#73851  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:01 am
Furman can beat USC on the road and we'd still be ranked by North Dakota State after their home win against Homer Milquetoast and Directional Illinois.
 #73854  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:43 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:28 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:58 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:35 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:02 pm
Cock shock ‘23!
Yes! Furman 31 Gamecocks 27 and we collect $500,000.
USC could spare a lot more than $500,000.
Some of the Power 5 FBS schools are quite stingy. And some are relatively generous.
Interesting to see how much variation there is among Power 5 schools in regard to the amount they pay for FCS opponents.
Is that how that works?

FBS schools decide how generous they want to be and give the FCS school an amount of money determined by their level of generosity?
So why don’t you explain all the variations to us. You are asking questions about things that I’m sure you know a lot more about than your questions seem to imply. Why, really?
FUBeAR, as a Bear of very little brain, knows very little.

FUBeAR read your seemingly very knowledgeable post about the good, charitable work of some of these FBS Athletics Departments and the hardened hearts of some others…and was just seeking clarification/confirmation.

So…IS that how it works?
 #73874  by Affirm
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Cock shock ‘23!
Some of the Power 5 FBS schools are quite stingy. And some are relatively generous.
Interesting to see how much variation there is among Power 5 schools in regard to the amount they pay for FCS opponents.
Is that how that works?

FBS schools decide how generous they want to be and give the FCS school an amount of money determined by their level of generosity?
So why don’t you explain all the variations to us. You are asking questions about things that I’m sure you know a lot more about than your questions seem to imply. Why, really?

FUBeAR read your seemingly very knowledgeable post about the good, charitable work of some of these FBS Athletics Departments and the hardened hearts of some others…and was just seeking clarification/confirmation.

So…IS that how it works?
My post was based on SEVERAL other payouts for games in the list that I saw. Yes, I do think ND is charitable in this case, and I praise them for that. Of course, if they don’t continue scheduling some FCS teams in the future, I will reconsider. But some of the others that I noticed were Youngstown State, Sacramento State, Murray State, UTC, some others, getting relatively large amounts for going to play at big schools similarly close to them as we are to USC. By the way, I call UGA ungenerous for what they’re paying UT-Martin. The other end of the spectrum is the relative pittance Maine is getting from some school in far-south Florida (FIU?). I realize some, maybe most, of the discrepancies have to do with how long ago the contracts were agreed to. Many have to do with the athletics budget of the FBS school. Many or most do reflect the travel distance. Still, I believe that SEC schools are as rich as anybody, are getting only richer, and they can afford to be generous. And yes, I was trying to pick a little bit at USC, maybe unfairly. I am glad they will play us. … FUBeAR, I admit I am not nearly as knowledgeable or smart as you. I do enjoy conversations on UFFP, and enjoy them even more when I feel that I have some information or at least opinion that I’m interesting in sharing.. That’s all, other than to say I hope others on UFFP looked at that interesting list of the payouts.
 #73876  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:36 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Cock shock ‘23!
Is that how that works?

So…IS that how it works?
My post was based on SEVERAL other payouts for games in the list that I saw. Yes, I do think ND is charitable in this case, and I praise them for that. Of course, if they don’t continue scheduling some FCS teams in the future, I will reconsider. But some of the others that I noticed were Youngstown State, Sacramento State, Murray State, UTC, some others, getting relatively large amounts for going to play at big schools similarly close to them as we are to USC. By the way, I call UGA ungenerous for what they’re paying UT-Martin. The other end of the spectrum is the relative pittance Maine is getting from some school in far-south Florida (FIU?). I realize some, maybe most, of the discrepancies have to do with how long ago the contracts were agreed to. Many have to do with the athletics budget of the FBS school. Many or most do reflect the travel distance. Still, I believe that SEC schools are as rich as anybody, are getting only richer, and they can afford to be generous. And yes, I was trying to pick a little bit at USC, maybe unfairly. I am glad they will play us. … FUBeAR, I admit I am not nearly as knowledgeable or smart as you. I do enjoy conversations on UFFP, and enjoy them even more when I feel that I have some information or at least opinion that I’m interesting in sharing.. That’s all, other than to say I hope others on UFFP looked at that interesting list of the payouts.
The list is interesting.

Think it’s best to view each of these games, which are part of contracts, as the business transactions that they are. The FBS Teams are buying an opponent’s presence and participation. The FCS Teams are selling their presence and participation.

While some (very) small measure of magnanimity may be built into some contracts (Chris Hatcher hired Kirby Smart into his 1st Coaching job, so Samford gets a game in Athens, maybe a wee bit better deal than Austin Peay would get … and Georgia only beats ‘em 33-0 instead of 330-0, for example), most are pure business agreements negotiated between the 2 parties to that contract.

