst, and by no means is it a deal breaker.
 #740  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am
I can't say anything more than facts...But I realize even facts can't please everyone...But 13 compared to 46 is like comparing a shark to a minnow, though I am no Jaques Cousteau.
 #741  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am
Midlands Paladin...you are so right....He chose FU over Wofford and Mercer, which wouldn't have been but a hop, skip and a jump for his family to come watch him play...Even Chattanooga came in on him late.
 #742  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:52 am
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am
I can't say anything more than facts...But I realize even facts can't please everyone...But 13 compared to 46 is like comparing a shark to a minnow, though I am no Jaques Cousteau.
I agree with you, and I think BR has done a good job. However, all of the excuses concerning why we can't make it to the Big Dance are just that - excuses. Hopefully BR will get us there. No reason we shouldn't be able to win the tourney in years ahead.
soconjohn liked this
 #743  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 am
Agreed Paladin91...I am not going to name names, but I think anyone who has followed Furman basketball can figure this out....There is one coach in particular that damaged this program and the psyche more than any since the departure of Butch Estes...It's not Joe Cantafio...It's not Larry Davis...that leaves one other...All Medved and RIchey have had to do is try and rebuild a fragile confidence of the players inherited, while recruiting new talent to a program that had been a traditional SoCon doormat...That takes time.
FU69 liked this
 #745  by Jasper
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm
I think Bob Richey had a tremendous year for his first year. It will be interesting to see this team next year without Sibley, Davis, and Fowler. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure why Brown is a starter on the court. You get a lot more athleticism out of Mounce. And whatever happened to Jonathan Jean? He didn't look bad in late minutes against WCU, but never gets playing time.
You are reading my mind today, 91. Jonathan Jean's absence is a total mystery to me. He is a penetrating, slashing guard with great court vision and finishing moves. He looks good every time he gets a bit of playing time and was a substantial spot contributor in past years. I have no idea what kind of practice player he might be however.
soconjohn liked this
 #746  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:09 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 am
Butch Estes was Furman's last truly great coach until Medved and Richey...That really can't be disputed.
Although I will add that Medved's departure did not help the program in the short-term, at least in terms of self-confidence for the players he left behind. Obviously a very personal decision on his part, but nonetheless had an impact.
AllKnighter liked this
 #747  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm
Maybe...But you can't blame Medved...If he wanted to be closer to the midwest and family with a new baby...I don't blame him...Remember, he applied for the job the first time and was rejected...Furman was lucky to get him back...I guess Jeff Jackson was a better hire...I, for one, and thankful that Medved came back and stayed long enough to recruit players to get 19, 23 and 23 wins...Maybe folks are more satisfied with 6 and 7 wins.
 #749  by CharlieFU
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:22 pm
in case you missed the announcement, there is a plan underway to raise $1 million for basketball programs. That will help. Paladin91's 10 point list is too long for me to respond to right now.
MNORM liked this
 #752  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm
I think Bob Richey had a tremendous year for his first year. It will be interesting to see this team next year without Sibley, Davis, and Fowler. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure why Brown is a starter on the court. You get a lot more athleticism out of Mounce. And whatever happened to Jonathan Jean? He didn't look bad in late minutes against WCU, but never gets playing time.
You are reading my mind today, 91. Jonathan Jean's absence is a total mystery to me. He is a penetrating, slashing guard with great court vision and finishing moves. He looks good every time he gets a bit of playing time and was a substantial spot contributor in past years. I have no idea what kind of practice player he might be however.
I'm sure I can second guess coaches, but there comes a point when you have to recognize that (1) one guy is in charge, (2) he is at every practice and every game, and (3) there is nobody (literally nobody) that has more riding on the success of the team than he does.

If a guy does not play, I presume that the man with the most at stake has a good reason for making that decision.
FU69 liked this
 #755  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:31 pm
What I love/hate about being in a low-major/mid-major conference is last night. The difference in a few years is stunning and has made for some really fun basketball, and the fact that we played our worst game in a longggg time and only lost by 11 is pretty remarkable showing of the change in the program. But the result is the same. In a one-bid league, it's NCAAs or bust. And it's been bust for 38 years now. I truly believe we have the program to get over the hump. And the coach. I don't know the sport or the program well enough to know if a more-experienced head coach helps this year or yesterday, but I'll ride or die with BR. The man seems special. In his words and the way the players treat him. I think the team could be good next year. Really good. And I fully expect to see them right back in contention for that elusive NCAA appearance.

As far as this year, in Scott Keeler's article he said the seniors saw their collegiate careers come to an end last night. I wonder if a decision has already been made about not playing in the CIT or another small tournament again? I would love for this team to keep playing, but if it's not in them, I think we would all understand.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.