• 2024 Recruiting

#73684  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Noah Akinsola from TX commits!

Furman was his first D1 offer. Also has offers from San Diego, Davidson, Grambling, and Georgetown.
 #73687  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm
Quick recap of where we are at this point.

Commitments:
RB Jeremiah Gavin Hall
NG Bruce Knauber
QB Terry Hedden III
WR Devin Hester Jr
DB Jordan Miller
TE Jackson Pryor
WR Santino Varvel
OT Steven O’Dell
DE Malaki Dobbins
OT Noah Akinsola

Other guys to keep an eye on going forward:
Kevin Doddard
Jalin Edwards
Chase Gregorek
Edward "Tre" Brown
Berdendrick "Den" Johnson
Possible DB commit Roper mentioned a few days ago (unsure of who this might be)

There will be other guys but these are the ones who have an offer and who were at VIP day, recently visited, or are followed by a lot of our coaches.
AstroDin liked this
 #73689  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:18 pm
I understand that we have 14 commits. And that includes the one today. I think there is room for just a couple more.
AstroDin liked this
 #73707  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 am
Noah Akinsola — is another long-frame lineman (6-5, 260) ex-basketball player with a wide wingspan. Appears to be very athletic. Akinsola looks like a great bookend at tackle with O' Dell.

I'm curious if the DINS have 14 commits in the tank, is there a third lineman?
 #73715  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:22 pm
FU goes back in to familiar territory at Pine Forest (NC) with Coach Sochovka and grabs a commitment from DB/Ath Fredrick Logan!

He had offers from Army, Brown, and Wofford
 #73728  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:53 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:41 pm
Berdendrick “Den” Johnson commits! DB out of GA.

Had offers from Columbia, Penn, AF, and Army

I looked into Johnson a bit. I was intrigued that he is from Pelham, GA, a rural part of Southwest Georgia, not far from the Florida border. It' an area that Furman almost never gets recruits.

To pull Furman, Academy, and Ivy league offers out of a small farming community, to me, really says something about this kid.

Local news shows that he is likely the QB for a small class A public school running the veer. He's listed at 6'1 and looks like a talented athlete. Looking forward to watching him play.
 #73729  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:37 pm
Is it normal for us to seemingly have our entire class locked up by August 1?
We don’t normally have this many guys committed by the start of the season I don’t believe. To me, it’s likely due to two reasons.

Furman is coming off it’s first really good season in a while with a lot of national momentum, and the transfer portal has resulted in some schools offering/taking less high schoolers so more of them are committing on the offers they do have while they are able. At least that’s my take.
 #73730  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:37 am
Commitment list update:

1. RB Jeremiah Gavin Hall
2. NG Bruce Knauber
3. QB Terry Hedden III
4. WR Devin Hester Jr
5. DB Jordan Miller
6. TE Jackson Pryor
7. WR Santino Varvel
8. OT Steven O’Dell
9. DE Malaki Dobbins
10. OT Noah Akinsola
11. DB Berdendrick "Den" Johnson
12. ?
13. ?
14. ?

Guys to watch:
Jalin Edwards
Kevin Doddard
Chase Gregorek
Edward "Tre" Brown
 #73731  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:11 am
Jalin Edwards is going to announce on August 4th…
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuFonjTvyea/

Also digging through Jalin's Instagram feed I found these images from VIP day:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cue12DbLOMU/?img_index=1

If the DINS get Jalin, this is a class that is going to be not just a top-five class, but the class of FCS football.
Final thought: discovering Jalin's Instagram account, one thing is obvious, out of all the schools offering, including the likes of Memphis and UAB, Furman is the only school he's posted about on Instagram. This could be a peak in the crystal ball or just that he got some great shots from his Furman visit.
 #73732  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:41 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
We don’t normally have this many guys committed by the start of the season I don’t believe. To me, it’s likely due to two reasons.

Furman is coming off it’s first really good season in a while with a lot of national momentum, and the transfer portal has resulted in some schools offering/taking less high schoolers so more of them are committing on the offers they do have while they are able. At least that’s my take.
I like your comments. However, being the pessimist that I am, I see the transfer situation as a good thing though not a totally good thing since recruits can accept our offer and play here a year or two with the idea of transferring to a higher profile school with a literally more lucrative (in terms of dollars) opportunity.
 #73740  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:40 am
affirm wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I like your comments. However, being the pessimist that I am, I see the transfer situation as a good thing though not a totally good thing since recruits can accept our offer and play here a year or two with the idea of transferring to a higher profile school with a literally more lucrative (in terms of dollars) opportunity.
But they aren’t doing that

The grad programs are keeping them at furman
 #73741  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:36 am
affirm wrote:

You're not wrong, but that's just where we are as an FCS program. Heck, there's nothing stopping any of these guys who are committed now from decommitting if a more attractive offer comes along. It happens to every FCS program. We've been lucky with that to this point.

I think our coaches do a good job of identifying kids who can make us better as a football team who also care just as much about the education. When recruiting isn't just about football for a kid, I think they're less likely to chase offers.

Unfortunately, if a kid thinks he has a chance to go play at an ACC/SEC school, we probably aren't going to be able to stop that. Again though, I think the coaches have done a very good job in creating a culture where kids want to stay. I think you've seen that's been the case so far. We'll see how everything looks in 3-4 years when all the Covid year kids have cycled through. If Furman can consistently only have a few kids transferring every year, we're probably going to be in a better spot than most schools.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.