No doubt, give me these 6 all day over Sorrells

1) Martin
2) Napier
3) Forcier
4) Huff
5) Blazejowski
6) Hannon
[/quote]

Big fan of the (one hit) Oneders, aren't you?

Huff (so far), PJ, and Forcier are (really) 1 year guys - 2022, 2017, 2011, respectively. (FUBeAR knows they played (or will/should in Huff's case) some in other years. 1 Season - unless it's a BIG, BIG season for the Team (and they were not - definitely 2011 was not - 2017 and 2022 were a lot closer to being BIG) is just not enough for FUBeAR to put anyone on his list of Top QB's. That said, Hannon, probably deserves another look by FUBeAR.

FUBeAR fully expects Huff to take over #1 on this list - no less than #2 - by the end of 2023...so, if we can agree on Napier at #3 (FUBeAR could let Sorrells slide down a spot)...then we can end this convo.
[/quote]

This is not a competition of playing time, its easy to get plenty of PT when your dad is the OC. Put on the same talent team i'll take the more talented QB's over him and expect to win more games. I would also put Gray at #7 over Sorrells so yeah he lands about #8 on my list, just being honest.
 #72359  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:33 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:22 pm
its easy to get plenty of PT when your dad is the OC.
…hope those scars heal over for you someday, so you can be objective about the issue.
 #72360  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
…hope those scars heal over for you someday, so you can be objective about the issue.

Could have been a playoff team in 2009 with Forcier, just a shame really................
 #72364  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:48 pm
I think Martin is in a class to himself. 5700+ yards passing in two years, 42 touchdowns.

I was surprised at some of the numbers, though. According to the record books, the two best seasons by a Furman offensive player in terms of total yardage came in 2004 and 2005. Martin's 25 TDs in both years are also top marks for a season.

Ingle Martin (2005) - 3,193 total yards, 234 rushing, 2,959 passing, 25 TDs
Ingle Martin (2004) - 3,084 total yards, 292 rushing, 3,084 passing, 25 TDs

But Huff's 2022 season wasn't far off:

Tyler Huff (2022) - 2,893 total yards, 694 rushing, 2,199 passing, 23 TDs*

*Huff missed a full game and three quarters of another one with an injury. Hypothetically, had Huff not been injured and just replicated what Jace Wilson was able to do in relief against Samford and Charleston Southern (525 total yards and 6 TDs), he would have surpassed Ingle Martin's '04 and '05 seasons for arguably the best season ever by a Furman QB.
hypercycloid, AstroDin liked this
 #72369  by paladinfan12
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:49 pm
I was at Furman with both Forcier and Sorrells - and I didn't realize how good we had it with either of them! Really never felt like the offense was ever as potent until this past season.

Forcier was more talented and was probably "better" if you were to ask most scouts. Sorrells accomplished more and had a much larger impact on the program.

Both were great.
FUBeAR liked this
 #72370  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:53 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Could have been a playoff team in 2009 with Forcier, just a shame really................
So…FUBeAR was pretty focused on the HS Team he was coaching to the Playoffs in GA in 2009, so FUBeAR wasn’t watching every FU game….but J Sorrells 2009 passer rating of 137.22 was in the Top 20 of All-Time, and he’s a Sr., and your prior year starter…who is showing improvement as the Paladins win the 1st 3 games … that they are supposed to win.

FU wasn’t going to beat Missouri (52-12) with Tom Brady at QB.

Then, you lose a nail-biter to a very good Elon Team that had just beaten GaSou the week before…and goes on to be a 9-2 (FCS) Playoff Team. Your QB throws for over 200 yards and doesn’t turn the ball over. You gonna bench him after that game? Not many Head Coaches would even think about it - don’t matter who his Momma is sleeping with.

Well…he wasn’t benched and he goes 21-28 for 200+ yards and 3 TD’s / 0 INT’s the following week. Ain’t gonna bench him now, are you? You’re 4-1 in games you should be competitive in with your only FCS loss a nail-biter to an undefeated in FCS Team.

OK - down to Charleston - rivalry game / tough place to play. Tough loss. Your QB goes 27-42 with 3 TD’s…but he has 2 picks. That’s a 128.33 rating - not bad, not where he needs to be though. Man, those picks hurt, but the D gave up 38 points, almost 300 yards rushing, almost 500 yards total, and almost 30 1st downs…including giving up 83% on 3rd down conversions. You got over 400 yards of O and scored 28.

Bench your QB cuz he threw a couple of picks (against 3 TD’s) or fire your DC. FUBeAR knows where he would be lookin’.

