• 2023 Pre-season

#73422  by Yadkin
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:39 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:46 am
Am surprised the bios on the roster still aren’t updated.
Looks like some of the bios are updated. I’m sure it’s a work in progress. I count 129 players. That’s a lot of guys.
 #73424  by Davemeister
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:33 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:31 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:27 pm
And your argument is that CCH has said great things about him. Do you really think a coach would say bad things about a player publically? All I am saying is to take what CCH is saying with a grain of salt. I've heard coaches in the past hype up players when in reality they suck. Not saying this is the case for CJ. CJ could very well be a great player but most college QBs take a while to develop.
Instead of saying "Will not" I should have said, "Is likely" to not be ready.

Let's hope we don't have to find out.
 #73426  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:25 am
I think that's overblown. If the coaching staff felt completely uncomfortable with our backup QB situation, I assume they would have brought in someone to provide that depth (like they did last season).

Of course, you'd rather not have to rely on the backup. At the same time, in any given season it's not uncommon for a team to have to rely on the QB2 in a key spot or game. So, someone is going to have to be ready.

Last season, Furman had to bring Jace Wilson off the bench in the Charleston Southern game. I remember Renaldo Gray coming off the bench to win a key game against the Citadel when Ingle Martin went down. Jordan Sorrells came off the bench the next season in relief of Gray to beat Jacksonville State. Those sorts of games with playoff offenses.

Samford, for instance, with everything hanging in the balance in terms of their post season positioning, had to turn the offense over to the backup QB against Mercer in overtime.

Ideally, you don't want to have to rely on the backup in key spots, but it may well happen at some point. Someone is going to need to be ready to go.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #73428  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:52 am
Every SoCon Team has now posted a 'current' 2023 Roster. Samford took theirs down for some reason, but not before FUBeAR 'captured' it. Certainly they are not all finalized and FUBeAR had to sort of 'compile' Chatt's from their "Signing Day" roster...but anyway....there's enough there to start doing some 'analysis'....

Due to impacts of Transfer Portal & COVID 'Free Years," the Focus of this analysis is on Transfers & "Roster Churn" - Highs and Lows in each column are BOLDED

Your thoughts?

Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #73429  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:58 am
Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think FU had ever had 129 players on a roster. I think the norm is around a hundred give or take a few.
 #73436  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:58 am
Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think FU had ever had 129 players on a roster. I think the norm is around a hundred give or take a few.
My guess is that roster is freakishly big for a Furman football team. At some spots, we've got three players for a single number (interested to know whose job it was to not screw up those potential combinations, incidentally).

There are probably a few reasons for that.

- I would speculate that we are still dealing with a number of players with "COVID" eligibility.
- Our grad programs now allow us to retain players longer. There are 12 grad students on the team.
- Some guys are a statistical oddity. Matt Sochovka, for instance, is a 2017 high school grad. He's probably a combination of both points above. Sochovka has been at Furman as long as Hendrix has been head coach.

Even then, it's still a ton of players.
 #73440  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:55 pm
gman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:47 pm
We are now using Woffy math !
Speaking of....

Didn't include it in this pic, but Woffy has the tallest and heaviest average roster in the SoCon. The Woeful Tearyers are the BIG Dogs!
 #73442  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 pm
FUBeAR I bet you had no trouble passing Business Statistics at Furman (assuming you took it).
 #73444  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:33 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 pm
FUBeAR I bet you had no trouble passing Business Statistics at Furman (assuming you took it).
FUBeAR made very few A’s at dear old FU.

That said, FUBeAR was a big fan of Dr. Charles L. Alford. Aced both his undergrad and MBA Stats classes!

Finance courses and grades with Dr. Dixon Cunningham, also at both levels, were an entirely different matter.
 #73448  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:37 am
Huff's updated bio really highlights what sort of an outstanding season he had in '22.
season production ranked among the best in Furman history in several categories: pass attempts (292/6th); completions (199/4th); passing yards (2,199 yds./9th); completion percentage (68.2/3rd); total offense attempts (397/3rd); total offense (2,893/3rd); and touchdown responsibilities (23/6th)...his 694 rushing yards topped the previous Furman season rushing record for quarterbacks of 640 by Justin Hill (1999), and his 6.6 ypc average led the squad
Essentially, one of the greatest offensive seasons by a Furman QB ever. And we didn't even know if he'd be the starter going into last season. Wild.
dornb liked this
 #73449  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:37 am
Huff's updated bio really highlights what sort of an outstanding season he had in '22.

Essentially, one of the greatest offensive seasons by a Furman QB ever. And we didn't even know if he'd be the starter going into last season. Wild.
We?

FUBeAR pegged him as being ready to start @ QB for Furman when has was still residing in Clinnon and hanging out with a bunch of blue ho’s.
 #73463  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:25 am
Initial look at defensive backfield. As I run through this list, you can see the focus the coaching staff has put into recruiting these spots. Furman has the luxury, as they do just about everywhere on the defense, in rotating players and not having a massive drop off in production.

CB:

Travis Blackshear already has 40 starts to his ledger. He's been a guy that largely locks down one side of the field and may well end up as one of the best to play the position at Furman.

I suppose starting opposite him will be Micah Robinson. Robinson is a R-Jr and started 11 games last year.

Behind those two, I suppose you'll see Yates and Chizik, both of whom have a lot of playing time. Chizik has been a monster at the nickel back position. Yates started a few games last season and looks like the heir apparent when Blackshear graduates.

Charles Ingram is also one to watch. He was highly recruited out of high school and got in his 4 games last season. Jaylen Mason also had tons of offers and will be a freshman. So, future is bright here.

FS:

Obviously, Hugh Ryan is one of the best in the league. Jack Rhodes has played a bunch behind him.

Behind Rhodes, though, are some question marks. It will be interesting to see whether one of these highly regarded freshmen like Burrell or Holmes starts working in as a free safety.

SS:

Again, lots of depth.

Kam Brinson started every game last year and, I assume, would be targeted to do so again.

Outside of Brinson, both Caleb Williams and Justin Hartwell played a lot last season (primarily on special teams). Williams seemed like the typical reserve at the position, though, and had a pick against Wofford. Tre McCleod redshirted but, again, is a promising prospect at that position.
 #73632  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:40 pm
Saturday twitter scan.

Saw a photo of one of the S&C coaches wearing the black uniforms. He looks like he's wearing a standard white lid, but with a black sword striping, black facemask, and "FURMAN" front bumper.

Maybe nothing. Maybe a fusion between the standard white helmets and the purple matte lids used with the black uniform (which I liked)

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.