• AP Poll, Coaches Poll, Mid Major Poll

#7320  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:20 am
I think Flagman’s “fear” was referring in jest to the fear of SC scheduling FURMAN , not vice versa.
Definitely. I never thought it was fear on Furman’s part. But also why would SC fear Furman but not fear Wofford. Point is that Wofford’s number of games with USC/Clemson should not be so much higher (30% higher) than Furman’s number of games with USC/Clemson.
 #7324  by din23
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 am
affirm wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
I think Flagman’s “fear” was referring in jest to the fear of SC scheduling FURMAN , not vice versa.
Definitely. I never thought it was fear on Furman’s part. But also why would SC fear Furman but not fear Wofford. Point is that Wofford’s number of games with USC/Clemson should not be so much higher (30% higher) than Furman’s number of games with USC/Clemson.
Scheduling involves far more than just wanting to play someone. I imagine we are fine getting bigger payouts from schools other than Clemson and USC, and we most likely would like some sort of 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 deal that they don’t want.
 #7346  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:59 pm
din23 wrote:
affirm wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Scheduling involves far more than just wanting to play someone. I imagine we are fine getting bigger payouts from schools other than Clemson and USC, and we most likely would like some sort of 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 deal that they don’t want.
That idea could apply to basketball. Could not apply to football where the discrepancy exists also. Yes to payouts from other schools like VPI, NCSU, Auburn, Michigan State, etc., but the “-for-1” is not a valid concept for such in football since none of those, nor any other FBS, is ever going to come play us in Greenville.
As I previously pointed out regarding football, in the 25 years 1999-2023, Furman will have had 30% fewer football games against USC/CU than Wofford will have had and 12.5% fewer than Citadel will have had.
 #7348  by tya1
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm
ESPN's Bracketology expert, Joe Lunardi, currently lists Furman as "on the board" for consideration for an at-large bid. The Paladins are one of 25 teams listed outside the 68. Assuming the order he listed the teams is the distance each sits from a bid we are #13 away. Just behind Seton Hall, Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Xavier and just ahead of Providence, Southern Cal., Oklahoma State, and Baylor.
 #7350  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm
ESPN's Bracketology expert, Joe Lunardi, currently lists Furman as "on the board" for consideration for an at-large bid. The Paladins are one of 25 teams listed outside the 68. Assuming the order he listed the teams is the distance each sits from a bid we are #13 away. Just behind Seton Hall, Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Xavier and just ahead of Providence, Southern Cal., Oklahoma State, and Baylor.

For the at-large thing to happen we would need to be at worst 30-3, being 13-0 OOC and loses at UNCG and at Wofford, and lose to one of them in SoCon championship, pretty TALL task
 #7352  by Fessor
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:11 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
For the at-large thing to happen we would need to be at worst 30-3, being 13-0 OOC and loses at UNCG and at Wofford, and lose to one of them in SoCon championship, pretty TALL task
I think that's where playing the Bob Jones', North Greenville's, Meadowlark Lemons' Traveling All-Stars, and Taylors' YMCA Men's B finally comes home to roost.

Better win the tournament.
 #7353  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm
Fessor wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:11 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
I think that's where playing the Bob Jones', North Greenville's, Meadowlark Lemons' Traveling All-Stars, and Taylors' YMCA Men's B finally comes home to roost.

Better win the tournament.

True
 #7355  by din23
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:59 pm
din23 wrote:
affirm wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
That idea could apply to basketball. Could not apply to football where the discrepancy exists also. Yes to payouts from other schools like VPI, NCSU, Auburn, Michigan State, etc., but the “-for-1” is not a valid concept for such in football since none of those, nor any other FBS, is ever going to come play us in Greenville.
As I previously pointed out regarding football, in the 25 years 1999-2023, Furman will have had 30% fewer football games against USC/CU than Wofford will have had and 12.5% fewer than Citadel will have had.
Clearly no one thinks we're trying to get home football games with an FBS school. I believe that was clear.

For football, If we get significantly more money to play another Power 5 school other than SC or Clemson, it's a no-brainer.

The same applies to basketball.
FUKA61 liked this
 #7383  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 pm
Just wow. The diamond F sure looks pretty on that list. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it would be very expensive to get that kind of publicity otherwise.
dornb, bj93, FUKA61 and 2 others liked this
 #7386  by furpep
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 pm
Again, we can only wonder what the thoughts are of the "powers that be" here at Furman and how much national publicity we are getting from this sport. Remember when Gonzaga was a name nobody heard of, other than being the alma mater of Bing Crosby? Not saying that Furman is like Gonzaga, but having our name out there with the Big Boys of college basketball is wondrous for our branding and hopefully a bunch of new prospective students and their parents will be starting to take a look at Furman. And it can only help future basketball recruiting!
furpop16, dornb, FUKA61 and 2 others liked this
 #7390  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 pm
furpep wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 pm
... having our name out there with the Big Boys of college basketball is wondrous for our branding and hopefully a bunch of new prospective students and their parents will be starting to take a look at Furman. And it can only help future basketball recruiting!

I'd go further and say the value-proposition cross-pollinates. Having 'a bunch of new prospective students and their parents starting to take a look at Furman' will help future recruiting of all sports.
dornb, FUKA61, MNORM and 4 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.