#75152  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:01 am
Back to the game at hand: this may be Captain Obvious but here are my concerns in order of concerns:
1. Their large and talented receivers against our talented but smallish dbs.
2. Our OL vs. their DL. I think we may be missing Johanning and Jumper more than we think. Can we run the ball?
3. Do we have a go to receiver, especially in short yardage situations? I miss RM already.
4. How SC responds to last week.
I agree on some of these.

Again, this is the LEAST IMPORTANT GAME of the year. lose by 50 and we can win a National Title ... that said here is my take

Jackal watches a lot and has said 2 big points are always ability to cover P5 receivers... and handle the DL of the P5 school with our OL.

I do worry some with Johanning out (and losing Jumper).. can we run enough to keep them honest? As for the SoCon this is my main concern. The others are more USC specific..

Xavier Leggette is a problem. He is. Despite UNC owning the LOS and being all over Rattler... he had 9 receptions for 178 yards in the last game. Game changer. Given that we probably can't get to Rattler as much he could get 200+ yards .. just him. This fits with Jackals point on the WRs at these schools.

Despite running for his life.. Rattler went 30-39 for 340+ yards ! I wouldn't have guessed that. Looking at teh OL play that is pretty impressive. Given a little more time - which he should get against us - he could pass for 400 yards. I mean this is a former Oklahoma QB. This will be the best QB we see all year.

But basically can we get some plays in the backfield without letting Rattler escape? (Think Duke v Clemson - Clemson was in the backfield some and the Duke QB just spun out and made some great runs.. MUST TACKLE WELL

can we keep the DL out of the backfiels when we are on offense? SEC teams have a bunch of nasty guys. They do
apaladin liked this
 #75153  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Back to the game at hand: this may be Captain Obvious but here are my concerns in order of concerns:
2. Our OL vs. their DL. I think we may be missing Johanning and Jumper more than we think. Can we run the ball?
3. Do we have a go to receiver, especially in short yardage situations? I miss RM already.
4. How SC responds to last week. How fired up will they be?
Notes: The 2 deep is basically the same for the second game with a couple of tweeks:
RT-Hundley listed as starter with Norman as backup.
WR-Ferguson now listed as starter with Anderson or Hintin as backup.
RB-Same except K Thomas is no longer listed as “or” as backup
2. no
3. no
4. far more than we would hope
 #75161  by gman84
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:16 am
Good things happen when I attend a FU- FBS game. The exceptions being Clemson and Pittsburgh. One thing for sure is I will have fun and plan to carry on likes it's 1982! Probably will have one of those post game "viruses" come Sunday.
 #75162  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:49 am
It's still wait and see, but it wouldn't surprise me if the new clock rules may end up helping the underdog in these type of matchups.

Because the clock isn't stopping on first downs, teams will be potentially able to limit the time the heavyweight can handle the ball. Tennessee Tech attempted to use this to their advantage - they didn't really do much offensively besides dink and dunk the ball, but were able to limit Furman to one possession in the first quarter. It's essentially playing keep away and hoping to keep the game close.
 #75163  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:53 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:40 am
apaladin wrote:
4. How SC responds to last week. How fired up will they be?
Notes: The 2 deep is basically the same for the second game with a couple of tweeks:
RT-Hundley listed as starter with Norman as backup.
WR-Ferguson now listed as starter with Anderson or Hintin as backup.
RB-Same except K Thomas is no longer listed as “or” as backup
2. no
3. no
4. far more than we would hope

I think the better question might be whether South Carolina can run the ball on Furman.

The Gamecocks had -2 yards rushing against North Carolina (a lot of that was due to sacks, of course). Even then, their leading rusher had 22 yards for 1.9 ypc.
 #75164  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:50 am
FUBeAR noted earlier that the ShameCocks were down in their depth chart at OT.

Check out theTweet/X below and the thread that follows this Tweet/X.

The OT, playing LT (#79), that gets destroyed on a Bullrush (1st clip) and then just falls down on a b/s cutoff block (2nd clip), is a walk-on transfer from Charlotte (terrible FBS-INO Team).

The OT (#77), who gets shucked play-side, like an ear of corn, on the 2nd clip, is a Transfer from WIU - a terrible (0-11 in 2022) FCS Team.

The OT (#62), who gets run by, like he’s a traffic cone, on the 3rd clip has been there a while and was All-SEC Freshman Team 2 years ago, but doesn’t seem to have solidified a Starting role since then…competing with Walk-On Transfers from really bad FCS and FBS-INO programs.

The chickens will need miraculous improvement this week at the OT position or the Paladins coming off the edge need to FEAST!

