#7218  by fufanatic
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 am
We open with Chas Southern on 8/31
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

I also know we have tried to get a 12th game. We were very close with a low level FCS program the would be the equivalent of a D2 and it fell through. Some other geographically "sensible" alternatives were non-responsive after multiple attempts to contact. One said flat out "no". So if we don't have a 12th next year, which seems likely, it's not for a lack of trying.
I believe you. Just seems remarkable that of all the FCS teams in the SE, not one lines up with whatever opening we have AND wants to schedule a game. I guess that means we will have two bye weeks next year if a game isn't found. Maybe we can pick up a late game if something gets cancelled due to weather or something else.
 #7226  by MNORM
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:41 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

I also know we have tried to get a 12th game. We were very close with a low level FCS program the would be the equivalent of a D2 and it fell through. Some other geographically "sensible" alternatives were non-responsive after multiple attempts to contact. One said flat out "no". So if we don't have a 12th next year, which seems likely, it's not for a lack of trying.
I believe you. Just seems remarkable that of all the FCS teams in the SE, not one lines up with whatever opening we have AND wants to schedule a game. I guess that means we will have two bye weeks next year if a game isn't found. Maybe we can pick up a late game if something gets cancelled due to weather or something else.
Am I the only person who thinks it's a little embarrassing that we can't find a school to play us next year so we can have a full 12 game season? It's not like we're some non-scholarship start-up program. I can't recall having this issue in the past. I realize that KSU had to reschedule, but we've had a lot of time to get this taken care of.
I'd love to know why Savannah State didn't want to play us. Are we not willing to pay enough to have lower level FCS team travel to Greenville? Could it be that we're not able to offer a home-&-home due to our future scheduling commitments?
din23 and 1 others liked this
 #7228  by fufanatic
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 pm
MNORM wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

Am I the only person who thinks it's a little embarrassing that we can't find a school to play us next year so we can have a full 12 game season? It's not like we're some non-scholarship start-up program. I can't recall having this issue in the past. I realize that KSU had to reschedule, but we've had a lot of time to get this taken care of.
I'd love to know why Savannah State didn't want to play us. Are we not willing to pay enough to have lower level FCS team travel to Greenville? Could it be that we're not able to offer a home-&-home due to our future scheduling commitments?
Great questions that we will probably only find out the answer to if those in the know are willing to share.
 #7240  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 pm
MNORM wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

Your not the only one

I am kinda PEEVED At this too. Check Anygivensaturday.com. I have a thread running asking about other teams schedules. Why are we one of only TWO or THREE teams in the freakin country that can't figure this out?????

Here's the deal. Most everyone responded that their team has either 11 games but only ONE FBS. Or if TWO FBS they have 12 games scheduled. I.E., all but 3,teams ( Furman being one) have 10 FCS games. (Maybe a D2 here and there). Only THREE FCS teams in the COUNTRY have only NINE FCS games and we are one of them.

Can't we get PC or someone ?? Campbell? Why are schools telling us 'No'????

I worry after last year we go 7-4 and Incarnate Word goes 8-4 and well, you know what happens. !!! The CAA will get seventeen teams in playoffs. I have NO FAITH in our committee. NONE.

People will say - "just win the conference." We did that this year. Why shouldn't we get the same shot as everyone else? To win conference OR get an at-large. That's what everyone else has. I am torqued after this year

The only positive I see is we have CSU as OOC next year and Citadel just killed em. PaulC said they are our first game. Let's get an early win next year !
 #7241  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:23 am
gofurman wrote:
MNORM wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

Your not the only one

I am kinda PEEVED At this too. Check Anygivensaturday.com. I have a thread running asking about other teams schedules. Why are we one of only TWO or THREE teams in the freakin country that can't figure this out?????

Here's the deal. Most everyone responded that their team has either 11 games but only ONE FBS. Or if TWO FBS they have 12 games scheduled. I.E., all but 3,teams ( Furman being one) have 10 FCS games. (Maybe a D2 here and there). Only THREE FCS teams in the COUNTRY have only NINE FCS games and we are one of them.

Can't we get PC or someone ?? Campbell? Why are schools telling us 'No'????

I worry after last year we go 7-4 and Incarnate Word goes 8-4 and well, you know what happens. !!! The CAA will get seventeen teams in playoffs. I have NO FAITH in our committee. NONE.

People will say - "just win the conference." We did that this year. Why shouldn't we get the same shot as everyone else? To win conference OR get an at-large. That's what everyone else has. I am torqued after this year

The only positive I see is we have CSU as OOC next year and Citadel just killed em. PaulC said they are our first game. Let's get an early win next year !
I agree with gofurman about the complete unacceptability of the scheduling situation (that we cannot get a 12th game). He mentioned PC and Campbell. I cannot believe that neither of those and none of the many others cannot agree or will not agree to play us. (I have already pointed out earlier this week on a basketball thread how it appears that a certain other FCS school in the state has much better success than we do in getting both basketball games and football games with big FBS schools than we do.)
 #7247  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm
I agree with you on the basketball scheduling but not on the FBS games. We have better FBS games than they do past and future.
 #7249  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:35 pm
If we wind up with only 11 games and we get another Hurricane and miss a game we will only play 10, what a disaster that would be lol
 #7256  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
I agree with you on the basketball scheduling but not on the FBS games. We have better FBS games than they do past and future.
Better FBS games in terms of variety? Yes, maybe. However, my point about that was that we have about 30% fewer games against our big 2 in-state schools over an extended period of years.
 #7257  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Better FBS games in terms of variety? Yes, maybe. However, my point about that was that we have about 30% fewer games against our big 2 in-state schools over an extended period of years.
IMHO I like playing Clempson because they are fair. SC pays far less. Don't care if we play SC anymore unless they up the pay. We played Clempson this year and twice more in the next 6 years which is good.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.