• Preseason Top 25

#72259  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:41 pm
These polls have a lot of love for the Runnin' Bulldogs of Gardner Webb, who had 6 D1 wins last season and were housed by the two ranked teams they faced.

GWU, as luck may have it, will play Elon in week 2.

I'm really just here for unranked Elon beating Gardner Webb, after which they will vault into the top 25, allowing them to slowly climb the polls playing a mostly watered down CAA schedule, then finishing 8-3, sneaking into the playoffs, and getting hammered by the first SoCon team they face. Because CAA.
 #72266  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:41 pm
These polls have a lot of love for the Runnin' Bulldogs of Gardner Webb, who had 6 D1 wins last season and were housed by the two ranked teams they faced.

GWU, as luck may have it, will play Elon in week 2.

I'm really just here for unranked Elon beating Gardner Webb, after which they will vault into the top 25, allowing them to slowly climb the polls playing a mostly watered down CAA schedule, then finishing 8-3, sneaking into the playoffs, and getting hammered by the first SoCon team they face. Because CAA.
Yeah - including these Lindy’s rankings … we’ve all seen this movie before.
 #72270  by 'Din Djarin
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:45 pm
Still not old

This hit brought me out of my seat. Travis Blackshear sent him into the multiverse. That kicker is in some other universe still.
 #72279  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:58 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:45 pm
Still not old

This hit brought me out of my seat. Travis Blackshear sent him into the multiverse. That kicker is in some other universe still.
Maybe…but before he teleported, he did kick another 50+ yd FG for the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians

4th & 10 at FUR 33
(14:39 - 4th) Skyler Davis 51 Yd Field Goal
 #72283  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:41 pm
I just love knowing that this play was discussed, then practiced, held quietly for the opportune moment (maybe all season), and splat.
'Din Djarin liked this
 #72290  by Affirm
 Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:52 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 am
Bouncing off of Jackal's thoughts on conferences - is there any imminent possibility that there will be FCS conference re-alignment in response to all the pieces moving in FBS?
This has nothing to do directly with Furman and the SoCon, but does have to do with re-alignment.
Saw a new article today opining about Big 10 possibilities for expanding. Mentioned as possible targets were UNC, Duke, UVA, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Stanford, Georgia Tech. Another article (or maybe it was the same article) talked about the possible implosions of the ACC and of the PAC 12. The ACC has a rift between 2 groups of 7 teams each. One of the groups includes Clemson, FSU, NCSU, and I cannot recall the others, maybe Miami, Virginia Tech, Virginia, has a greatly different desire for a new revenue sharing plan than the other group does. The article mentioned some of those would be logical additions to the SEC when and if the SEC expands further. The media rights agreement was mentioned as a stumbling block.
 #72295  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:43 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 am
Bouncing off of Jackal's thoughts on conferences - is there any imminent possibility that there will be FCS conference re-alignment in response to all the pieces moving in FBS?
No.
 #72302  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:42 pm
Me thinks the 2004 & 2005 teams were a tad better than 2001. The ball just didn’t bounce the right way.
I looked at the numbers a week or so ago.

If you look at the ‘22 numbers and compare production to the ‘04 and ‘05 teams, there are a lot of similarities.

That should encourage Furman fans, as the ‘04 and ‘05 teams are arguably two of the strongest teams we’ve ever fielded.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72322  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:14 pm
A few more thoughts.

The '04 and '05 will be hard to compete with in terms of offensive production. Both units averaged approximately 35 points per game. Perhaps more impressive was the offensive balance -- in both years Furman averaged approximately 230 ypg both passing AND rushing. A team that puts up 460ish yards per game every game is going to be tough to slow down.

I'm not sure the '23 is going to have that sort of offensive firepower.

However, Huff's '22 season (close to 3,000 total yards and 20+ touchdowns) is among the better seasons ever by a Furman QB. He put up pretty eye popping numbers despite overcoming injuries, no spring practice, battling for the starting job, and playing in a new offensive system. One has to think he could really only improve on his '22 season in '23.

Honestly, looking over the record books, Huff is nudging into Ingle Martin territory in terms of command of the offense and production. As the season went on, he went from "hey this kid can play a bit" to "he looks completely in control of what Furman is doing offensively." You watch this play against Mercer and he makes a really good defense look silly on a broken play:

There are 5 orange jerseys around Huff when he scores. He pump fakes one, out runs a few, forces a few to give ground out of respect to his arm, no one seems to want to square up with him. In my view, the last time we saw a player like that under center at Furman was Martin.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #72323  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:14 pm
However, Huff's '22 season (close to 3,000 total yards and 20+ touchdowns) is among the better seasons ever by a Furman QB. He put up pretty eye popping numbers despite overcoming injuries, no spring practice, battling for the starting job, and playing in a new offensive system. One has to think he could really only improve on his '22 season in '23.

Honestly, looking over the record books, Huff is nudging into Ingle Martin territory in terms of command of the offense and production. As the season went on, he went from "hey this kid can play a bit" to "he looks completely in control of what Furman is doing offensively.

In my view, the last time we saw a player like that under center at Furman was Martin.
FUBeAR was recently asked to name his top 3 QB’s for Furman in this century. His response…

1. Ingle Martin
2T. Billy Napier
2T. Jordan Sorrells

* Current Furman QB, Tyler Huff, could very well vault to the top of this list if his 2023 performance lives up to the expectations he created with his outstanding 2022 results.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.