But let’s think about it. We’re 4-2/3-2 (FCS) and we have an outstanding (finished 11-3/8-0; lost in the FCS Semi’s) Appy Team coming in to Paladin Stadium. Change it up. Bench my veteran QB? He did throw 2 picks. No. You don’t do that. Not then. No Coach would. But Appy blows you out - like they did most Teams before they played FU…and after. It’s 21-0 PDQ. Your QB throws another 2 TD’s, but also a pick…but his Passer Rating is 167.41. Honestly, you weren’t much closer to beating Appy than you were to Mizzou. Maybe Brady could have kept it closer…but doubtful.

Well…look here…we have Auburn up next. Mr. Brady…you busy this Saturday? Doesn’t matter.

Stay with your Sr. QB. Beat 2 rivals - GaSou & Woffy - to finish the season.

Finish 6-5/5-3. We’re not going to beat Auburn, Mizzou, or Appy. Beat Elon and/or CIT and probably would have made the Playoffs. But…you had no reason, honestly, to even think about benching your veteran Starting QB before those 2 games. No Coach would have.

If Forcier had played QB in those 2 games instead of Sorrells, would FU have won? Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll never know, but the Coaches were not wrong with the decisions they made and there was no shame about it.
 #72371  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
So…FUBeAR was pretty focused on the HS Team he was coaching to the Playoffs in GA in 2009, so FUBeAR wasn’t watching every FU game….but J Sorrells 2009 passer rating of 137.22 was in the Top 20 of All-Time, and he’s a Sr., and your prior year starter…who is showing improvement as the Paladins win the 1st 3 games … that they are supposed to win.

Then, you lose a nail-biter to a very good Elon Team that had just beaten GaSou the week before…and goes on to be a 9-2 (FCS) Playoff Team. Your QB throws for over 200 yards and doesn’t turn the ball over. You gonna bench him after that game? Not many Head Coaches would even think about it - don’t matter who his Momma is sleeping with.

Well…he wasn’t benched and he goes 21-28 for 200+ yards and 3 TD’s / 0 INT’s the following week. Ain’t gonna bench him now, are you? You’re 4-1 in games you should be competitive in with your only FCS loss a nail-biter to an undefeated in FCS Team.

OK - down to Charleston - rivalry game / tough place to play. Tough loss. Your QB goes 27-42 with 3 TD’s…but he has 2 picks. That’s a 128.33 rating - not bad, not where he needs to be though. Man, those picks hurt, but the D gave up 38 points, almost 300 yards rushing, almost 500 yards total, and almost 30 1st downs…including giving up 83% on 3rd down conversions. You got over 400 yards of O and scored 28.

Bench your QB cuz he threw a couple of picks (against 3 TD’s) or fire your DC. FUBeAR knows where he would be lookin’.

But let’s think about it. We’re 4-2/3-2 (FCS) and we have an outstanding (finished 11-3/8-0; lost in the FCS Semi’s) Appy Team coming in to Paladin Stadium. Change it up. Bench my veteran QB? He did throw 2 picks. No. You don’t do that. Not then. No Coach would. But Appy blows you out - like they did most Teams before they played FU…and after. It’s 21-0 PDQ. Your QB throws another 2 TD’s, but also a pick…but his Passer Rating is 167.41. Honestly, you weren’t much closer to beating Appy than you were to Mizzou. Maybe Brady could have kept it closer…but doubtful.

Well…look here…we have Auburn up next. Mr. Brady…you busy this Saturday? Doesn’t matter.

Finish 6-5/5-3. We’re not going to beat Auburn, Mizzou, or Appy. Beat Elon and/or CIT and probably would have made the Playoffs. But…you had no reason, honestly, to even think about benching your veteran Starting QB before those 2 games. No Coach would have.

If Forcier had played QB in those 2 games instead of Sorrells, would FU have won? Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll never know, but the Coaches were not wrong with the decisions they made and there was no shame about it.

Forcier should have started from day 1
apaladin liked this
 #72373  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:48 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

So…I’m going to bench my Sr QB, my last year’s Starter, who knows my offense like the back of his hand…the guy who has sweated and bled with his Teammates for 3 years…and, from Day 1…3 weeks before my 1st game; put my season into the hands of a QB dude (who has shown a bit of a penchant for being, um, unique … or as Deadspin called him, “batsh*t loony” … https://deadspin.com/ucla-qb-announces- ... se-5286399) who has gone 3-11 for 27 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT (a Passing Rating of 59.71) as a QB in college, whose last Coach ‘fired’ him as a QB, and moved him to WR, where he practiced all spring prior to showing up in TR in August?

That’s the decision you think Furman’s Coaches should have made?

