#75178  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:47 pm
FUBeAR has released his Game / Score prediction. Don’t we usually have a score thread up by now?

It won’t be as easy as most Football people expect, but the consensus Favorite in this game rides their SEC quality Defense & holds on to win it in the 4th quarter, as Championship Teams do.

Final Score: Furman 28 - South Carolina 23
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Roundball liked this
 #75180  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:56 pm
Don’t think The Annexation of Puerto Rico or even the Pell Mell play would always be effective against this Gamecock Defensive alignment. We need to keep a close eye out for their deployment of it.

#75185  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Don’t think The Annexation of Puerto Rico or even the Pell Mell play would always be effective against this Gamecock Defensive alignment. We need to keep a close eye out for their deployment of it.

I recall watching this and one other play.. the Gamecocks are susceptible to quick plays catching them out of formation on D. The thing is we probably don't want to go fast as we want as few plays as possible. Kindof a catch-22.
Some players for USC were still not set when UNC hiked the ball. Maybe we could try it once and try to catch them off guard.
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #75186  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:29 am
GoFurman honest Score prediction:

I will go with a 40 - 17 win for the bad guys. As the write-up says (and we noted) they threw for well over 340 yards v UNC despite Rattler running for his freakin life. Given a little more time he could easily throw for 450. They ran for crap (though sacks count against that) but they still threw rather well despite enormous pressure. If they throw for 450 on us and run for 125 that's a lot of offense.

Please no injuries. And I am not saying we lose and just cash a check but I don't want anyone hurt. ever.

Mainly, I fear the OL is better vs us than vs UNC (it will be by all guesses).. Rattler gets comfortable and starts dealing. A few ok runs also get the gamecock offense confident.

Would love a few turnover to go our way...

Believe me, I am pulling for the good guys - GoFurman. I recall a certain UNC whipping we laid down of 28-3 with Julius Peppers on the DL !
 #75190  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 am
gofurman wrote:

I will go with a 40 - 17 win for the bad guys. As the write-up says (and we noted) they threw for well over 340 yards v UNC despite Rattler running for his freakin life. Given a little more time he could easily throw for 450. They ran for crap (though sacks count against that) but they still threw rather well despite enormous pressure. If they throw for 450 on us and run for 125 that's a lot of offense.

Please no injuries. And I am not saying we lose and just cash a check but I don't want anyone hurt. ever.

Mainly, I fear the OL is better vs us than vs UNC (it will be by all guesses).. Rattler gets comfortable and starts dealing. A few ok runs also get the gamecock offense confident.

Believe me, I am pulling for the good guys - GoFurman. I recall a certain UNC whipping we laid down of 28-3 with Julius Peppers on the DL !
As I've said many times, total yards can be a misleading stat.

Yes, Rattler threw for 350 yards. He also didn't throw a touchdown pass. He was sacked 9 times. They had -2 yards rushing. The offense scored only two touchdowns.
 #75191  by paladinfan12
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:21 am
gofurman wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment for no injuries - but the notion that FCS schools get a bunch of injuries against FBS is schools is false.

Either way, GO DINS! Shock the state.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #75192  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:35 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:

I recall watching this and one other play.. the Gamecocks are susceptible to quick plays catching them out of formation on D. The thing is we probably don't want to go fast as we want as few plays as possible. Kindof a catch-22.
Some players for USC were still not set when UNC hiked the ball. Maybe we could try it once and try to catch them off guard.

I imagine USC's problem here is less about the speed with which UNC was moving, and more about personnel and formation.

For one, having 13 men on the field has nothing to do with whatever UNC is doing. It's a goal line situation. USC should have a personnel group to handle that.

UNC has three TEs and an extra offensive linemen on the field. 10 of 11 UNC players are in the photo (I assume there's a running back there somewhere). I feel safe in assuming UNC didn't hide those players running on the field -- USC just seemed ill prepared to matchup with the personnel group.

UNC has basically overloaded the wide side of the field. There are two TEs, the RT flipped to the left, and an extra offensive lineman - giving the Heels 4 offensive linemen left of the center. I assume #78, even though he's an offensive tackle, is an eligible receiver. The third TE is in line next to the RG.

This formation takes some quick sorting out by the defense. USC was out-schemed on this one.
 #75193  by sluggo
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:39 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Final Score: Furman 28 - South Carolina 23[/i]
Cool, but not creative.

I will try Furman 35 - Cluckers 31
 #75194  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:59 am
sluggo wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:39 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Final Score: Furman 28 - South Carolina 23[/i]
not creative
MNORM liked this
 #75197  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:36 am
I appreciate the sentiment for no injuries - but the notion that FCS schools get a bunch of injuries against FBS is schools is false.

Either way, GO DINS! Shock the state.
[/quote]

EXACTLY!!!’
FUBeAR, Davemeister, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #75204  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:59 pm
gofurman wrote:

I only watched the 1st half of UNC/USC but it seems like SC plays a bit better in QB scramble mode. Maybe not getting after Rattler could work better than pressing him? At least not committing more than the front 3 or 4 and seeing if we can get some TOs.