• Tennessee Tech - August 31

#74856  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:22 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm
FUBeAR sees it like this…

Furman D, seeking to win the SoCon AND earn a Top 2 Playoff Seed, takes this opportunity to shut down an All Big Sky / All-American RB that portaled hisself to Cookeville. Golden Eagles have a huge question mark at QB. Furman rolls.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 42 - TTU 6
42-6. doubt it . We are a 27 pt favorite. I don’t see it.
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm
FUBeAR sees it like this…

Furman D, seeking to win the SoCon AND earn a Top 2 Playoff Seed, takes this opportunity to shut down an All Big Sky / All-American RB that portaled hisself to Cookeville. Golden Eagles have a huge question mark at QB. Furman rolls.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 42 - TTU 6
42-6 = 36
45-10 = 35
36-35 = 1

Dangit - Sorry guys/gals, FUBeAR steered everyone wrong.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #74857  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:22 pm
TTU didn’t have a snap in our red zone all night. That’s amazing. And we kept the dink and dunk stuff in front of us. Like the D.

OL will get sorted. Not too worried.

Need Huff to find a guy like Miller was that he can rely on.

Very vanilla tonite that’s ok.
FUBeAR, din23, FUwolfpacker and 3 others liked this
 #74858  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:19 pm
furmandad wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:13 pm
Seems our D took advantage of TTU offensive mistakes. Gotta love our guys making the big plays. I’m a little concerned with some passing success their QB had who’s playing in his 1st college game.

yes and no. Yes, there were turnovers, but those turnovers were forced. Hard to throw accurately running for your life.

He attempted 38 passes for just over 200 yards and 3 picks.

TTU's former MONTANA ALL-BIG SKY all american RB transfer had 19 yards rushing.
FYP - It’s important to note that ALL BIG SKY is anything but “All That” when facing a SoCon Team.
 #74859  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:59 pm
A few thoughts before going to sleep.

Let's just be honest, the offense wasn't what we all expected. That's frustrating, but there is a lot of season left and I feel fairly confident the offense will get better (assuming all the guys who got hurt tonight don't have long term injuries). I still think TTU had a good plan on D and contributed to some of the struggle. I'm pretty sure a lot of us probably felt similarly about the offense after the CSU game last year. Yes, different reasons but just pointing out that the offense didn't always look great last year either. It got better as the year progressed. Hoping that's the case this year as well.

Now, on to the obvious stuff. The defense was maybe the nastiest I've seen in over a decade. They weren't just tackling guys, they were punishing them every time they hit them. That was one of those incredibly frustrating offenses but I thought the defense handled it fine. Yeah, they got some yards but never felt like they ever really were going to threaten the end zone. The one TD they did have came on an absolutely amazing catch over double coverage (after Blackshear dropped what should have been another INT). Kuzemka did get picked on a little that drive, but for the most part TTU didn't have much and they knew it. They did their best to counter that with that game plan but like Clay said post game, you can't do that forever. Especially against what looks to be a good defense. 6 turnovers is something special. A couple of them were really good efforts by defensive players. TTU really only flat out gifted us one.

Hinton looks like he could be really good. It's obvious why he's earned PT as a true freshman. Losing Anderson hurts but I thought Ferguson and Hinton filled in admirably in that role.

TTU wasn't really giving it to us, but Huff's two long throws to Dean and Ferguson were really nice.

Hope Norman and Toomey are fine. Can't really afford to lose either of them for any period of time with Johanning out as well. Looked like Thomas may have had cramps. Anderson potentially on crutches? Hope it's mostly precautionary. Losing him feels like losing two players given what he can do in the return game.

I'm not sure anyone is going to talk about him, but I thought Ryan Leavy looked really good punting the ball. If he can punt it like that the rest of the year, that's going to be a real weapon is some tight games. Punt tackling was also really really good tonight. Not flashy but still important.

Overall, if you told me our offense was going to look out of synch all night and we would still win 45-10, I would have taken it.
apaladin, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #74867  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:07 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:34 pm
FU3 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:22 pm
Norman had cramps. O looked out of sync D is going to be very good. Pessimists are in almost post season form! On to Columbia.
Hmm. We NEED Toomey and Johanning. NEED
GF-CCH said in the postgame presser Toomey is fine and could have went back in the game. Great news!
gofurman, AstroDin liked this
 #74868  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:30 am
apaladin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Norman had cramps. O looked out of sync D is going to be very good. Pessimists are in almost post season form! On to Columbia.
GF-CCH said in the postgame presser Toomey is fine and could have went back in the game. Great news!
That is GREAT news !! GREAT.

Thank you. I couldn’t listen to raidio show

Is Hughes ok? Didn’t see him late in game
 #74869  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:36 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:59 pm
A few thoughts before going to sleep.

Let's just be honest, the offense wasn't what we all expected. That's frustrating, but there is a lot of season left and I feel fairly confident the offense will get better (assuming all the guys who got hurt tonight don't have long term injuries). I still think TTU had a good plan on D and contributed to some of the struggle. I'm pretty sure a lot of us probably felt similarly about the offense after the CSU game last year. Yes, different reasons but just pointing out that the offense didn't always look great last year either. It got better as the year progressed. Hoping that's the case this year as well.

