• FU vs. ETSU (Semifinals March 4th 6:30pm)

#720  by The Truth
 Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm
This is going to be the most honest post many of you have ever read. I’ve read the boards for years but don’t comment... not worth it, but after reading Tim’s post I will - not that it deserves any amount of time, because it doesn’t.
Conference tournaments come down to 1 game... 1 game. These guys played their heart out for four years and I GUARANTEE they are way more crushed than any of us. Do you really think the coaches didn’t put their heart and soul into this?!?! Momentum is real... we had a bad night, they had a good night. It happens. It hurts. We can split hairs over the details of why etc and place blame and be downtrodden... it doesn’t help.
Now, this is the honest part. Many of you say... just recruit players like ETSU or fill in the blank team. We need length (try finding someone w length that can catch the ball - if you so they aren’t playing at a low-major school). Many ETSU players can’t get into Furman! We can’t take the transfers and kids (behavior wise) that are at ETSU and many of the other schools we play against. Those players are more talented and athletic than players at Furman a lot of times becauSe we can’t recruit those kids... plus it hard to take many transfers academically at Furman. ETSU gets them bc they can take kids with ‘baggage’. If they didn’t have baggage many would be at a power 5 school. Now, look at Mercer... they are ‘all in’ from a financial standpoint... Wofford, UNCG, the same. Bottom line is many want to get on here and complain about this and that and many don’t give the money it takes to stay competitive when other schools in the conference are committed when it comes to basketball. Wofford has a new arena. ETSU is paying their coach $600k. Furman has a record number of sports and tries to be good at everything. The schools that are most successful have the most money to be successful and/or pool resources for their top tier sports. That’s how the business works. Furman doesn’t have the money. Period. Furman invests in ALL sports to the detriment of sports that could make an impact nationally (from a visibility stand point). Investments in football, baseball, lacrosse... thats all great and Furman student athletes are amazing and deserve a great experience and support. But when you look at the business side of it, it isn’t feasible to be great at everything.
Now, hats off to the team and staff for all they’ve done on the floor and off in raising the awareness of the program and giving it everything they have! The university doesn’t have the money to compete with the Jones’. And if you say: “well, we’re furman, we should get the best of the best because of who we are...”, then get a grip ... Furman can’t take kids other schools can take so you have a smaller recruiting base to begin with... The last 5 years have been great and can continue to be great but you can only do so much with less. If Furman really wants to be good at basketball then more resources are needed or resources will have to be cut from somewhere else. Now, despite all these challenges (and don’t argue against any of it because it is the truth) you have to realize that the job they’re doing is excellent. And they’re doing it with great kids you’d want your grandkids to look up to. If you want to say Furman has made investments, etc, they have and it’s great. But, realize that it’s just brought the program up to par with others. It isn’t leaping Furman over other top conference programs. Moreover, much of the money has come from a very small group of donors and the buyout. Furman is not all in at all costs like etsu (and I wouldn’t want them to be)... and we don’t have a jerry richardson. End of post... the coaches and team have done a phenomenal job and should be commended. Negativity toward them is completely ridiculous and has no place.... however upset we may feel is so insignificant compared to the pain they have in their hearts right now.
FU03times, GOAT, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #721  by The Truth
 Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 pm
tim wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 pm
Before we sign the coach to an extension, it should be considered that when there is a huge game on the line, this team is capable of not just getting beat but stinking the arena up. We have seen it before. He seems to be a great recruiter but the guys weren't prepared tonight. We took a very experienced team that some thought would win the regular season and finished 3rd, a shade away from 4th. Teams who have good coaches don't look lost on the court.

Kick me off the board I don’t care, but Tim, you’re an idiot.
FU03times, GOAT, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #722  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 am
Paladawg wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm
Went to the contest with my son last night. Good win. Having sat through the first game between the two Tennessee representatives in the SoCon, I reached a conclusion about ETSU fans. They are to SoCon basketball today what Georgia Southern fans were to football in the late 90s and early 2000s. Loud and proud among a few other things. Furman folks need to turn out if possible. There will be a huge ETSU crowd there.

One other meaningless but amusing thing. My son bought a tournament t-shirt. Today, we realized that the official tournament t-shirt has the location of the tournament as "Ashville, NC." Would post a pic but can't seem to make it work.

