#75427  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:08 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:31 pm
I guess I’m getting old but I couldn’t deal with that sea of humanity every week. I had fun but if I’m going back to Clemson or to Williams Brice I’m going to have to have a hookup with front gate parking/drop off and luxury box seats.

I guess I won’t be going back.
Navigating a game at Clemson is much better and much easier than at Carolina. I will never go back to a game in Columbia. I will go to a game at Clemson, which has a much better family atmosphere.
 #75428  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:25 am
A night game at Williams Brice can be electric — I've been to many nights at W-B over the years. The SC-Furman game was the most electric I've ever witnessed in person.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of Gameday at W-B. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. I loved the energy.
QCGlue liked this
 #75431  by Purple rain
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:19 am
We got beat by a very athletic football team. We had some great moments and some not so great. The officials did not beat us but I got tired of seeing those NFL sized receivers push off on our DBS on those long passes and then we get called for a bogus Offensive interference?????
We had to play perfect to have a chance to win. We did not play perfect.
I am still proud of the Dins. This bunch has it all in front of them.
GO FU!
 #75433  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 am
I predicted a 31-27 Furman win over a month ago, so I am extremely disappointed in the loss. After watching the game again, I have another prediction. If Rattler stays healthy, USC is going to have a good season. Also, we are going to be fine. We have an experienced and well coached team. It’s going to be a great year for Furman football.
Purple rain, Flagman, dornb liked this
 #75436  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:49 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:18 am
Prediction: Georgia will beat South Carolina worse than South Carolina beat Furman.
I'm actually not as sold on Georgia as in recent years… who knows? I didn't see Bama getting spanked at home.
 #75437  by gman84
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:05 am
AstroDin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Prediction: Georgia will beat South Carolina worse than South Carolina beat Furman.
I'm actually not as sold on Georgia as in recent years… who knows? I didn't see Bama getting spanked at home.
Agree, Georgia is having some issues running the ball. If SC could effectively run the ball, they would be a more dynamic offense for sure.
AstroDin liked this
 #75438  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:14 am
gman84 wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Agree, Georgia is having some issues running the ball. If SC could effectively run the ball, they would be a more dynamic offense for sure.

I think the national landscape informs a bit of my view of the state of our program today.

Furman has looked good-not-great the first two games, but how many teams nationally have just looked amazing? A bunch of nationally ranked teams have already lost.
 #75459  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:14 am
gman84 wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Flagman wrote:

I think the national landscape informs a bit of my view of the state of our program today.

Furman has looked good-not-great the first two games, but how many teams nationally have just looked amazing? A bunch of nationally ranked teams have already lost.
Texas. FSU etc. Some
 #75461  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:38 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:35 pm
Last year our performance against Clemson was one of our best in a long time against a FCS opponent. We outgained Clemson in yardage. Tyler Huff played great.

For us to even compete, he has to bring his A game as does the offense.

Also need some turnovers for sure.
I mean, while anything can happen, I feel pretty safe in saying Furman is going to be "competitive" Saturday. We may not win, but I'm fairly confident that South Carolina is going to know they played a tough football game on Saturday.

I was surprised to see that the Gamecocks, at most positions, are not particularly any bigger than Furman's counterparts. They came into the season returning only 10 starters, two of which are the kicker and punter.
I don’t know. Though you are probably right at some positions the WR speed and and size / strength - and inability to get ANY pass rush - just killed us. Those WRs had too long and were indeed too big and fast. Those last few TDs were just disheartening with third /fourth string WRs having a field day on our CB and safeties. Fourth string!
 #75470  by sluggo
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:54 pm
Rattler selected SEC player of the week.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2023/09/11/ ... -the-week/

I think that says it all; because no way would he be player of the week if he did this against a crappy team.
There must have been some respect for Furman among the selection committee.
QCGlue liked this
 #75482  by HKB60
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:55 pm
A tough loss for the Paladins. Unfortunately we were not able to repeat the Cock Shock of 1982. Just a few observation from an old O-lineman. Wish we would have gone for the first down late in the second half. could have run the ball a couple of times with the time outs we had left. Refs did screw us on the PI call. I don't like us rotating our D lineman every 3 plays. I know that we want to keep them "fresh", but it is hard to establish any kind of rhythm when you are out every 3 plays. Let the starters play and substitute when needed. The players know when they need a break. Loved seeing the QB get under center!! We have a tough, talented and gritty team. Time to whoop up on the Owls as we get ready for SOCON play!!
AstroDin, gman84, QCGlue liked this
 #75486  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:23 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:55 pm
A tough loss for the Paladins. Unfortunately we were not able to repeat the Cock Shock of 1982. Just a few observation from an old O-lineman. Wish we would have gone for the first down late in the second half. could have run the ball a couple of times with the time outs we had left. Refs did screw us on the PI call. I don't like us rotating our D lineman every 3 plays. I know that we want to keep them "fresh", but it is hard to establish any kind of rhythm when you are out every 3 plays. Let the starters play and substitute when needed. The players know when they need a break. Loved seeing the QB get under center!! We have a tough, talented and gritty team. Time to whoop up on the Owls as we get ready for SOCON play!!
I don't have much of an issue with our rotation.

From my observations, We modify the rotation depending on the opponent. USC wanted to move fast, so we substituted more frequently. Against those sorts of fast-paced teams, we'll frequently substitute whenever they do and we'll often substitute when the ball is spotted on "our" side of the field, making the get on/get off time shorter.

Playing South Carolina at that pace will probably prepare us well for future contests against Western Carolina and Samford, both of whom want to move at a breakneck pace.

Against less frenetic opponents, we tend to rotate every series. TTU, for instance, was in the no huddle, but not hurry up. So, they were not running us ragged, but also not substituting and moving fast enough for us to constantly rotate defenders.

Against huddle teams, I think we just substitute when they do - Our big boys will be on the field on run downs, but when they run on that extra receiver on third downs, we'll bring on the pass rush group.

To be honest, the fact that we do all of that and never seem to have issues with substitutes is a testament to coaching and discipline of the team.
Flagman, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.