• Game Day Experience

#75109  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:50 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:01 pm
Looks like the band is going the way of the dinosaurs, slowly disappearing.
Sad to hear about the band, I loved my time in the Paladin Regiment.

During my time there ('08-'12) the band was primarily music majors (50-60%). There were a few other students on music scholarships (10-15%), and then several students who were not majors but enjoyed marching band (30-35%). As tuition has continued to increase, the ROI for a degree at Furman to become a music teacher has become a bad investment. Unless Furman decides to heavily subsidize students who want to be music teachers and performers I don't see much of an opportunity for the band to come back.

Sad, indeed!
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #75112  by 'Din Djarin
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:12 pm
Furman's Alma Mater is pretty forgettable. I mean I remember most of the words but my brain is weird like that. It's not one of the better ones out there, and that's always bothered me especially given how highly-regarded Furman's music program is.
Stumpy liked this
 #75117  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:31 pm
It used to be every music major was required to be in the band. I'm not sure if that is still the case.
 #75119  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:40 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:12 pm
Furman's Alma Mater is pretty forgettable. I mean I remember most of the words but my brain is weird like that. It's not one of the better ones out there, and that's always bothered me especially given how highly-regarded Furman's music program is.
This is my 50th reunion year. I proudly sing the alma Mater at every opportunity, and the version that I learned as a freshman, not the revised version.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #75122  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:46 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:50 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:01 pm
Looks like the band is going the way of the dinosaurs, slowly disappearing.
Sad to hear about the band, I loved my time in the Paladin Regiment.

During my time there ('08-'12) the band was primarily music majors (50-60%). There were a few other students on music scholarships (10-15%), and then several students who were not majors but enjoyed marching band (30-35%). As tuition has continued to increase, the ROI for a degree at Furman to become a music teacher has become a bad investment. Unless Furman decides to heavily subsidize students who want to be music teachers and performers I don't see much of an opportunity for the band to come back.

Sad, indeed!
IIRC we only had one sousaphone player in the marching band last year. There were four in the regiment for the T-Tech game. Hopefully things aren't dwindling down quite as badly as it seems...albeit that's just one specific instrument.
 #75143  by curiousfan
 Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:46 pm
The traditional unis are nice, unfortunately, these alternate unis attract many of today's recruits....and yeah the academics, the campus, etc are enticing....BUT PLAYERS LOVE THE "DRIP"! Gotta change with the times "old-timers"! :D
Kennypowers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:24 pm
We have Iconic FCS (1AA) unis--especially all white--yet people want to go with a helmet that makes us look like western KY and uniforms that look like they were found in a sales bin at Sam Wyche sporting goods because they didn't work for Pickens high or Willie Wonka. Fine to do an alternate for one game to make the players happy but just stick with the basics. Let's not be like Berea or some other wannabe high school team.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.