Go Paladins!
Tourney is In Ashville , and conference office is in, where, Spartanburgh. Ha. By the way, that sentence is joking. For the 0.5% unenlightened, both cities are misspelled in that sentence.
FU69 liked this
 #724  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 am
Really proud of the team… and the seniors. Amazing men.

The future -- IMO -- we will be ok.

Furman will get some length added next season - 6-8 players; Gurley and Slawson. Gurley I hope will see plenty of action.

BR is bringing in two very impressive big guards… Bothwell and Taylor, I like Taylor but I really like Bothwell it wouldn't be surprising to see him make some noise as a true freshman.

This isn't rocket science - can Furman land a 2019/2020 version of John Moore or Clyde Mayes maybe - realistically BR - will have to develop players - coach them up - and I have faith we have the man for the job.
QCGlue, 76MrMoto, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #725  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 am
Some super dumb takes floating around on this thread.

Quick twitch players or not, Furman has played ETSU essentially to two draws this season. Clearly, we have the team that can play with them. The buckets didn't fall last night. That happens. It is unfortunate that it happened in a tournament game, but anyone is beatable on a cold shooting night.

As others have noted, ETSU's roster is primarily transfers. If taking every Tom, Dick, and Harry is the only way to win, I want none of it. Teams with that many transfers have to go back to the well every single season, develop few players of their own, and eventually produce players that have little connection to the university other than playing basketball there one year. No thanks.

Furman is on the right track. We are about to enter into what might be the most critical offseason in the last 30 years of the program.
Fessor, QCGlue, 76MrMoto and 4 others liked this
 #726  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 am
Really proud of the team… and the seniors. Amazing men.

The future -- IMO -- we will be ok.

Furman will get some length added next season - 6-8 players; Gurley and Slawson. Gurley I hope will see plenty of action.

BR is bringing in two very impressive big guards… Bothwell and Taylor, I like Taylor but I really like Bothwell it wouldn't be surprising to see him make some noise as a true freshman.

This isn't rocket science - can Furman land a 2019/2020 version of John Moore or Clyde Mayes maybe - realistically BR - will have to develop players - coach them up - and I have faith we have the man for the job.
Finding a mobile and athletic big man at a mid major program is difficult. Just like finding monster defensive tackles at the FCS level. There are not many such players, and those that are will often be scooped up by the big schools.

