• Dick Sheridan has passed away.

#73117  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:37 pm
Coach Sheridan was an offensive assistant but honestly our true leader all four years I played. I remember talking with him walking on the field before we played an undefeated and really dirty UTC team. I told him i was nervous and he looked at me and said “ great- you will play better like that” . And I had a really good game and most importantly we won. He impacted all of us in such a positive way. What a great leader and coach. RIP Coach.
dornb, bj93, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #73126  by tim
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:53 am
Condolences to the family and special condolences to anyone who played for him who must be especially hurting right now. He made those young men.
dornb liked this
 #73129  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:39 am
Out of respect, someone should correct the spelling of Coach Sheridan’s name in the thread title. Thank you.
Agree. Not sure if 100 banks or 100 work hours (or maybe both) would be the penalty for that mental error, but Coach would be quite less-than-pleased with that imperfection - not because it’s his name, but because it represents Furman. That’s just the way he thought about things…ALL THINGS - there was no detail too small for imperfection not to catch his notice and correction.

Believe the originator of the thread can edit the title, but not sure. It may take an Admin. We can each edit it in our individual posts, as FUBeAR has done here.

FUBeAR ain’t tryna get Coach Sheridan mad at him…even from the other side. Been kinda hard to accept / process this news since yesterday. Working thru it.
bj93, dornb liked this
 #73145  by GOAT
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:40 pm
I was at Furman from 1980-1984. I did not play football but I went to all the home games and I enjoy watching football. I know we have had other successful coaches but to me Coach Sheridan was and is Furman football.
FUBeAR, bj93, Stumpy and 4 others liked this
 #73147  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:22 pm
This is such sad news. Furman was obviously tremendously blessed to have had Dick Sheridan as our head football coach. Those were the good old days. We have had many wonderful coaches at Furman. Coach Sheridan was among the most wonderful. We have many wonderful coaches at Furman right now. These are the good old days too.
Condolences to the family of Coach Sheridan and to all those Furman people who were fortunate to be directly impacted by him on a personal basis.
It seems that we are often in the presence of greatness and fail to realize it in the moment.
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUBeAR, GOAT, Roundball liked this
 #73151  by dornb
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:51 pm
The Greenville News:

greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2023/07/06/dick-sheridan-furman-coach-dies-nc-state/70389271007/
 #73159  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 pm
I was at Furman from '72-'76 and I didn't play football either, but I had some friends that were on the team. I went to almost every home game and a some of the road games too.

Every player that I knew always spoke highly of Coach Sheridan. What an outstanding individual. May he RIP.
 #73170  by gman84
 Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:44 am
GOAT wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:40 pm
I was at Furman from 1980-1984. I did not play football but I went to all the home games and I enjoy watching football. I know we have had other successful coaches but to me Coach Sheridan was and is Furman football.
My time as well GOAT. Several of my friends played for Coach Sheridan and they all said the same things. A man of exceptional detail and discipline. Demanded excellence in everything. Not somebody you wanted to cross. They all respected the heck out him!
Furman/ we, can’t thank Coach Sheridan enough!
I hope we plan a special day for Coach Sheridan this season.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.