Furman @ USC
Samford @ WCU
Campbell @ The Citadel
Carson Newman @ ETSU
KSU @ UTC
VMI @ Bucknell
Wofford @ W&M
Morehead State @ Mercer

Samford/WCU is a big one. Not an easy draw for the Bulldogs to head to Cullowhee in Week 2. That game is usually a lot of up and back.
 #75059  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:16 pm
Would be nice to see the SoCon pick up a few OOC wins this week.

I love that a SoCon team is getting a crack at William & Mary, which will likely be a team in the hunt for a post-season seed alongside Furman. I would have preferred that the team be someone other than Wofford, who has looked pretty abysmal against good teams the last two years.

Bucknell is another winnable game for VMI.

I would love to see the Citadel get a win against a CAA school in their contest against Campbell. They are playing in Charleston, but the Camels have given a few SoCon teams fits over the years.

ETSU has a D2 program from a traditionally strong conference at that level. The Bucs can't afford to lose this one. If they do, I expect George Quarles will officially be on the hot seat.

I have no idea what to make of UTC's first game. Looked good for a bit. Mostly looked terrible. Furman fans will have a vested interest in this one with the Mocs and Owls still on the slate for us this season.

Mercer should easily handle Morehead State.

I'm of two minds on Samford/WCU. On one hand, it'd be nice to see our closest competition saddled with an early SoCon loss. On the other hand, it won't look great for one of our conference front runners to lose a conference game that early in the season (especially with the rest of the conference looking iffy to this point).
 #75063  by Davemeister
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:25 pm
You won't hear me say this often: "Go Catamounts!"
 #75064  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:09 pm
FUBeAR is a LIFETIME (for this week only) FAN of The Citadel and Wofford Football!

GO CANINES!!
 #75066  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:23 pm
Will definitely be interested in that Samford/WCU game. Samford should be very good like last year but hard to judge too much from a game against Shorter. WCU is looking to take that next step forward, but again, hard to know much about them after a non-competitive FBS game. They both run a very similar style offense which will be interesting. I think WCU is looking to play with a little more pace than Samford but will still throw it all over the place. Will either defense take a step forward? Samford's went from bad to average last year and made a big difference for them. Weird things happen in Cullowhee when you're the favored road team, so Samford should be on high alert. I imagine it will be (or at least should be) a lively crowd. Big game for those two in week two!

Will be keeping an eye on KSU and UTC as well.

I don't have high hopes for El Cid or Wofford, but perception of the SoCon would certainly improve if two of our lower tier schools found a way to win those games.

They're still not very good but would be nice to see VMI go to 2-0. I mean Davidson was a playoff team last year so that's something!

Still not going to learn much new about Mercer or ETSU this week.
 #75081  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if the SoCon goes 0’fer in ooc games this week.
 #75085  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if the SoCon goes 0’fer in ooc games this week.
Would your lack of surprise at such include a willingness to make a wager on the Morehead @ Mercer game then?

If not, then it seems that you would actually be surprised if the SoCon goes 0'fer in ooc games this week, despite your post to the contrary.
Purple rain liked this
 #75148  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:47 am
Forgot about Mercer playing a cupcake in playing a non-scolly team so I graciously rescind my statement and alter it to say 0’fer against any team that gives schollies! :lol:
Purple rain liked this
 #75159  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:04 am
apaladin wrote:
Forgot about Mercer playing a cupcake in playing a non-scolly team so I graciously rescind my statement and alter it to say 0’fer against any team that gives schollies! :lol:
...FUBeAR, sadly and sneeringly, places VENMO PayTo Info back in the holster and cancels flight to Tahiti
apaladin liked this
 #75160  by gman84
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:04 am
apaladin wrote:
...FUBeAR, sadly and sneeringly, places VENMO PayTo Info back in the holster and cancels flight to Tahiti
AP, when are you going to learn that you don't poke the BeAR directly or indirectly. ;)
apaladin liked this
 #75271  by tim
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:35 pm
WCU up by 7 in 2nd.Weather delay. Hiers went down, got his bell rung. Possible concussion
 #75272  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm
VMI down early 7-0
Campbell destroying Citadel 21-0 still 5 mins left 1st qtr
 #75273  by tya1
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:44 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:35 pm
WCU up by 7 in 2nd.Weather delay. Hiers went down, got his bell rung. Possible concussion
Western Carolina got the ball first and quickly moved it towards the end zone. Running the ball for good gains the first few plays. Then they completed some short passes. But Samford stopped them on three runs inside the five to take the ball away. Samford quickly got going with big plays through the air to take it all the way for the 7-0 lead. WCU came back with another quick drive to tie the game. Samford was stopped on their second possession. WCU again ripped downfield and scored again for a 14-7 lead. Samford QB took a hard hit and fumbled. Game now in a weather delay with 11:38 left in the 2nd quarter. WCU is running effectively with quick bursts between the tackles and quick strikes to the outside passing the ball.
 #75274  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm
VMI down early 7-0
Campbell destroying Citadel 21-0 still 5 mins left 1st qtr

The Citadel has a long way to go under their new coach.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.