• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#73009  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:28 pm
I figured I'd start a thread on the Owls as I was reading a bit about them.

KSU still has the same - and their only - head coach, Brian Bohannon.

However, they are brining on new offensive and defensive coordinators this season. Offensively, the Owls have traditionally been more of a three back option look, but the new coordinator looks like he's going to bring a Pistol/Read Option attack.

KSU is running pre-season interviews with coaches/players here: https://ksuowls.com/news/2022/11/21/foo ... -announced

One good bit of news for Furman is that that KSU will face off with Chattanooga the week prior to entertaining the Paladins, so I imagine we'll get a pretty good look at them on film.

I am also not completely over the absolute disaster of a game we played against them in 2016 - what I consider just about the lowest point of the program in recent memory. 35-0 in the second quarter and while we made a valiant comeback, it was about the ugliest football I can remember Furman ever playing.

I hope we send Kennesaw State off to the FBS the same way we sent off App State and Georgia Southern.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #73011  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:44 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:28 pm
I figured I'd start a thread on the Owls as I was reading a bit about them.

KSU still has the same - and their only - head coach, Brian Bohannon.

However, they are brining on new offensive and defensive coordinators this season. Offensively, the Owls have traditionally been more of a three back option look, but the new coordinator looks like he's going to bring a Pistol/Read Option attack.

KSU is running pre-season interviews with coaches/players here: https://ksuowls.com/news/2022/11/21/foo ... -announced

One good bit of news for Furman is that that KSU will face off with Chattanooga the week prior to entertaining the Paladins, so I imagine we'll get a pretty good look at them on film.

I am also not completely over the absolute disaster of a game we played against them in 2016 - what I consider just about the lowest point of the program in recent memory. 35-0 in the second quarter and while we made a valiant comeback, it was about the ugliest football I can remember Furman ever playing.

I hope we send Kennesaw State off to the FBS the same way we sent off App State and Georgia Southern.
Correct - and we need to COMMIT to a complete takeover of their fast-food-restaurant-looking POS Women’s Soccer stadium!!!

FUBeAR will be there - will be burning (in effigy) several Hooter’s Tank Tops & several Pairs of orange Dolphin shorts at his Tailgate. Ain’t gonna say how he acquired ’em.

Which other 8,299 FU Fans will be joining FUBeAR across from the GA Unemployment Office on Big Shanty Road?
 #73014  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:50 am
KSU has over 35,000 students which I assume are a lot commuter kids. Their jump to the FBS promised land has been less than eventful. In their 6 home games last season they failed to break 8,000 for any game. They had 3 home games well under 5,000, one under 4,000 and one barely 5k. Their future schedules has one fbs game: @Kent St. in 2026. Their new conference, Conference USA is a shambles of what it used to be which is now made up mostly of recent FCS teams so basically an FCS conference with the FBS name. 5 or 6 of those teams are brand new to FBS. You can see why the excitement at KSU is not very high.
 #73015  by HB88
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:47 am
Yeah, there stadium was designed as multipurpose and looks more like a MLS small market club with capacity of 8K.
 #73016  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:34 am
HB88 wrote:
Yeah, there stadium was designed as multipurpose and looks more like a MLS small market club with capacity of 8K.
Looks like a Burger Chef to FUBeAR - Just imagine it says "Order Here" instead of "Tickets." ... Am FUBeAR rite? :lol:

QCGlue liked this
 #73017  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:54 am
I expect that a Furman game in metro Atlanta will draw a big contingent of Furman supporters.

Just for the sake of comparison, when Furman played Georgia State in 2019, it was GSU's 2nd largest home crowd of the season (only behind their home game against Army).
 #73021  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
HB88 wrote:
Looks like a Burger Chef to FUBeAR - Just imagine it says "Order Here" instead of "Tickets." ... Am FUBeAR rite? :lol:

Am they sell beer?
 #73022  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:28 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
HB88 wrote:

Am they sell beer?
Not sure, but they have a salad bar…
 #73023  by Roundball
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:28 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
HB88 wrote:

Am they sell beer?
Not sure, but they have a salad bar…
That looks like the old Burger Chef on Wade Hampton Blvd. It now houses the Dixie Restaurant. By the way, the Dixie is good eating.
 #73034  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:46 pm
I attempted to look at Kennesaw's personnel, and left somewhat confounded.

They have a roster posted. https://ksuowls.com/sports/football/ros ... t=position. I think you then have to cross reference that roster with their 2023 signees, which is located elsewhere. https://ksuowls.com/sports/football/ros ... t=position

Even then, it's hard to get a flavor for what the Owls have. For instance:

- Their current roster lists only two WRs, one of which is the coach's son. They appeared to sign three in the 2023 class, but even for a historically option-based team, having only 5 WRs on the roster is pretty thin.

