• Tennessee Tech - August 31

#74762  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:28 am
The Jackal's Birdseye view for tonight:

I'm excited to see how the offense has developed with Roper/Huff being in their roles for a full year now.

TTU doesn't have much experience at QB, so I would expect them to try to establish the run with some of their talented backs. Stopping the run was such a staple of Furman's defensive identity last season, that I'm interested to see how we handle that early.

We were susceptible some some lapses in defensive coverage last year. TTU will know that and I expect we'll see them give their young QB some chances to throw 50/50 balls down the field in hopes of breaking a big play.

Offensively, we're going to need to establish the run. Keep Huff clean on pass plays. Run the ball hard.

Expect anything and everything. This game is instant credibility for the Golden Eagles. They know they are not likely to stand toe-to-toe for four quarters and exchange body blows with Furman, so they're going to take their shots.

Furman needs to win the halves. Finish strong before half time. Finish strong late.
 #74764  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:43 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:43 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:21 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:00 pm
I have not been as excited about a Furman football season since the 2005. It's been a long time since FU has gotten as much positive attention from the media and ranking services.

That makes me a little nervous that we can live up to the hype. But I think this group of players and coaches can do it. There's a lot of experience coming back from last year.

I don't think Tenn Tech is going to be a pushover.

Go Paladins!
TTU is for sure not coming to lose. A win in Greenville would give them instant credibility as a program. Arguably the biggest game on their schedule.

Furman is the heavy favorite, but they are going to give us a fight.
THIS> REAL PROGRAMS respect everyone and while they expect to win they do NOT expect to just show up and win.. they know they have to give everything on EVERY PLAY and that is what makes them good. ANything less and upsets happen. TTU has this game circled I guarantee you. It's an opportunity for instant respect. These aren't chumps - they are recruited scholarship players picked third in their conference.
This game kinda feels like the 2005 opener at JSU (but luckily this is a home game). Highly ranked and expected to win. This isn’t North Greenville so agreed with what was said: show up on every play and win.
That game was A LOT of fun. FUBeAR was there.
 #74767  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:20 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:43 am

That game was A LOT of fun. FUBeAR was there.
That game was a blast. Wolf, Jackal, and several other students were there (maybe Din Djarin? - sorry if you were and I forgot buddy), and we had a good time going back and forth with the Jax St band.

I REALLY hope it's not that close tonight!
 #74802  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:15 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:43 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:21 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:00 pm
I have not been as excited about a Furman football season since the 2005. It's been a long time since FU has gotten as much positive attention from the media and ranking services.

That makes me a little nervous that we can live up to the hype. But I think this group of players and coaches can do it. There's a lot of experience coming back from last year.

I don't think Tenn Tech is going to be a pushover.

Go Paladins!
TTU is for sure not coming to lose. A win in Greenville would give them instant credibility as a program. Arguably the biggest game on their schedule.

Furman is the heavy favorite, but they are going to give us a fight.
THIS> REAL PROGRAMS respect everyone and while they expect to win they do NOT expect to just show up and win.. they know they have to give everything on EVERY PLAY and that is what makes them good. ANything less and upsets happen. TTU has this game circled I guarantee you. It's an opportunity for instant respect. These aren't chumps - they are recruited scholarship players picked third in their conference.
This game kinda feels like the 2005 opener at JSU (but luckily this is a home game). Highly ranked and expected to win. This isn’t North Greenville so agreed with what was said: show up on every play and win.

That game was on the road against a top 20 opponent.

I think we, as fans, need to understand this Furman team isn't going to beat everyone by a billion points. We're gonna play some tough teams. Outside of South Carolina, we may be the biggest game on every team's schedule this year. We're going to play some close games. We may end up losing a game or two we shouldn't.

I'm excited to see the story of this season unfold. We should be pretty good. It'd be nice to see the boys go make a nice statement out of the gate.
No doubt the circumstances are different, this just seems like a similar feel to how that 2005 season started:
1. Coming off a solid playoff run
2. 2nd year QB coming off a tremendous season
3. High preseason ranking/expectations
4. Not starting the season with a cupcake team

I was at every game in 2005 and while it was fun to win the JSU game, it was way too close for comfort. One could even argue the hangover from that game lingered into the flop the following week at Western. I know the players and staff are ready for tonight. I’m just a bit rusty as a fan when it comes to preseason confidence.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #74803  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:36 pm
Yeah, a night game in Cullowhee as the back end of a back-to-back road swing to start the season had disaster written all over it. If I recall, WCU played a D2 school first week while Furman had to tangle with a top 20 team on the road in what was - at that time - one of the toughest venues to visit in FCS football. As FCS games go, that's up there with one of the more brutal schedules we've had to start a season.

Looking back at that 2005 season, though, I was surprised to see that a lot of our games ended up being shootouts. During the regular season, only once did we hold a team under 21 points (Elon). We surrendered around 28 ppg that season. Helps to score 35 a contest, though.
 #74805  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm
Investment advisors believe Furman will win by 24.5 points tonight and the total score for both Teams will be 50.5 points

….so, about 37-13, good guys.

FUBeAR sees it like this…

Furman D, seeking to win the SoCon AND earn a Top 2 Playoff Seed, takes this opportunity to shut down an All Big Sky / All-American RB that portaled hisself to Cookeville. Golden Eagles have a huge question mark at QB. Furman rolls.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 42 - TTU 6
 #74808  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm
Investment advisors believe Furman will win by 24.5 points tonight and the total score for both Teams will be 50.5 points

….so, about 37-13, good guys.

FUBeAR sees it like this…

Furman D, seeking to win the SoCon AND earn a Top 2 Playoff Seed, takes this opportunity to shut down an All Big Sky / All-American RB that portaled hisself to Cookeville. Golden Eagles have a huge question mark at QB. Furman rolls.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 42 - TTU 6
42-6. doubt it . We are a 27 pt favorite. I don’t see it.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.