• 12:30

#7214  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 am
I saw very little that blew me away yesterday. I can't help but feel if we had gotten in we would have reached the next round… again.

Wofford beating Elon… should help a lot next year with the CAA deserves so much respect talk. Also, The Citadel needs to beat Towson in Chuck Town.

The teams I would have loved to see the DINS play are UNI and JaxSt. I didn't realize that UIW was an air-raid team. After watching Hodges at Samford — no comparison.
To be fair. UIW was without their starting QB.

This CAA debacle - 6 teams in... Went 1-4 - helps for next year. Should make the committee hold to 4 /5 CAA next year. Free up a spot hopefully

Hate Wofford but will pull for them to win one more. Make SoCon look good. And we beat them by TWENTY
 #7234  by soconjohn
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm
Looking back, Buddie should raise hell about it...He has a right to...Furman was blatantly discriminated against and it's not even arguable otherwise...Won 6 of last 7....Towson lost 4 of last 5...Not to mention Elon was given more a break for injuries at QB than FU was...Furman did have a win over #4, yet weren't on the bubble and Monmouth was...Give me a damn break...I am sorry but this is a blatant hack job.
furman88, AstroDin, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #7235  by soconjohn
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 pm
Also go back and look at the 6-win teams that got in over Furman....were any of those teams conference champions from a higher ranked league in terms of strength....I am done here.
dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #7236  by soconjohn
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 pm
And adding to it...If I were Buddie, I would call out the chair and the rep to league for playoff consideration for such a blatant oversight or just plain dislike...A problem exists here...Non scholarship programs are getting in over Furman or being considered at least...Do you know what FU would do to Monmouth on a football field...or let's consider Colgate...Watch they will absolutely drilled this weekend at home by JMU...drilled like FU drilled em last year...I am tired of this CAA crap...that conference sucks...Furman and the SoCon need to threaten to move to G5 FBS!!! I am serious!
 #7237  by soconjohn
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:04 pm
And as much as I want FU to be in the postseason...Think about the Jaylan Reids, Harris Roberts, Aaquil Annors and Keiland Dirks this hurts me for...At the end of the day, it's guys like that that keep this argument alive and doesn't sit with me well at all...Such great people who stayed the course and deserved to play another game!!!
 #7238  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 pm
Indeed, the selection corruption of the UCA AD (committee head) and others is truly mind boggling
 #7242  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am
It's easy to point to the ETSU game or the second half vs. Samford without Roberts, but honestly if we had just kept it close at Elon, that might have been enough to get us in. But 45-7 sure sticks out like a sore thumb, and you know there was no work on the committee's part to see we didn't have our QB and that that Elon team was farrrrr different than the Elon team that struggled down the stretch with all its best players injured.
dornb, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #7246  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:01 pm
fufanatic wrote:
It's easy to point to the ETSU game or the second half vs. Samford without Roberts, but honestly if we had just kept it close at Elon, that might have been enough to get us in. But 45-7 sure sticks out like a sore thumb, and you know there was no work on the committee's part to see we didn't have our QB and that that Elon team was farrrrr different than the Elon team that struggled down the stretch with all its best players injured.
Nothing would have mattered to these bozos. The UCA AD was getting 3 Southland teams in regardless. It is very arguable that they did not take the best 2 from the SoCon. How can a team from the CAA get in after losing 4 of their last 5?
 #7248  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:01 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Nothing would have mattered to these bozos. The UCA AD was getting 3 Southland teams in regardless. It is very arguable that they did not take the best 2 from the SoCon. How can a team from the CAA get in after losing 4 of their last 5?

Not only that but on top of getting 2 extra southland teams in that did not deserve to be in he also gave Nich. St. a gimme game at home against non-scholarship San Diego, these things are not a coincidence, that guy is a joke
 #7322  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:51 am
Looking around the country at yesterday's games, I don't think Furman is that far away from really contending nationally.