- As you might expect from a historically option-based run game, there are 14 players on the roster listed as "running back."

- Again, as you might expect, the offensive line favors the option game - linemen are a little shorter and on average more slender than you might ordinarily see.

- The Owls signed 6 offensive linemen, which included a few transfers, in the 2023. That might give you at least some insight into how they feel about that group going into 2023. One of the signees, Al Hogan, was a starter for Wofford the last few years.

- It appears outside of one 2023 signee, their biggest linebacker is 215 lbs.

- They signed a lot of defensive linemen in the 2023 class, including a number of transfers. Again, perhaps some indication of where they feel about that position group going into the season.

- Former Paladin Joshua Agbenou appears on the roster. Not entirely sure what happened to Agbenou, but from his KSU notes, he hasn't played since 2020.

Reading some of their fan forum stuff, it seems a lot of the Owl fans are expecting a type of rebuild/restart year - new OC, new DC, a 9 game schedule, and a transition to the FBS leads one to think they'll be looking to 2024 and use 2023 as almost a spring/COVID type season.
 #73040  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

They have a roster posted. https://ksuowls.com/sports/football/ros ... t=position. I think you then have to cross reference that roster with their 2023 signees, which is located elsewhere. https://ksuowls.com/sports/football/ros ... t=position

- Their current roster lists only two WRs, one of which is the coach's son. They appeared to sign three in the 2023 class, but even for a historically option-based team, having only 5 WRs on the roster is pretty thin.

- As you might expect from a historically option-based run game, there are 14 players on the roster listed as "running back."

- Again, as you might expect, the offensive line favors the option game - linemen are a little shorter and on average more slender than you might ordinarily see.

- The Owls signed 6 offensive linemen, which included a few transfers, in the 2023. That might give you at least some insight into how they feel about that group going into 2023. One of the signees, Al Hogan, was a starter for Wofford the last few years.

- They signed a lot of defensive linemen in the 2023 class, including a number of transfers. Again, perhaps some indication of where they feel about that position group going into the season.

- Former Paladin Joshua Agbenou appears on the roster. Not entirely sure what happened to Agbenou, but from his KSU notes, he hasn't played since 2020.

Reading some of their fan forum stuff, it seems a lot of the Owl fans are expecting a type of rebuild/restart year - new OC, new DC, a 9 game schedule, and a transition to the FBS leads one to think they'll be looking to 2024 and use 2023 as almost a spring/COVID type season.
Yeah - that's the 94 what they gots on theys roster right now. Sure there will be a few tweaks, but they aren't gonna 'cut' 30 that went thru Spring and bring in 30 from some place unknown....don't know how they could/would do that.

Coupla things FUBeAR noticed....

Star QB (who ‘ran hot & cold’ last year), Xavier Shepherd, hit the portal ... and is still available
Other QB - who picked up when Shepherd was faltering & had been their starter previously, Jonathan Murphy, is still on the roster

Both of those guys were option guys....heavy duty option guys...KSU fans thought Shepherd was a Passer...he wasn't.
They have 7 other QB's on the roster. 1 is another of Coach Bohannon's sons (6-1 180) and they brought in 3 new ones. Don't know anything about them, but none of them are gonna awe their opponents when they get off the bus. New ones average 6-0 188 and they 6-0 182 overall at the QB spot. Just tells FUBeAR, they may 'hybrid' their way thru this season as they transition away from Double Wang option. We saw how well that worked for Woffy. They'll be doing some form of pistol, with a lot of QB running / zone-read and TRY to develop some semblance of quick game passing....FUBeAR would expect. Maybe the owlets will have more success with stronger leadership in their 'executive office.'

13 'Old' OLmen avg 6-2 268
6 'New' OLmen avg 6-3 301
So...they're preparing to go away from their option...obviously, but likely won't have any NFL 1st round Left Tackle draft picks in the 2024 draft.

11 'Old' and 7 'New' DLmen 'sets' both average 6-2 260 - don't have them split out by inside / outside - so difficult to tell, but they seem pretty small and were unable, for whatever reason, to get much bigger up front on D.

They're OK-sized at LB...6-1 204 for the 7 'old' ones and 6-0 215 for the 3 'new' ones...6-0 208 overall. If you look @ FU's LB's (including "Spurs," but not "Bandits")....we average 6-1 215 ... they (LB's) are all mostly basketball players now anyway...except the guys who put their hands on the ground...and the guys who do that, but are now being called "Edge" players these days could probably be fine going out there in tank tops and their Chuck Taylor's also.