What was that term …. “batpoop loony” - yep - if you think that’s what they should have done or that’s what you would have done in their shoes …you just might be … “batpoop loony”
 #72377  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

So…I’m going to bench my Sr QB, my last year’s Starter, who knows my offense like the back of his hand…the guy who has sweated and bled with his Teammates for 3 years…and, from Day 1…3 weeks before my 1st game; put my season into the hands of a QB dude (who has shown a bit of a penchant for being, um, unique … or as Deadspin called him, “batsh*t loony” … https://deadspin.com/ucla-qb-announces- ... se-5286399) who has gone 3-11 for 27 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT (a Passing Rating of 59.71) as a QB in college, whose last Coach ‘fired’ him as a QB, and moved him to WR, where he practiced all spring prior to showing up in TR in August?

What was that term …. “batpoop loony” - yep - if you think that’s what they should have done or that’s what you would have done in their shoes …you just might be … “batpoop loony”

'Batpoop loony' is what I call someone who overrates FU's #8 QB this century to being T2 with Napier :lol:

#72378  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:18 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

'Batpoop loony' is what I call someone who overrates FU's #8 QB this century to being T2 with Napier
And, we’re back to facts not mattering…

Jordan Sorrells....
Career Attempts - #2 All-Time, #2 this century
Career Completions - #2 All-Time, #2 this century
Career Passing Yards - #2 All-Time, #2 this century
Career TD's - #1T All-Time, #1T this century
Career Completion % - #3 All-Time, #3 this century
Career Rating #10 All-Time, #5 this century
 #72382  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 am
After careful review, the top 8 FU QB's this century I would want on my team, give me talent over stat padding all day long:

1) Martin
2) Napier
3) Forcier
4) Huff
5) Blazejowski
6) Hannon
7) Gray
8) Roberts
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #72386  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 am
After careful review, the top 8 FU QB's this century I would want on my team, give me talent over stat padding all day long:

1) Martin
2) Napier
3) Forcier
4) Huff
5) Blazejowski
6) Hannon
7) Gray
8) Roberts
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72389  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:25 am
Just my two cents:

Sorrells' tenure holds a conflicting place in my psyche. He was obviously talented, but I felt like he was the forefront of Furman's descent into the maelstrom during the latter part of the Lamb years. Hannon suffers a similar fate in my mind as the primary QB during Fowler's tenure.

From 2008 through the Fowler era, I felt our recruiting slipped significantly. We lacked an identity on offense. With the exception of a few shining stars, we lacked a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The team went from one of the subdivision's top teams to a bad to mediocre program.

Both Sorrells and Hannon were excellent QBs, but I never could understand what we were doing offensively during that time. I think Furman started to modify its offensive approach to fit Sorrells' skill set, which was more of a passer/game manager than a true dual threat QB that Furman has so long relied on.

I do not believe it is any small coincidence that Furman's slide to mediocrity roughly coincided with Hendrix's time at Air Force.
 #72397  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:25 am
Just my two cents:

Sorrells' tenure holds a conflicting place in my psyche. He was obviously talented, but I felt like he was the forefront of Furman's descent into the maelstrom during the latter part of the Lamb years. Hannon suffers a similar fate in my mind as the primary QB during Fowler's tenure.

From 2008 through the Fowler era, I felt our recruiting slipped significantly. We lacked an identity on offense. With the exception of a few shining stars, we lacked a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The team went from one of the subdivision's top teams to a bad to mediocre program.

Both Sorrells and Hannon were excellent QBs, but I never could understand what we were doing offensively during that time. I think Furman started to modify its offensive approach to fit Sorrells' skill set, which was more of a passer/game manager than a true dual threat QB that Furman has so long relied on.

I do not believe it is any small coincidence that Furman's slide to mediocrity roughly coincided with Hendrix's time at Air Force.
My feelings exactly. With JS we were running a spread offense with a pro style QB. Forcier excelled in that when he stepped in. Same thing with Blaze. When the new offense took over he looked incredible. I’m just glad we’ve been running the correct offense for Huff from day 1.
 #72404  by Thorny
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:21 pm
I think Forcier was a better QB then Sorrells his Senior season BUT only his senior season.

I know that whether Forcier was the better QB his sophomore year will always be contested. However, prior to his injury his Junior year he looked like he was in the process of losing the starting job to Worley who strangely enough is not in the conversation of top 5 Furman QBs of all time.

Do I think that level of play was always in Forcier? Yes. However, Lamb and Sorrels couldn't figure out a way to bring it out of him or put together a workable offense. For Lamb and Sorrels, Sorrels was the better QB despite Forcier's upside.

I would have loved to see Forcier as a Sophomore in the offense he played in as a Senior but my gut says Sorrels WAS the better QB at that point.
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.