#75385  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 am
Yep. There are a lot of positives

Run D was strong. Strong until we wore down in later q3 etc.

Our DBs did a great job fighting off blocks of outside pass game and made some great tackles on great athletes. A few plays we had one guy beat a block and then make a tackle for negative yards

We all know our deep pass coverage was …. Not … good. Part of that is we just couldn’t get to the QB much - have to get some pressure. Rattler had waaaay too long to throw. I thought we might get a little more pressure vs the OTs who were from Charlotte and Western Kentucky or whatever. That was a little surprising that we really never got to the QB but it’s hard when they keep throwing laterally. Still, by end game they were heaving the ball deep and we didn’t get in the backfield much ? We were told these were backup transfer walk in FCS OTs. Hopefully we can do better versus FCS comp. We will HAVE to honestly

I will say I was aware of the recruit who caught the 5th or 6th TD. That dude may not be on two deep but will play in NFL by all accounts. He was THE NUMBER ONE ATHLETE in the country last year. 6’5 runs border line Olympic speed 10.2. The number one athlete in HS football!
 #75386  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:09 am
I really hope we beat KSU and Mercer. We could be 5-1 …

Surprised not much comment in other thread on top ten Samford getting KILLED. One more loss for them and that’s solid for us. Now Western may be a problem in that crazy Whee. But right now it’s all KSU. KSU at least runs a lot and only gained 280 on UTC. have to start a thread later. Know a lot more in next week +
 #75387  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:16 am
We knew USC would get away with pushing off on our DB's all night way before the game ever took place, no surprise there, SEC will never do FU any favors...............

NOW!
Someone please explain to me why the ref's marked one of the USC punts down on our 1 yard line???

It was an awful call to be honest how I saw it, the USC player was rolling into the endzone with no control of the ball yet, it was so bogus............
 #75389  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:33 am
din23 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:07 am
One of the main reasons we kept getting beat deep was that we couldn’t get any pressure on Rattler all night. He had forever to let plays develop and give receivers a chance to keep running around until one got free. That was disappointing.

The best thing Carolina did for us was to hand off and to pass horizontally. Once they started going vertical, we were toast.
Game in a nutshell.
 #75392  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:29 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
We knew USC would get away with pushing off on our DB's all night way before the game ever took place, no surprise there, SEC will never do FU any favors...............

NOW!
Someone please explain to me why the ref's marked one of the USC punts down on our 1 yard line???

It was an awful call to be honest how I saw it, the USC player was rolling into the endzone with no control of the ball yet, it was so bogus............
Never seen a call like that. I’ve seen guys catch the ball and their big toe touches the line and its s touchback.
AstroDin, gman84, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #75395  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:15 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:

NOW!

Yep, I couldn't help myself… I yelled out bullsh!$. Got some chuckles from the Gamecocks around me. Not sure how you mark a guy down as he rolled with the ball into the end zone?

I also thought the offensive pass interference against Ferguson was a biggie, I didn't see it — just thought it was pivotable moment on offense after a big first down catch.
 #75397  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:15 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:

NOW!

Yep, I couldn't help myself… I yelled out bullsh!$. Got some chuckles from the Gamecocks around me. Not sure how you mark a guy down as he rolled with the ball into the end zone?

I also thought the offensive pass interference against Ferguson was a biggie, I didn't see it — just thought it was pivotable moment on offense after a big first down catch.
Yep that one call cost FU 7 points.20-14 at vs. 27-14.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #75398  by gman84
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:40 pm
Officiating sucks at all levels. The NFL is a prime example. Billion dollar industry with part time employees called officials. We all know that game last night had its share of BS calls and like Astro, I was vocal too. However, we lost that game when SC decided to throw over the top and forget the short passing game. I was frustrated by our lack of pressure that allowed Rattler to pick us apart. Let’s face it, we don’t have the athletes they do. What we do have is a gritty team that plays physical. #39 can lay the lumber. #3 made several one on one tackles in space. Going forward, if we play to our potential and stay healthy we can make run. Kennesaw is not a conference game, but we need to think of it as one!
Last edited by gman84 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #75401  by dornb
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:26 pm
Yesterday afternoon, I was in my car with Rock 101 on the radio. The DJ mentioned that the Clemson/Charleston Southern game was on then, but later on, the SC Gamecocks, were hosting the Furman Paladins, Greenville's team, and you could listen on their sister station, The Fan Upstate. I was thrilled to hear someone say on the radio that Furman is Greenville's team! It has been MANY years since I have heard that kind of talk in Greenville. I know Furman has been trying hard to get recognized as Greenville's team, so I believe it is working.

Is it time to bring back the bumper sticker, "A rose between two thorns?" For those of you who are too young, as I remember it, there was a Tiger paw on the left, a Gamecock on the right, and a diamond F in the middle with the saying above the three logos.
AstroDin, apaladin, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #75407  by curiousfan
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:09 pm
I read some of the football commentary and it tickles me….do our DBs get beat …YES….but it’s not only on the DBs…they were asked to cover last night without ZERO pressure…those big plays are not just on the backside of the D! Western Carolina (last year and last night) are the two bad games that like to be brought up…but we never give discuss when they perform well against the Samfords and the Incarnate Words (ironically when they were allowed to walk down, play man and get pressure on the QB)….oh yeah, and it’s a luxury to have DBs that tackle as well as they do too!
FUBeAR, FurmanATT, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #75408  by Louis Tully
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:31 pm
I guess I’m getting old but I couldn’t deal with that sea of humanity every week. I had fun but if I’m going back to Clemson or to Williams Brice I’m going to have to have a hookup with front gate parking/drop off and luxury box seats.

I guess I won’t be going back.
FUBeAR, FurmanATT, dornb liked this
 #75412  by saltyshaker
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:45 pm
last sunday i posted the question that to succeed we needed our front 7 to be able to stuff the run and get pressure on the qb.and be able to defend the long pass.i think we did well enoughon the 1st but not well on the last two.their bigger faster wideouts simply out athleted us.nonetheless we played them tough and let them know we came to compete.
giving up the second touchdown in the last 47 seconds was extremely deflating.i think if we were only down 6 and getting the ball in the second half it might have been different.of course it would not have been a problem had we gotten a fair spot on our 3rd down play before their last td.
time to move on to kennesaw and seize control of our destiny.
 #75413  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:52 pm
My reflection as I look back on the game: We fared better against our FBS game than other conference teams.
dornb, Paladin82, MNORM and 2 others liked this
 #75419  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:51 am

For those of us that know football really well (unlike 90% of the gamecock fan base) it's frustrating to watch these highlights and see how the refs took what was a really good game and gave all the momentum to south carolina to basically turn it into a total sham job..................
AstroDin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.