• 2023 Pre-season

#73769  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:02 am
A few nice snags by #0 Ethan Harris. Harris played in a few games last season and had a couple of catches. He might be a guy that sneaks up from the pack in the same way Joshua Harris did.

Love to see a deep throw to Pline and a quick out. If he can catch like that from the TE spot, we'll be in business.
 #73770  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:16 am
Preseason Preview: Defensive line. https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/8/ ... -line.aspx

Take away:

NG: Stephens, Cook
DT: Sochovka, Stanfield
DE: Barton, Jackson

Looks like the two impressive freshmen, Bussey and Stoneking, may work in some to the rotation. Benefit there is you have two freshman that could technically be third on the depth chart and can both play in four games (could be four different games each).

With our defensive line, we can mix and match with anyone's personnel or game situation. Running downs, you'll see some of the space eaters. Passing downs, the pass rush guys. I'm sure we will mix fronts, odd/even depending on opponent and situation.

It is no small task for an offensive line to deal with a deep, versatile defensive line. The constant rotation of fresh players, no real drop in production, and guys with different skill sets that can play multiple positions, all create a constant stress on a teams offensive front.
 #73771  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:22 am
Our defensive staff also does a good job of isolating players in matchup problems.

Sochovka, for instance, almost requires two blockers every time he's out there. When paired with another active and physical interior linemen, you force an offense to contribute a lot of capital to stopping the interior push. That leaves guys on the edges to get one-on-one matchups where their speed and physicality can control.

Here, Wofford contributes 6 players to block 4. Sochovka and Coleman suck up 4 of them. That leaves Barton on a less-athletic right tackle and Maier against a TE. Everything contained. Everything constricting. No where to run. No where to throw.

You can drill and scheme all you want as an offense. There's not much coaching can do for what Barton does to Wofford's RT on this play.

#73791  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Preseason Preview: Defensive line. https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/8/ ... -line.aspx

Take away:

Looks like the two impressive freshmen, Bussey and Stoneking, may work in some to the rotation. Benefit there is you have two freshman that could technically be third on the depth chart and can both play in four games (could be four different games each).

With our defensive line, we can mix and match with anyone's personnel or game situation. Running downs, you'll see some of the space eaters. Passing downs, the pass rush guys. I'm sure we will mix fronts, odd/even depending on opponent and situation.

It is no small task for an offensive line to deal with a deep, versatile defensive line. The constant rotation of fresh players, no real drop in production, and guys with different skill sets that can play multiple positions, all create a constant stress on a teams offensive front.
Noticed a small thing related to this post. Freshman David Alabi wasn't listed. Alabi is shown on the day one practice video; he's number 53. I'm guessing Furman has or is moving Alabi to LB or Bandit. Alabi played both DE and OLB in high school, also he chose Furman over mostly FBS schools.

Add another addition to the d-line this season, Marc Hernández. We could see Hernández play both DT and NG.
 #73792  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:19 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Take away:

Noticed a small thing related to this post. Freshman David Alabi wasn't listed. Alabi is shown on the day one practice video; he's number 53. I'm guessing Furman has or is moving Alabi to LB or Bandit. Alabi played both DE and OLB in high school, also he chose Furman over mostly FBS schools.

Add another addition to the d-line this season, Marc Hernández. We could see Hernández play both DT and NG.
We ‘had’ Hernandez previously. FUBeAR recalls reviewing his Twitter feed & his HS videos from TX (2 different times, actually) AND this is the only place FUBeAR uses for his Furman Football recruiting knowledge.
 #73793  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Take away:

I suspect Furman isn't going to need to keep Alabi, Stoneking, and Bussey all at DE. Alabi was listed as a bandit in the initial press release on the signing class.
 #73794  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:19 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Take away:

We ‘had’ Hernandez previously. FUBeAR recalls reviewing his Twitter feed & his HS videos from TX (2 different times, actually) AND this is the only place FUBeAR uses for his Furman Football recruiting knowledge.

Players like Hernandez are guys that, in my view, can take teams from being "good" to "great."

At 6'4 310 he's a big hombre. Furman isn't going to need him to be "the guy" on the defensive line. However, the ability to throw another big body at at an offense in certain situations makes us just that much tougher to deal with and game plan for.
 #73795  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:31 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:43 am
Offensive line preview;
So, we know:

Johanning
Hughes
Toomey

Sounds like Fred Norman seems to be the likely guy at the other OT spot across from Toomey.

Then there's half a dozen guys that are competing for that last spot, which is probably at OG. Of course, we'll rotate a lot of players in during the game.

Looks like a lot of available bodies and a lot of size up front.
 #73837  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:39 pm
Couple of updates on the roster I thought worth mentioning:

- Tyler Huff now listed at 6'1 216 and appears to be embracing his role as a QB-built-like-a-linebacker.
- Amaah Achina moves to ILB. I assume that may be in part because in the next year or two we'll graduate a lot of our ILB corps.
- Xavier Stephens looks to have gained 20 pounds and is now pushing 300lbs as a NG.
- Sirod Cook is listed at 288, which is nearly 20 lbs heavier than he played at Wingate
- Caldwell Bussey listed at 273. He was announced at 252 for the '23 class.
- Marc Hernandez at 6'4 316.
- Mason Pline added 10 pounds and is listed at 6'7 260.
- Luke Clark up to 250 as a Bandit

I realize there is some Wofford math in all of this, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me this isn't the physically biggest team Furman's ever fielded. Yet to be determined if we can play, but we're gonna look good getting off the bus.

There are going to be third/fourth string special teams players that are legit dudes. I mean, our daggum kicker is 6'3 225.
AstroDin, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #73838  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:05 pm
After having been around these young men recently, the difference physically between this team and teams 3-4 years ago is stark. True freshman that look like grown men. These are some big fellers.
AstroDin, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #73839  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:26 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:05 pm
After having been around these young men recently, the difference physically between this team and teams 3-4 years ago is stark. True freshman that look like grown men. These are some big fellers.

I think that's the difference that strikes me.

Yes, we got some big guys. So does everyone. It's that the 3rd and 4th guys at a lot of these positions all look ready to square up.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #73857  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:30 am
A few thoughts on the defense:

Flexibility.

1. Noted earlier, but Furman is going to have a lot of mix and match options on the defensive front. We've got size, pass rushers, run stoppers, and depth. We are big enough to play two gap, fast enough to play one gap. I don't think you'll see many FCS teams with that sort of flexibility up front.

2. I was intrigued by the note that Achina moved to ILB, but can play both SPUR and ILB. I doubt that move was made for depth purposes, because we are really deep at ILB and have only 3 players listed at SPUR, two of which are seniors.

It could be you see Furman shift their focus a little bit. Furman seemed to modify the position a good bit last year. Jalen Miller was the primary option at SPUR after Achina's injury, and more often than not, he was essentially lined up more traditional SAM linebacker. For instance, here:

I doubt the roles really change. I suspect that if Furman wants more pass coverage help in a situation, they'll turn to a designated nickel corner (which Chizik has largely handled the last few years). If we prioritize a bit more beef up front, you might see Achina or Miller step in. With a healthy Achina and veteran Miller, Vaughn can probably get even more creative with these looks.