#74972  by 'Din Djarin
 Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 pm
Posting this as a Furman fan first (class of '08) but also a Gamecock fan because of family connections.

This is a fundamentally flawed South Carolina team. This is probably the worst offensive line I've ever seen from South Carolina, and the defensive line isn't terribly impressive either. Whether they know it or not, Furman is potential a nightmare FCS matchup for this South Carolina team (at least the one that showed up in Charlotte.). Furman's depth and strength on both sides of the line and their ability to run the ball effectively give them a great opportunity next week to do something crazy in Columbia. I'm not predicting a win, but I think Furman has the ability to scare the heck out of a lot of Gamecock fans (and players) next weekend.
apaladin, Roundball, AstroDin and 4 others liked this
 #74975  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:55 am
Let’s get a few things fixed and play a clean game. Is it possible we held a few schemes out of the game film against TTU?

It sounded like Toomey could have come back in. No word yet on Fred. Lots of good film to correct with.
 #74976  by stonemd
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:15 am
Looked like a defender rolled into lateral aspect of Fred’s left knee while he was standing. He walked off the field. Hopefully a mild strain and no ligament damage. I’m optimistic.
 #74980  by Sad Din
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:20 am
if SD were Coach Beamer, SD would make this week all about Gamecocks and not so much about playing Dins. They need to improve. Back to basics kinda deal

This could be very good for Dins. Like Tyson said "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
FUBeAR liked this
 #74984  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:55 pm
If there’s something both teams have in common it’s coming back to earth after successful end of last season. The only thing that looked good for Carolina was the passing game. Furman was less than stellar offensively, but looked amazing on defense. We’ll see who can improve more this week.
 #74986  by saltyshaker
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:53 pm
question is do we have a good enough defense front seven to stuff the run and get pressure on the qb likje unc did.we mus t also defend the long pass as well.it looked like usc best receiver may have been hobbling some at the end of the game.possible only cramps.
i think our offense will be better this week .i think we will score on usc.i expect the game will be close in the high 20's or low 30's.let's get focused and win or lose let them know we show up for fbs games.
dornb liked this
 #74992  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:39 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:05 pm
Why can't we use some of these highlights on the Clay Hendrix Show and get the coach's comments?
dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #75016  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:45 am
Reading the press this morning, it looks like USC had a lot of guys go down to injury in week one - especially in some areas they were already thin.
 #75017  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:01 am
Well you would think they will be in a get healthy this week mindset and just try to out athlete us.
 #75021  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:44 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Well you would think they will be in a get healthy this week mindset and just try to out athlete us.

I would think that anyone "questionable" will be held out with UGA next week.
apaladin liked this
 #75023  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:44 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
I would think that anyone "questionable" will be held out with UGA next week.
Dunno - Richard Bell got fired as the Gamecock’s Head Coach for losing to Furman.

Sure, UGa is an SEC Conference & East Division game, but nobody expects South Carolina to go into Athens and win that game. Remember last year when people thought Tennessee had a shot to do that and Georgia’s D AND home crowd took the Vols out of the game in the 1st Quarter.

If the Chickens somehow ‘slip up’ vs. Furman, they can count on starting 0-3….and MissState looked dang good on Sat, as did Tennessee … so, now we’re thinking 0-5 and Beamer might not make it past the mid-point - the JaxSt / Vandy part of the season.

Furman is actually a MUST WIN GAME for South Carolina because of the fairly ugly loss to UNC and the rest of their schedule.

So - IFBO - “questionable” Players will play on Sat. until (and if) they are VERY comfortable that the victory is in hand. We just need to make sure those “questionable” Players play all 4 quarters.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #75024  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:26 am
According to the reports, Beamer listed 5 or 6 guys that didn't finish Saturday's game, a few of which are questionable or out for the Furman contest. They were already thin on the depth chart at certain positions going into that game.

It's long been my observation in the FCS/P5 contests that the size/talent disparity shows up in two primary spots: (1) pass catchers, and (2) defensive line.

Watching USC, they have #17 (Legette), who at 6'3 227 is probably going to be a matchup problem. The QB, Rattler, is obviously a talented/athletic QB. Beyond those guys, I didn't see anyone that Furman hasn't played before.

The key in these games is whether we can put their defense on their heels. We'll have a few extra days than they will to heal up. Hopefully we'll have most of the squad ready to go.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.