• 2023 Pre-season

#73649  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:40 pm
Saturday twitter scan.

Saw a photo of one of the S&C coaches wearing the black uniforms. He looks like he's wearing a standard white lid, but with a black sword striping, black facemask, and "FURMAN" front bumper.

Maybe nothing. Maybe a fusion between the standard white helmets and the purple matte lids used with the black uniform (which I liked)
Hard to tell but that doesn’t look like a diamond F logo on the side. Surely they would never wear a helmet without the diamond F on the side. Hopefully that is just a sample and not a helmet that will be used. Not a fan of the black sword either.
 #73653  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:42 pm
The Cats wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:52 am
In case you missed it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQSFLYOt7o
Thanks - Awesome - that ChillWell Mini A/C Cooler seems like a great product. FUBeAR ordered 2 using the discount that came with that video ad. Would’ve hated to have missed that!
 #73671  by HKB60
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:13 am
FU Football has a record number of walk-ons this year that lead to the number of players on the roster. We have between 30-40 reporting this year and I am sure we will find a diamond in this group that will lead to a scholly for one or more of these guys!!
dornb liked this
 #73672  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:17 am
And i hope the admin realizes the revenue these young men are generating for the whole school. And there is a high probability that they would not be here if not for the chance to walk on and play football. No other sport comes close to generating that kind of tuition revenue for the school. 40 players times $70k = a whole lot of cash.
dornb, HKB60 liked this
 #73673  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:48 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
And i hope the admin realizes the revenue these young men are generating for the whole school. And there is a high probability that they would not be here if not for the chance to walk on and play football. No other sport comes close to generating that kind of tuition revenue for the school. 40 players times $70k = a whole lot of cash.
You could say the same thing about baseball. 35 players, 9 scholarships. 26 times $70k is a lot of money. Why don’t we have a baseball team? 😳😳
FUeveryday, FurmanATT liked this
 #73675  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:28 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
That’s $2.8 million and one COULD say… well 63 x 70k = $4.4 million, so we’re $1.6 million ‘in the hole’…

…BUT…

FUBeAR thinks the math actually looks a little different than that…

129 humans attending minus 63 Football Scholarships (doesn’t matter how they are split - 129 humans are, in some way, charged the $69,880). So…

129 x $69,880 = $9,014,520 … less …
63 x $69,880 = $4,402,440 … equals
$4,612,080 …

…so charges to humans attending Furman AND playing Football exceed the ‘cost’ of Football Scholarships - ‘given-away charges’ perhaps - by $209,640.

So…besides all of the intrinsic benefits accruing to Furman from having a nationally-ranked Football Team, BEFORE the Revenue less Expenses (not including scholarships) calculations are ciphered, Furman Football should be credited with that $210k.

FUBeAR understands, with discounts / alternative funding / credits / et cetera / ad infinitum that there are many different ways to look at the whole Accounting associated with College Athletics / Scholarships, but this is certainly ONE way.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #73677  by gofurman
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:15 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:33 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 pm
FUBeAR I bet you had no trouble passing Business Statistics at Furman (assuming you took it).
FUBeAR made very few A’s at dear old FU.

That said, FUBeAR was a big fan of Dr. Charles L. Alford. Aced both his undergrad and MBA Stats classes!

Finance courses and grades with Dr. Dixon Cunningham, also at both levels, were an entirely different matter.
I too had Alford for a similar undergrad class and very much enjoyed it. Practical class unlike some. I knew him to be a Wofford Grad - "Dr. Charles Lang Alford, III, Ph.D. is an economics expert witness from South Carolina. He completed his B.A. in Economics in 1968 from the Wofford College at Spartanburg, South Carolina and then earned his Ph.D. in Economics and Business Administration with Major in Marketing and Minor in Economies and Quantitative Methods in 1972 from the University of Alabama. Currently, Dr. Alford is the Professor Emeritus at the Furman University. He is also an independent consultant at Greenville, South Carolina."

So... I once asked him did he pull for Furman or Wofford? He said "Furman, they pay me here". Good man
 #73678  by gofurman
 Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:43 am
The only bit of the roster that gives me a little pause right now is QB.

Huff is obviously going to be the guy going into the season. That was still a job he had to earn last year.

With Jace Wilson transferring, though, there's very little experience behind him. Carson Jones moved into the QB2 role last season, but played sparingly in two blowout games.

With as much as Huff carries the ball (a shade under 20% of Furman's carries last year), we're likely going to need the backup at some point, even if only for a drive. Many good Furman teams have had to rely on the backup QB carrying the team on a big drive in a key game.

As much as I love Huff's game, I hope the coaches emphasize to him not taking unnecessary shots while on the run. He's built like a linebacker and runs angry. I wouldn't hate to see him go down or get out of bounds, though.
Love his toughness... but agree with Jackal that once you have the first I too wouldn't mind a slide or get out of bounds. You have to know your value - fight for every inch but if you cruise past the marker get out when a hit is coming if you can see it
FurmanATT liked this
 #73709  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:30 am
Preseason Info: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... Packet.pdf

That PDF has one of my favorite pictures I think I've seen of Furman football on page 2. It's a photo of Tyler Huff running into the end zone with at least 6 Elon defenders falling over themselves trying to catch him.
Yep - the CAA fans on AGS didn’t seem to appreciate FUBeAR including that photo with every post about the relative quality of SoCon vs. CAA Football
 #73758  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:45 am
The first video of practice, no 5 throwing darts, is Carson Jones.
dornb liked this
 #73760  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:00 am
^^^ no. 89 catching several balls is 6-7 Mason Pline.

^^^ another take Bryce Stanfield looks ready to play.
 #73761  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:10 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:00 am
^^^ no. 89 catching several balls is 6-7 Mason Pline.

^^^ another take Bryce Stanfield looks ready to play.
No knee-brace on #6 - wheels 🛞 all good!
dornb liked this