I agree though, one guy like that is program changing.
 #730  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am
So so proud of what these four guys did....People don't understand how bad the program had gotten before these four arrived...Croone, Acox, Ferrara and Wideman should also not be forgotten for their contributions to the re-emergence of Furman basketball...Honestly, I meet a lot of athletes around this league, and most all of them are great people, but by and large, the Furman student-athletes are the ones that ask how you are doing as a person instead of the other way around...They listen to advice and they genuinely care...It makes it hard for folks that report and try and be unbias...lol...But the fact you can't ignore is that these kids these coaches recruit are truly special...Like I feel like I could ask any of these four seniors for something or let's say I had a dead car battery or something, and they would help me out...They served, they listened and they're are just good good people...I don't want to cover big-time college athletics because of guys like these...Not saying that big-time programs don't have good people at all...not my point...What I am saying is, there's something pure about mid-major basketball and the SoCon...With all that has gone on in the news for big-time programs lately, it's refreshing to cover guys like this and a league like this...It's also hard when they lose, and that means you might not have a chance to cover them again as student-athletes...I hope Furman accepts a postseason appearance...These guys deserve to try for a 24th win and a school record.
FUFan, Chuckles, furpop16 and 3 others liked this
 #731  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 am
And for those that doubt coach Richey's decisions...We don't always agree with coaches' decisions right, but I am willing to give Richey the benefit of the doubt for some of the things that folks might question...It's important to take some time and cool off after the emotions of a game and consider the whole picture...As a person, coach Richey is amazing...I don't know all the internal turmoil these kids go through in their own personal lives and I don't need to unless they should want to volunteer that, but people need to trust the coaching staff and how they know the personalties and demeanor of each student-athletes more than any of us do, other than their families of course...For instance, I think the coaches' know far more about a kids psyche and a kids feelings going into a game than we do, and we then assume the kid is not playing because of ability...I think that ability is secondary to the emotional psyche of 18-22 year olds sometimes, although that's just my opinion and potentially I could be completely wrong, but at least that's what makes sense to me.
furpop16, FU03times, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #732  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am
My take from many of the homer comments I've seen on here is:
1) ETSU will always have better players than FU due to their ability to take in transfers/academically inferior students
2) Basketball budget is limited, so be happy with what you have; other SOCON schools all-in for basketball will attract better players as a result. But hey, at least we have a good young coach - how long will we keep him?
3) We can't pick up many long, quick players because they all play at higher level schools or they are academically inferior and/or prefer to attend ETSU or UNCG.
4) Our fan base is a bunch of old farts.
5) Students don't really care about FU Basketball - plus, it's too hard on them to walk 3/4 mile across campus
6) Our basketball facility is sub-par; who wants to play their whole career in Timmons when they can play in Wofford's facility?
7) Be happy with 3rd place and a 30-odd year absence from the NCAA tournament - it's never going to happen for the reasons stated above.
8) Be sympathetic to the players for the pain they're feeling - but most are getting a free ride - life's not that bad.
9) At least College of Charleston, Davidson, and App St. are no longer in SOCON. Could be worse.
10) Repeat with same excuses next year.
soconjohn, Monday, furpep and 2 others liked this
 #733  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am
I agree with most of what you're saying...I have a problem with the feelings part...This isn't a business for student-athletes or shouldn't be...This isn't the NBA...Coaches are asked to do more at the collegiate level than at the NBA level...Coaches in the NBA or professionally don't care about a kids well-being, while that is the most important thing, or should be, for any NCAA Division I, II or III head coach...That comes first...Then comes basketball.
 #735  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am
Last thing is...I am happy to say I believe this basketball program is headed in supremely the right direction...13 wins in two seasons compared to 46 and maybe more isn't even arguable...Those are facts...Those that believe that complaceny exists haven't been to as many Furman hoops games over the years...Not since the Butch Estes era has Furman been on this level...You cannot argue that.
FUFan, FU03times, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #736  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:36 am
And last thing is...Okay, I get it...ETSU has more of a tradition in hoops than Furman does...But is not Furman far more ahead of ETSU in every other sport, save maybe and I say a major maybe and women's tennis...Do you actually think there is a larger gap between Furman and ETSU in basketball or Furman and ETSU and football? Come on...Furman is light years more ahead in football than ETSU is ahead of Furman in hoops.
 #737  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:36 am
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am
I agree with most of what you're saying...I have a problem with the feelings part...This isn't a business for student-athletes or shouldn't be...This isn't the NBA...Coaches are asked to do more at the collegiate level than at the NBA level...Coaches in the NBA or professionally don't care about a kids well-being, while that is the most important thing, or should be, for any NCAA Division I, II or III head coach...That comes first...Then comes basketball.
I agree to an extent with what you're saying here. Kudos to the coaches that take a special interest in the growth of young men, but I think that role should be limited. You're there to coach, not be a friend. And in terms of academics/athletics, I think sometimes you have to take a chance on the higher-risk under qualified kid, even from a diversity standpoint. At a place like Furman, the reward could be greater than if you stick to the status quo model student athlete.
soconjohn, AllKnighter liked this
 #738  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am
My take from many of the homer comments I've seen on here is:
1) ETSU will always have better players than FU due to their ability to take in transfers/academically inferior students
2) Basketball budget is limited, so be happy with what you have; other SOCON schools all-in for basketball will attract better players as a result. But hey, at least we have a good young coach - how long will we keep him?
3) We can't pick up many long, quick players because they all play at higher level schools or they are academically inferior and/or prefer to attend ETSU or UNCG.
4) Our fan base is a bunch of old farts.
5) Students don't really care about FU Basketball - plus, it's too hard on them to walk 3/4 mile across campus
6) Our basketball facility is sub-par; who wants to play their whole career in Timmons when they can play in Wofford's facility?
7) Be happy with 3rd place and a 30-odd year absence from the NCAA tournament - it's never going to happen for the reasons stated above.
8) Be sympathetic to the players for the pain they're feeling - but most are getting a free ride - life's not that bad.
9) At least College of Charleston, Davidson, and App St. are no longer in SOCON. Could be worse.
10) Repeat with same excuses next year.
Oh good grief.
soconjohn, MNORM, FU69 and 1 others liked this