Now, on to the obvious stuff. The defense was maybe the nastiest I've seen in over a decade. They weren't just tackling guys, they were punishing them every time they hit them. That was one of those incredibly frustrating offenses but I thought the defense handled it fine. Yeah, they got some yards but never felt like they ever really were going to threaten the end zone. The one TD they did have came on an absolutely amazing catch over double coverage (after Blackshear dropped what should have been another INT). Kuzemka did get picked on a little that drive, but for the most part TTU didn't have much and they knew it. They did their best to counter that with that game plan but like Clay said post game, you can't do that forever. Especially against what looks to be a good defense. 6 turnovers is something special. A couple of them were really good efforts by defensive players. TTU really only flat out gifted us one.

Hinton looks like he could be really good. It's obvious why he's earned PT as a true freshman. Losing Anderson hurts but I thought Ferguson and Hinton filled in admirably in that role.

TTU wasn't really giving it to us, but Huff's two long throws to Dean and Ferguson were really nice.

Hope Norman and Toomey are fine. Can't really afford to lose either of them for any period of time with Johanning out as well. Looked like Thomas may have had cramps. Anderson potentially on crutches? Hope it's mostly precautionary. Losing him feels like losing two players given what he can do in the return game.

I'm not sure anyone is going to talk about him, but I thought Ryan Leavy looked really good punting the ball. If he can punt it like that the rest of the year, that's going to be a real weapon is some tight games. Punt tackling was also really really good tonight. Not flashy but still important.

Overall, if you told me our offense was going to look out of synch all night and we would still win 45-10, I would have taken it.
Agree with all above Good point on punts and punt coverage ! That was awesome.

Yep. A little frustrated with OL. My stated concern preseason. Great skill play by the WRs etc. Just want to see more hat on hat nasty between the tackles. D was phenomenal
 #74871  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:53 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:30 am
apaladin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FU3 wrote:
That is GREAT news !! GREAT.

Thank you. I couldn’t listen to raidio show

Is Hughes ok? Didn’t see him late in game
Think so, lots of subs in late. FYI the postgame presser is available youtube.
 #74874  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:06 am
I'm not concerned.

384 yards is on par with what we would do week to week last season. Hendrix noted we had a few linemen playing some of their first meaningful snaps of their careers and they'd have some things to clean up, but didn't seem worried.

Played a lot of guys on both sides of the ball, which is good for depth development.

On to USC.
AstroDin liked this
 #74879  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:49 am
A look into the future as freshman Jayquan Smith barrels into the endzone behind sophomore Myion Hicks.

TTU had two defenders plugging the hole. Hicks blew up one. Smith blew up the other.

I was a huge fan of Smith's film when Furman signed him a couple of years ago. Good to see him starting to work into the rotation.
hypercycloid, MNORM, dornb liked this
 #74880  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:09 am
Love that thud. TTU makes contact with him at the 5 and then Smith returns the favor taking a few guys into the end zone from the 3ish. Sounded a little like a Felton TD!

I think Smith is going to be really good. His HS film definitely popped and the coaches have had nothing but great things to say about him. It’s a crowded RB room, so he may still be a year away from any significant snaps. Expecting big things from him.
 #74881  by 'Din Djarin
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:14 am
Just sharing a few random thoughts I had about the game:

- Biggest concern overall is probably quarterback play. This definitely wasn't Huff's best game, although he did hit a few dimes here and there. Also, it seemed like the game plan was not to open up the downfield passing game too much. He did stretch a couple of scrambles into first down runs on third down, as well. Huff will be fine.
- OL would be biggest concern but I know about the injuries to guys like Johanning and how they had to slide some guys around. The OL played much better later into the game, so I liked seeing that.
- 6 turnovers and two pick-sixes. That defense looked awesome.
- We have a really good punter & punt coverage team. Leavy averaged 51.3 yards on 4 punts, and punted TTU inside their own 20 twice. Our coverage team was solid too, really gave the returner no quarter. That might seem like a little thing, but it's the sort of strength that great teams have that puts them over the edge of just being a good team.
- Roberto looks awesome. I would also like to see some of our younger RBs get their hands on the ball; lots of speed.

Lots to work on for the team, but nice to think that and still get an FCS win that beat the spread (Furman -33). Good teams win, great teams cover. Go Dins, let's shock the Cocks.
FUBeAR, FUBeAR, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #74882  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:14 am
Just sharing a few random thoughts I had about the game:

- Biggest concern overall is probably quarterback play. This definitely wasn't Huff's best game, although he did hit a few dimes here and there. Also, it seemed like the game plan was not to open up the downfield passing game too much. He did stretch a couple of scrambles into first down runs on third down, as well. Huff will be fine.
- OL would be biggest concern but I know about the injuries to guys like Johanning and how they had to slide some guys around. The OL played much better later into the game, so I liked seeing that.
- 6 turnovers and two pick-sixes. That defense looked awesome.
- We have a really good punter & punt coverage team. Leavy averaged 51.3 yards on 4 punts, and punted TTU inside their own 20 twice. Our coverage team was solid too, really gave the returner no quarter. That might seem like a little thing, but it's the sort of strength that great teams have that puts them over the edge of just being a good team.
- Roberto looks awesome. I would also like to see some of our younger RBs get their hands on the ball; lots of speed.

Lots to work on for the team, but nice to think that and still get an FCS win that beat the spread (Furman -33). Good teams win, great teams cover. Go Dins, let's shock the Cocks.
Not sure how FUBeAR gave you 3 "Likes" on 1 post. It's good...but not THAT good. :D
Roundball liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.