You're right about having few WR numbers....and heavy on RB's...but they have 5 RB's @ 175 pounds or less ... would imagine those small cats will be hybrid-type retrievers in whatever hybrid-type Offense the owlets are gonna try to play with in 2023.

Back to the RB's - their 2nd leading Rusher last year (behind the Transferred out QB) is a 255 bruiser - he's back. He had close to 10 attempts/game last year, so he can handle more of the load than that...one would think. If we count QB Murphy as a RB (which he might become in the 'transitional' KSU Offense), they have 7 of their top 10 rushers returning and those 7 combined for 42 attempts/game and about 200 yds rushing.

Best thing going for us, as has been mentioned, they'll need to show the Mocs what they got the week before we step up to the Order Here window at the Burger Chef off Big Shanty Road.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #73041  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

Yeah - that's the 94 what they gots on theys roster right now. Sure there will be a few tweaks, but they aren't gonna 'cut' 30 that went thru Spring and bring in 30 from some place unknown....don't know how they could/would do that.

Coupla things FUBeAR noticed....

Star QB (who ‘ran hot & cold’ last year), Xavier Shepherd, hit the portal ... and is still available
Other QB - who picked up when Shepherd was faltering & had been their starter previously, Jonathan Murphy, is still on the roster

Both of those guys were option guys....heavy duty option guys...KSU fans thought Shepherd was a Passer...he wasn't.
They have 7 other QB's on the roster. 1 is another of Coach Bohannon's sons (6-1 180) and they brought in 3 new ones. Don't know anything about them, but none of them are gonna awe their opponents when they get off the bus. New ones average 6-0 188 and they 6-0 182 overall at the QB spot. Just tells FUBeAR, they may 'hybrid' their way thru this season as they transition away from Double Wang option. We saw how well that worked for Woffy. They'll be doing some form of pistol, with a lot of QB running / zone-read and TRY to develop some semblance of quick game passing....FUBeAR would expect. Maybe the owlets will have more success with stronger leadership in their 'executive office.'

13 'Old' OLmen avg 6-2 268
6 'New' OLmen avg 6-3 301
So...they're preparing to go away from their option...obviously, but likely won't have any NFL 1st round Left Tackle draft picks in the 2024 draft.

11 'Old' and 7 'New' DLmen 'sets' both average 6-2 260 - don't have them split out by inside / outside - so difficult to tell, but they seem pretty small and were unable, for whatever reason, to get much bigger up front on D.

They're OK-sized at LB...6-1 204 for the 7 'old' ones and 6-0 215 for the 3 'new' ones...6-0 208 overall. If you look @ FU's LB's (including "Spurs," but not "Bandits")....we average 6-1 215 ... they (LB's) are all mostly basketball players now anyway...except the guys who put their hands on the ground...and the guys who do that, but are now being called "Edge" players these days could probably be fine going out there in tank tops and their Chuck Taylor's also.

You're right about having few WR numbers....and heavy on RB's...but they have 5 RB's @ 175 pounds or less ... would imagine those small cats will be hybrid-type retrievers in whatever hybrid-type Offense the owlets are gonna try to play with in 2023.

Back to the RB's - their 2nd leading Rusher last year (behind the Transferred out QB) is a 255 bruiser - he's back. He had close to 10 attempts/game last year, so he can handle more of the load than that...one would think. If we count QB Murphy as a RB (which he might become in the 'transitional' KSU Offense), they have 7 of their top 10 rushers returning and those 7 combined for 42 attempts/game and about 200 yds rushing.

Best thing going for us, as has been mentioned, they'll need to show the Mocs what they got the week before we step up to the Order Here window at the Burger Chef off Big Shanty Road.
Here ya go...this guy can tell you all about what KSU is gonna do on Offense. Prolly smarter than FUBeAR and surely WAY smarter than Jackal!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #73043  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:43 am
I watched Klenack's interview. Sounds like they are going to settle on some sort of hybrid pistol attack. He notes "there's a lot of layers" to the offense "but we haven't built many of them yet."

I agree that we'll probably see something akin to what Wofford tried to do the last two years - move away from the option to a more modern offense but end up without really the personnel to do either thing well. Wofford basically turned into a one-dimensional outside zone run offense.
 #73051  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:43 am
I watched Klenack's interview. Sounds like they are going to settle on some sort of hybrid pistol attack. He notes "there's a lot of layers" to the offense "but we haven't built many of them yet."

I agree that we'll probably see something akin to what Wofford tried to do the last two years - move away from the option to a more modern offense but end up without really the personnel to do either thing well. Wofford basically turned into a one-dimensional outside zone run offense.
IiRC they came out against us and threw about every down. Worked for a while. They threw 43 times for over 400 yds.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.