#75207  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:59 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:29 am
GoFurman honest Score prediction:

I will go with a 40 - 17 win for the bad guys. As the write-up says (and we noted) they threw for well over 340 yards v UNC despite Rattler running for his freakin life. Given a little more time he could easily throw for 450. They ran for crap (though sacks count against that) but they still threw rather well despite enormous pressure. If they throw for 450 on us and run for 125 that's a lot of offense.
I only watched the 1st half of UNC/USC but it seems like SC plays a bit better in QB scramble mode. Maybe not getting after Rattler could work better than pressing him? At least not committing more than the front 3 or 4 and seeing if we can get some TOs.
Shhhh … Coach Vaughn might hear you and go into some kind of anaphylactic episode after watching tape of that Gamecock O-Line.

What you are saying was true about Devlin “Duck” Hodges (which, as good as he was, is why he’s a professional duck caller now instead of an NFL QB) of Samford. Haven’t seen much of Mr. Rattlesnake, but FUBeAR thinks he’d rather have that reptilechicken chunkin’ it amidst flying bullets rather than sitting in his La-Z-Boy waiting for 1 of 5 SEC Receivers to shake slightly (that’s all it takes) free of his coverage.

We’ll see, but FUBeAR expects we’ll see Coach Vaughn release the hounds early on.
 #75208  by Flagman
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:22 pm
It starts on the bus ride to Columbia. If we score early, we take the crowd out of the game. In fact, we'll take to crowd right out of Williams- Brice. Upper decks will clear out and students will leave.
Bank it! The money am on the dresser,
Chuckles, Roundball, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #75209  by Flagman
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:30 pm
The rugby match between Furman and USC scheduled for Friday, September 8th at 7 pm has been canceled.

They're skeered. Two losses to Furman in one weekend would have been a tough pill to swallow.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #75210  by gman84
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:36 am
A few of you can stop freaking out now.

The FU standard unis, helmets and diamond F are not going anywhere! Nothing wrong with a couple of alternate options. I think the purple , grey, silver 50th anniversary look will be more appealing than the black, black, silver combo.
 #75211  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:49 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:59 pm
gofurman wrote:

I will go with a 40 - 17 win for the bad guys. As the write-up says (and we noted) they threw for well over 340 yards v UNC despite Rattler running for his freakin life. Given a little more time he could easily throw for 450. They ran for crap (though sacks count against that) but they still threw rather well despite enormous pressure. If they throw for 450 on us and run for 125 that's a lot of offense.
I only watched the 1st half of UNC/USC but it seems like SC plays a bit better in QB scramble mode. Maybe not getting after Rattler could work better than pressing him? At least not committing more than the front 3 or 4 and seeing if we can get some TOs.

SC didn't really have an option against UNC. Scramble mode was the only mode in which they were allowed to play.

Interestingly, most of the passes from Rattler were to Legette, who is a big target. That game was way beyond anything Legette has previously done, however. In one game, he eclipsed his receiving total for the entire 2022 season.
 #75217  by MNORM
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:12 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 pm
Furman 7
USC 40
Honestly surprised you think we'll score.
 #75219  by Affirm
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 pm
MNORM wrote:
affirm wrote:
Furman 7
USC 40
I hope we'll score more than once. Maybe we can at least get a field goal in addition to my predicted TD and PAT. But I'm not predicting that. I still say 7.
I also think that hopefully, once they're about 25, ahead they will let up somewhat and start focusing on UGA. Maybe we can hold them to about 31 or 34 points. But I still say 40.
Furman 7
USC 40
I would be dreaming if I were to predict Furman 10 - USC 31.
 #75222  by sluggo
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:39 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 pm
MNORM wrote:
affirm wrote:
Furman 7
USC 40
I hope we'll score more than once. Maybe we can at least get a field goal in addition to my predicted TD and PAT. But I'm not predicting that. I still say 7.
I also think that hopefully, once they're about 25, ahead they will let up somewhat and start focusing on UGA. Maybe we can hold them to about 31 or 34 points. But I still say 40.
Furman 7
USC 40
I would be dreaming if I were to predict Furman 10 - USC 31.
But dreaming is way more fun, and sometimes it comes true like 1982.
I don't try to make accurate predictions for this game.
My prediction is 100% based on pride with 0% devoted to any reality.

But part of the reality is that last year was one of the greatest years in FU football history and
I'm smelling future Hall of Fame for a particular individual and this game might just make that clear to everyone.
 #75224  by purplehorse123
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:57 am
This USC team is beatable so why not us tomorrow? If USC is turning the ball over like Clemson did against TCU, anything can happen. I still think the play of Tyler Huff will be one of the biggest factors in the game. If he plays well and we win the TO battle I like our chances.

Furman 24
USC 21
 #75225  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:30 am
SC has announced the game is a sellout and they had 17,200 student ticket requests which is the second highest ever.
dornb liked this
 #75226  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:36 am
I appreciate the sentiment for no injuries - but the notion that FCS schools get a bunch of injuries against FBS is schools is false.

Either way, GO DINS! Shock the state.
EXACTLY!!!’
[/quote]

Paladinfan12 and AP, I agree! I used to think that was true but it isn't - which is weird as you would think your QB would take more hits etc...

I was simply saying I hope for no injuries on our side. That is all
apaladin, Davemeister liked this
 #75227  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 am
gofurman wrote:

Please no injuries. And I am not saying we lose and just cash a check but I don't want anyone hurt. ever.

Mainly, I fear the OL is better vs us than vs UNC (it will be by all guesses).. Rattler gets comfortable and starts dealing. A few ok runs also get the gamecock offense confident.

Would love a few turnover to go our way...

Believe me, I am pulling for the good guys - GoFurman. I recall a certain UNC whipping we laid down of 28-3 with Julius Peppers on the DL !
As I've said many times, total yards can be a misleading stat.

Yes, Rattler threw for 350 yards. He also didn't throw a touchdown pass. He was sacked 9 times. They had -2 yards rushing. The offense scored only two touchdowns.
it CAN be misleading - but here is a proof that Dabo claimed... until Duke last week .. Clemson was "In school history, Clemson was 108-0 when reaching the 200-yard benchmark in both (rushing and passing) categories. The word “was” is the key in that sentence as the Tigers are now 108-1 after falling in Durham to the Duke Blue Devils."

I get that they lost - heck, i am a HUUUUUGGE Duke fan... but I will take 108-1 ANY FRIGGIN DAY OF THE WEEK. There is a serious coorelation. 108 wins and finally a single loss? C'mon. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. Only because Clemson fumbled two or so times on the 1 yard line and missed two FGs one which was a joke. (Side note, I liked that Clemson lost )

But given yards etc. Clemson had won like 13 in a row vs Duke. You have to play the percentages. I think I read when one team outgains the other by 100+ yards they win 80%+ of the time. And by 200 yards it is 95% of the time. I mean isn't the goal to get yards and points on offense and stop yards and points when we are on D?? :D

anyway, no biggie. Go Paladins !