NOTE: “Hey, wait a minute, FUBeAR, you’re ‘calling out’ individual Players here. We thought you didn’t do that.” FUBeAR does not call out individual amateur college players. That remains true. https://garnettrust.com/

If Stumpy’s mad @ FUBeAR about it, he’ll have to let FUBeAR know.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
 #75166  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:49 am
It's still wait and see, but it wouldn't surprise me if the new clock rules may end up helping the underdog in these type of matchups.

Because the clock isn't stopping on first downs, teams will be potentially able to limit the time the heavyweight can handle the ball. Tennessee Tech attempted to use this to their advantage - they didn't really do much offensively besides dink and dunk the ball, but were able to limit Furman to one possession in the first quarter. It's essentially playing keep away and hoping to keep the game close.
You may be right Jackal but I remember last year at least with SoCon refs the clock barely stopped on first downs as the ref was winding the clock before they could even get the ball placed, plus with all the hurry up stuff I think that rule will have minimal effect and it still stops in the last 2 mins of each half.
 #75167  by purplehorse123
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:35 pm
Last year our performance against Clemson was one of our best in a long time against a FCS opponent. We outgained Clemson in yardage. Tyler Huff played great.

For us to even compete, he has to bring his A game as does the offense.

Also need some turnovers for sure.
 #75168  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:38 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Last year our performance against Clemson was one of our best in a long time against a FCS opponent. We outgained Clemson in yardage. Tyler Huff played great.

I mean, while anything can happen, I feel pretty safe in saying Furman is going to be "competitive" Saturday. We may not win, but I'm fairly confident that South Carolina is going to know they played a tough football game on Saturday.

I was surprised to see that the Gamecocks, at most positions, are not particularly any bigger than Furman's counterparts. They came into the season returning only 10 starters, two of which are the kicker and punter.
apaladin liked this
 #75169  by Flagman
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:38 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:

I mean, while anything can happen, I feel pretty safe in saying Furman is going to be "competitive" Saturday. We may not win, but I'm fairly confident that South Carolina is going to know they played a tough football game on Saturday.

I was surprised to see that the Gamecocks, at most positions, are not particularly any bigger than Furman's counterparts. They came into the season returning only 10 starters, two of which are the kicker and punter.

Hoping the punter gets a lot of playing time.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #75170  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:06 pm
Y’know…FUBeAR just listened to this again…and @ 5:40 Coach Hendrix says, “I wish we were playing that [South Carolina’s 1982] Team.”

FUBeAR takes BIG Offense to that comment. It really stings.

FUBeAR is gonna work some voodoo magic and conjure up 1982 6-0/210 (generously) Freshman OG Clay Hendrix and put him in some Oklahoma drills with the Gamecock Interior DL we faced that day…

* 1982 6-3/265 Andrew Provence (NFL Falcons (3rd round) & Broncos / NFL All-Rookie 1983 / 1st Team All-American / Senior Bowl / USC Hall of Fame / SEC Legends Class of 2010)
* 1982 6-2/295 Rickey Hagood (NFL Seahawks (4th round) & Chargers / as described in listing of South Carolina’s Best Defensive Tackles of All-Time… “A menace over center, Rickey Hagood was a nose tackle who is sometimes forgotten because he played next to Andrew Provence. Hagood was a stud in his own right, totaling 98 and 114 tackles in his final two seasons as a Gamecock. He was named team MVP his senior year…”)
* 1982 6-3/285 Frank Wright (NFL Giants (9th round) & Colts / East-West Shrine Game)

Those 3 conjured up 1982 Gamecocks would mash that 1982 Paladin Freshman OG like a bug on a windshield!

…”wish we were playing against that Team”…FUBeAR’s grandma would say she would wanna jerk a knot in him for saying something like that.

FUBeAR might decide not to dress out after all on Saturday night…afraid he might have to have words with the Head Coach over that comment and doesn’t wanna mess up the mojo…
 #75174  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:59 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:53 pm
“South Carolina football vs Furman: Score prediction, scouting report for Gamecocks' home opener.” https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 759996007/

Besides getting some basic facts wrong (we returned two interceptions for a TD last week, not one), not a bad writeup.
Thought the same thing, Jackal … and started to call it out … BUT … she is PRECISELY correct.

The SECONDARY only returned 1 INT for a TD

AND

We did only FORCE 1 Fumble.

TBH, I think she was just parroting what Beamer said at his press conference…but got it correct … precisely…and, perhaps, luckily.

…but, upon further review, the SECONDARY only had 2 INT’s (DL had 1 & LB’s had the other) … so, yeah - she just Parroted Beamer’s error

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.