Notre Dame, for example, is paying for a historic HBCU (yeah, FUBeAR knows he doubled the H’s) to visit whose Head Coach is a LEGEND - Heisman Winner, B1G All-Everything @ Ohio State (Notre Dame is in the heart of B1G country, College Football Hall of Fame, future NFL Hall of Fame, etc. TSU will be ND’s 1st-ever FCS opponent & 1st-ever HBCU game. It will be broadcast on NBC AND streaming on Peacock. Their Athletic Staff is ‘chirping’ about how tough TSU’s AD was in their negotiations and then, in the next breath, talking about how pleased they are to be able to help a traditionally underfunded, marginalized, sj-buzzword3, sj-buzzword4, sj-buzzword5, etc. TSU was 4-7 last year - it's a guaranteed bowl-eligibility-counting win, a home game, a HUGE PR opportunity, a HUGE Social Credits opportunity. Tremendous value in all of those to Notre Dame Football, Notre Dame Athletics, and the University of Notre Dame. ND is getting their $1m worth. If they were playing Akron, they’d probably have to hire FUBeAR’s imaginary band, BREWDOGG, to play at halftime, to make it even close to profitable.

So…a few small favors are exchanged, sure….BUT…99% of the reasons for and the 'prices of' these games is Supply & Demand (of course) … along with the required components of any legal contract - mutual assent, as expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration / compensation; exchange of value; capacity to deliver; and legality.

Charitable donations are not delivered via College Football Games / Games Contracts.
Charity is donating to the FPPA, The UFFP, and/or the Furman Athletics Fund…hopefully all 3.
 #73907  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Cock shock ‘23!
Is that how that works?

So…IS that how it works?
The list is interesting.

Think it’s best to view each of these games, which are part of contracts, as the business transactions that they are. The FBS Teams are buying an opponent’s presence and participation. The FCS Teams are selling their presence and participation.

While some (very) small measure of magnanimity may be built into some contracts (Chris Hatcher hired Kirby Smart into his 1st Coaching job, so Samford gets a game in Athens, maybe a wee bit better deal than Austin Peay would get … and Georgia only beats ‘em 33-0 instead of 330-0, for example), most are pure business agreements negotiated between the 2 parties to that contract.

Notre Dame, for example, is paying for a historic HBCU (yeah, FUBeAR knows he doubled the H’s) to visit whose Head Coach is a LEGEND - Heisman Winner, B1G All-Everything @ Ohio State (Notre Dame is in the heart of B1G country, College Football Hall of Fame, future NFL Hall of Fame, etc. TSU will be ND’s 1st-ever FCS opponent & 1st-ever HBCU game. It will be broadcast on NBC AND streaming on Peacock. Their Athletic Staff is ‘chirping’ about how tough TSU’s AD was in their negotiations and then, in the next breath, talking about how pleased they are to be able to help a traditionally underfunded, marginalized, sj-buzzword3, sj-buzzword4, sj-buzzword5, etc. TSU was 4-7 last year - it's a guaranteed bowl-eligibility-counting win, a home game, a HUGE PR opportunity, a HUGE Social Credits opportunity. Tremendous value in all of those to Notre Dame Football, Notre Dame Athletics, and the University of Notre Dame. ND is getting their $1m worth. If they were playing Akron, they’d probably have to hire FUBeAR’s imaginary band, BREWDOGG, to play at halftime, to make it even close to profitable.

So…a few small favors are exchanged, sure….BUT…99% of the reasons for and the 'prices of' these games is Supply & Demand (of course) … along with the required components of any legal contract - mutual assent, as expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration / compensation; exchange of value; capacity to deliver; and legality.

Charitable donations are not delivered via College Football Games / Games Contracts.
Charity is donating to the FPPA, The UFFP, and/or the Furman Athletics Fund…hopefully all 3.
All good and enjoyable commentary. Thank you.
 #74613  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:14 am
From the Greenville News

Sept. 9: Furman

The Gamecocks don't disappoint in their home opener with another dominant offensive outing. Rattler surpasses 250 passing yards and gives Juice Wells his first touchdown at Williams-Brice Stadium, while Pete Lembo gets to experiment with some special teams tricks.

Prediction: South Carolina 38, Furman 14
 #74616  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:13 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:14 am
From the Greenville News

Sept. 9: Furman

The Gamecocks don't disappoint in their home opener with another dominant offensive outing. Rattler surpasses 250 passing yards and gives Juice Wells his first touchdown at Williams-Brice Stadium, while Pete Lembo gets to experiment with some special teams tricks.

Prediction: South Carolina 38, Furman 14
Pete Lembo is .500 / 3-3 vs. Furman. He better just focus on getting above .500.

FUBeAR remembers some Gamecocks special teams tricks they used in ‘82…
* Roughed our FG Kicker on a made FG, the penalty for which we accepted and converted 3 to 7 (+4)
* Got a Punt Blocked and we recovered in the end zone for a TD (+7)
7+4 = 11
28-23 = 5

Lay those tricks on us, Coach Pete!!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #74628  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Cock shock ‘23!
ND is different. My daughter has handled old books in the Architecture library worth $500K. They're told to let the school know if they find other incredibly expensive old books because ND will snap them up, no problem. The rich Catholics of the US fight to see who can dump the most money on Notre Dame. And that's just on the academic side. So sharing with an HBCU isn't a big deal. Part of the mission.

Is that how that works?

So…IS that how it works?
The list is interesting.

#74866  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:39 am
This should be interesting........................
We hope it is. My hopes were dimmed somewhat tonight but have over a week to prepare. Really worried about the OL especially now with 3 more injuries.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.