• SOCON SCORES TODAY

#74997  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:30 pm
It's week 1 and most of the schools were playing FBS teams. Not sure why you'd take much of anything away from that.
Jackal. I do agree to an extent. I do.

But …when we did good things v last year Clemson people take things away from that. Do good feel proud. But do bad it means nothing? That’s a little double standard. And we did well v Clemson Last year and we had a good year. There is something Not everything. But some
 #75007  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:24 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:30 pm
It's week 1 and most of the schools were playing FBS teams. Not sure why you'd take much of anything away from that.
Jackal. I do agree to an extent. I do.

But …when we did good things v last year Clemson people take things away from that. Do good feel proud. But do bad it means nothing? That’s a little double standard. And we did well v Clemson Last year and we had a good year. There is something Not everything. But some

I'm not reading too much into the ups and downs of the season.

Mercer wasn't expected to be particularly competitive with Ole Miss. They weren't. Does it matter what the score was? To me, not really.
 #75010  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:38 pm
Jackal, lets be honest it would be hard to find a more disastrous weekend for the SoCon. Not being competitive in any of the FBS ganes, one of which is in the process of moving up, losing to another FCS team by 2 touchdowns and the only win came in the last second against a non-scholarship team. It was bad, really bad anyway you look at it.
din23 liked this
 #75012  by Paul C
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Jackal, lets be honest it would be hard to find a more disastrous weekend for the SoCon. Not being competitive in any of the FBS ganes, one of which is in the process of moving up, losing to another FCS team by 2 touchdowns and the only win came in the last second against a non-scholarship team. It was bad, really bad anyway you look at it.
Only win?
 #75013  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:35 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Only win?
Hey Paul. Check your messages please. Thanks!
 #75014  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:19 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:56 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:28 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:22 am
Of note. Una ran on UTC for 7 per carry. Wow. Bodes well.

I hope the SoCon isn’t great and we roll. Mercer may be strong, I know Mississippi killed up em but they beat a decent UNA team it appears.
It may be more likely that Mercer is bad, UNA worse and UTC dreadful. The Ole Miss game was silly.
You are correct that they Ole Miss game was silly.
Glad to see OBJECTIVITY!!!! Lose by 70. Don’t say anything
Have no idea what this comment is supposed to mean, but know that FUBeAR will “say” whatever he wants to “say” about anything/anyone (except individual non-Professional Players - ie, D1-FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, HS Players) until Stumpy, again, suspends/bans him.

So - the silliness comment about the Mercer @ Ole Miss game was mostly referencing Mercer’s Secondary. The Bears lost 1 CB from last year and replaced him with a veteran Player and a highly touted D2 Transfer. Several of the others are All-SoCon-level (or level-ish) Players.

They looked OK, but maybe a step slow(er) against UNA. Against Ole Miss, their coverage was fair to bad, but their tackling was SILLY bad. It looked like those bad movies, or TV Commercials, or heart-warming special-needs kids videos where the Defense is just ridiculously inept and/or falling over themselves to let the other Team/Person score. Every Rebel pass reception looked worse than any of these…

Just SILLY!

And the WR doing most of this damage was a G5 Transfer from LaTech. Yes… All-ConfUSA…but still…

Anyway - the Bears looked OK upfront on both sides of the ball and some things clicked a bit better on Offense than in week1. Punting has been an adventure since 2013…and continues in that tradition.

They will beat Morehead and could be competitive in the SoCon IF … and only IF … they can fix whatever has their secondary running around out there armless & wearing cement cleats. IF NOT, 4-4 in the SoCon is the best the Bears can manage.

Maybe they can still pick up #25 from the Transfer Portal…
 #75029  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:01 pm
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Only win?
Yes VMI was the only win this weekend. Thursday is not a part of the weekend.
 #75030  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:30 pm
With very few exceptions, the Power 5 teams crushed every FCS/G5 opponent they played since the start of the season.

But, I'm sure it's just the SoCon.
 #75031  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I hope the SoCon isn’t great and we roll. Mercer may be strong, I know Mississippi killed up em but they beat a decent UNA team it appears.
It may be more likely that Mercer is bad, UNA worse and UTC dreadful. The Ole Miss game was silly.
Have no idea what this comment is supposed to mean, but know that FUBeAR will “say” whatever he wants to “say” about anything/anyone (except individual non-Professional Players - ie, D1-FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, HS Players) until Stumpy, again, suspends/bans him.

So - the silliness comment about the Mercer @ Ole Miss game was mostly referencing Mercer’s Secondary. The Bears lost 1 CB from last year and replaced him with a veteran Player and a highly touted D2 Transfer. Several of the others are All-SoCon-level (or level-ish) Players.

They looked OK, but maybe a step slow(er) against UNA. Against Ole Miss, their coverage was fair to bad, but their tackling was SILLY bad. It looked like those bad movies, or TV Commercials, or heart-warming special-needs kids videos where the Defense is just ridiculously inept and/or falling over themselves to let the other Team/Person score. Every Rebel pass reception looked worse than any of these…

Just SILLY!

And the WR doing most of this damage was a G5 Transfer from LaTech. Yes… All-ConfUSA…but still…

Anyway - the Bears looked OK upfront on both sides of the ball and some things clicked a bit better on Offense than in week1. Punting has been an adventure since 2013…and continues in that tradition.

They will beat Morehead and could be competitive in the SoCon IF … and only IF … they can fix whatever has their secondary running around out there armless & wearing cement cleats. IF NOT, 4-4 in the SoCon is the best the Bears can manage.

Wow, Suspended by Stumpy. That says something. That means you are crossing lines. I don’t think I’ve ever been suspended from any board. Maybe I’ve forgotten …I’m old. Lol

No worries. Seriously, Hope Mercer beats their last OOC team. I really do. Hope Mercer wins ‘em all except at Furman
 #75035  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Just SILLY!

Wow, Suspended by Stumpy. That says something. That means you are crossing lines. I don’t think I’ve ever been suspended from any board. Maybe I’ve forgotten …I’m old. Lol

No worries. Seriously, Hope Mercer beats their last OOC team. I really do. Hope Mercer wins ‘em all except at Furman
Stumpy runs a tight ship here. He once suspended FUBeAR until FUBeAR made a donation (of an undisclosed amount) to Stumpy’s Banjo 🪕 Scholarship to deserving Furman Coeds. That was the second suspension…maybe 3rd.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.