• 2023 Pre-season

#74099  by gman84
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:46 am
The only thing I can confirm regarding helmets, is the pic of coach Novo was an old “demo” helmet.
 #74100  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:56 am
gman84 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:46 am
The only thing I can confirm regarding helmets, is the pic of coach Novo was an old “demo” helmet.
Thank goodness!!!!
 #74103  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:07 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:29 pm
If there is a new helmet introduced this season - the timing makes me wonder with the passing of Coach Sheridan if we could see a throw-back silver helmet.

I think I'm right Furman wore silver helmets from 1973–1977.
Correct according to the helmet project. http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I have mentioned this before, but seeing all the SoCon teams together, it's at least slightly annoying that all but two SoCon schools (WCU and Wofford) wear white helmets.
FWIW - when grading film, it’s often helpful, particularly in OL grading, to be able to clearly see the Players’ heads/helmets as the body follows where the head/eyes go and clearly discerning that vector is critical to evaluating and coaching/correcting Players. White helmets stand out on video much easier than colored helmets.

But don’t listen to ol’ FUBeAR though. This is what Coach Sheridan told FUBeAR was the reason that he preferred white helmets. Perhaps the Coaching Staffs at other SoCon schools have figured this out as well.
 #74106  by HB88
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm
True, no doubt and an interesting anecdote. Of course, watching game film in the 1970s was a slightly different experience than what teams have access to in the digital age. I like the white helmets, regardless, but am not doctrinaire. If they come up with a grey or silver that looks good, I'll be on board, too.
 #74108  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:30 pm
HB88 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm
True, no doubt and an interesting anecdote. Of course, watching game film in the 1970s was a slightly different experience than what teams have access to in the digital age. I like the white helmets, regardless, but am not doctrinaire. If they come up with a grey or silver that looks good, I'll be on board, too.
FUBeAR Coached O-Lines and evaluated video thru 2012 or so…and had open access to Mercer’s video via Hudl from 2013 thru 2015 (don’t tell anyone).

White helmets still help in the modern era. Now, when video is being graded via AI…or even better, the Players are really just AI playing the games in the Cloud, helmet color won’t matter very much.
HB88 liked this
 #74126  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:23 am
Based on this data…

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =658338248

…FUBeAR just decided to move Furman up 1 spot to #3 in his preseason rankings, behind #1 South Dakota State and #2 Montana State.

That moves North Dakota State down to #4 and FUBeAR is evaluating further to see if he is gonna leave the bizuns that high.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #74135  by gman84
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:09 am
Furman is not going to replace the white helmets. Having an alternate helmet for a game or two that players and fans can embrace is a good thing. If the captain of the ship did not approve, then there would not be an alternate helmet.
dornb, FUBeAR, bj93 liked this
 #74136  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:28 am
gman84 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:09 am
Furman is not going to replace the white helmets. Having an alternate helmet for a game or two that players and fans can embrace is a good thing. If the captain of the ship did not approve, then there would not be an alternate helmet.
Just to clarify…

* FUBeAR is all good with Alternate Helmets displaying alternate adorning a few times a season

* FUBeAR is all good if Furman changed to Silver or Purple helmets on an all-the-time or frequent basis

* FUBeAR would not be pleased if the Diamond F (<F>) is ever ‘dropped’ as the primary helmet symbol on the primary helmets, regardless of the colors (within the Purple, White, Silver ‘palette’) of either the helmets or the Diamond F

* FUBeAR would think any ‘linkage’ of Coach Sheridan, in any way, to any non-white helmet or any helmet (even a white one) not displaying the Diamond F to be extremely ill-conceived. It would be akin to linking Coach Bear Bryant to a raspberry beret instead of a black & white houndstooth fedora.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #74137  by AstroDin
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:47 am
We've trodden down this water before about the Diamond F.
I know its creator, Dennis Zeiger occasionally has jumped into some conversations on the forum.

Dennis and I have chatted a few times about the origin of the Diamond F.
I have no idea what or if Furman will do for an alternate helmet design.
If my memory is correct, I brought up the possibility of a silver helmet because the Dallas Cowboys helmet and Star were an example direction. The silver Dallas helmet IMO is a classic helmet that has stood the test of time.

Just bringing this up for the possible relevance of a silver helmet. Based on the Helmet Project site and Bear would know this better than I - the White Helmet introduced in 1978 had silver and purple stripes.
 #74138  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:47 am
We've trodden down this water before about the Diamond F.
I know its creator, Dennis Zeiger occasionally has jumped into some conversations on the forum.

Dennis and I have chatted a few times about the origin of the Diamond F.
I have no idea what or if Furman will do for an alternate helmet design.
If my memory is correct, I brought up the possibility of a silver helmet because the Dallas Cowboys helmet and Star were an example direction. The silver Dallas helmet IMO is a classic helmet that has stood the test of time.

Just bringing this up for the possible relevance of a silver helmet. Based on the Helmet Project site and Bear would know this better than I - the White Helmet introduced in 1978 had silver and purple stripes.
Yep - white helmet, purple facemasks, Diamond F (all purple), Center of helmet striping - Purple/Silver (double width)/Purple, white chinstrap, white earpieces, white front/back leather “bumpers,” “Bike” on front above facemask (no custom words) written in blue (maybe…not sure). Purple Stars on back for winning performances and such.
 #74140  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:12 pm
According to helmet project, it looks like at some point we had a knight/chess piece on the lid.
 #74145  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:07 pm
Also, scanning down the coaches, it would appear that Furman Paladin turned Mercer defensive line coach, Justin Brown, appears back with the program with title of Chaplain.