North Dakota State is still the bell cow, but I think Furman at their best is as good as any other team in the postseason. Another strong recruiting class and some consistency at QB, and I think you'll start seeing the Paladins become a serious national player.
dornb, FUpaladin08, FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #7326  by AstroDin
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Looking around the country at yesterday's games, I don't think Furman is that far away from really contending nationally.

North Dakota State is still the bell cow, but I think Furman at their best is as good as any other team in the postseason. Another strong recruiting class and some consistency at QB, and I think you'll start seeing the Paladins become a serious national player.
Watched bits and pieces of Wofford/KSU, Colgate/JMU, NDSU/MSU, and Maine/JSU. To be honest I was most impressed by Maine.

To Jackal's point what HCCH is building a multiple based offense and a fast aggressive defense, is what it will take for Furman to become a national player again. You have to be able to run and pass to get to the quarterfinals and beyond.
dornb, FUKA61 liked this
 #7358  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am
The Jackal wrote:

Watched bits and pieces of Wofford/KSU, Colgate/JMU, NDSU/MSU, and Maine/JSU. To be honest I was most impressed by Maine.

To Jackal's point what HCCH is building a multiple based offense and a fast aggressive defense, is what it will take for Furman to become a national player again. You have to be able to run and pass to get to the quarterfinals and beyond.
Agree. I know Furman and especially GSU didn't throw much in 80s and DOMINATED but I am not sure you can do that now. Especially with too many DAM scholarship programs in southeast. ( Side note - be nice if about 5 programs would just drop football. I HATE seeing a guy choose from Furman and Wofford and Elon and KSU. All those guys were all ours 20 years ago because those programs didn't exist or were D2 )

So with the spread of quality players to more programs I don't know that you can get beyond quarterfinals / maybe semifinals as pure option.

I think our offense is great. It's a lot like NDSU in some aspects. I like run v pass 70/30 or so
 #7369  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 am
Bear can speak in far more detail about the Furman teams of the 80s… but I had a little deja vu Saturday.
I went to the Carolina/Akron game and sat very close to the seat location when Furman beat South Carolina in '82.

I posted a picture on Instagram and several of my buddies that were at that game with me reached out reminiscing about the 1982 game.

Things I do remember David Charpia was the quarterback, and Furman had a wicked one-two punch at tailback Stanford Jennings and Robbie Gardner.

You could not sleep on Furman's passing game back then… I believe the two tight-ends were Jack Borders and Steve Coppinger (sp) and I think Billy Risher and Dennis Wright were receivers.

The ability to pass and run — with balanced multiple offenses is what separates Furman historically from say, Wofford. I would never say this on the AGS board — thanks to some FU posters we're now being labeled the whiners of FCS football. I think Furman healthy takes KSU in that playoff matchup. I think Furman's balance and schemes would have given them fits.

In two years — what Clay has been able to build is impressive. From 2014 to 2016 Furman won 10 games and lost 24. In the last two years, Furman has won 14 and lost 9 add a playoff win and a SoCon championship.

Furman has accomplished this with a small group of senior leadership and a huge group of young players often moving to unfamiliar positions.

I think Clay is building a team that will start to continually content for SoCon championships. We learned this year that the only guarantee of a playoff berth is to auto-qualify.
FUKA61, DeepPurple, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #7384  by fufanatic
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 pm
I would agree that we could have competed with a lot of teams in this year's playoffs. Unfortunately we didn't get that chance, and who knows what our path would have been if we had. As much as I disdain Wofford, them losing Saturday adds to the poor perception of the SoCon nationally. They were the underdog for sure, but now both SoCon teams are eliminated before the quarterfinals. We need teams to step up big for the conference to get it's respect back. I think it has to be Furman, but I'm hopeful that ETSU can continue to be good. If Wofford adds more passing to its offense, maybe it can take that next step. Not sure about the rest of the conference.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.