• Transfers

#71839  by Afurmanfan
 Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 pm
Not a transfer, but speaking of tall receivers, the coaches were very impressed with John Holbrook. He is a 6-4 receiver from the IMG academy and participated in spring practice. They like him a lot. They commented that the wide receiver room is really talented.
 #71859  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 18, 2023 11:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:32 pm
Furman picks up TE from Ferris State, a Division 2 juggernaut.
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/5/ ... Y0QMj-3SDI
Get to know this new Paladin a bit in this ~30 minute (Jan ‘23) podcast interview. Gotta overlook the young interviewer’s lack of polish/experience (he’s no Dan Scott), but Mr. Pline presents as a very intelligent, highly mature young man who should fit well into the Furman Football culture.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4gMTz ... jIUBbHg4Fk
dornb liked this
 #71860  by The Jackal
 Thu May 18, 2023 12:16 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 pm
Not a transfer, but speaking of tall receivers, the coaches were very impressed with John Holbrook. He is a 6-4 receiver from the IMG academy and participated in spring practice. They like him a lot. They commented that the wide receiver room is really talented.

Holbrook is a kid from the 2023 class I'm really interested to follow. He's an early enrollee, so should have spring and fall camps under his belt before the season starts.

From what I've seen, the comp on him may be Richmond/VMI's Jakob Herres - tall big-bodied receiver with good speed and leaping ability. If he's a fraction of that good he'll be one to watch.
AstroDin liked this
 #71878  by 'Din Djarin
 Fri May 19, 2023 9:53 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:56 pm
My crystal ball sees some passes that look high being caught for some big plays. Nice.
I believe protocol is to describe these passes as, "putting it where only his receiver could catch it." ;)
 #71946  by The Jackal
 Mon May 22, 2023 4:13 pm
Listening to the Scott interview, Hendrix seemed to suggest there may be other transfer players yet unannounced.

I notice there have been a number of offers to grad/transfer players on social media over the weeks. Most of those appear to be offensive linemen.
AstroDin, dornb, 'Din Djarin liked this
 #72428  by Afurmanfan
 Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:18 pm
Will have 2 more OL transfers in addition to Fred Norman. One from small school nearby with one year left and one from FBS with 3 years eligibility. And that does it for this year.
AstroDin, FUBeAR liked this
 #72431  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:07 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:18 pm
Will have 2 more OL transfers in addition to Fred Norman. One from small school nearby with one year left and one from FBS with 3 years eligibility. And that does it for this year.
I think we've managed the transfer portal well.

I'm glad to see prioritizing the offensive line. That unit played at a high level last year, but sorely needed depth after a few untimely departures by underclassmen.
 #72432  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:34 am
No inside info, but I wonder if one of the transfers is Mason Bundy from Liberty.

He's an offensive linemen, from an FBS school, three years of eligibility remaining, from North Georgia, bunch of FCS/G5 offers out of high school, followed by Hendrix and Roper on social media.
 #72509  by KingPaladin
 Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:26 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:15 pm
Very important get for increased depth, hopefully we can have similar positive injury luck as last year
dornb liked this
 #72515  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am
Along the offensive line, this is my best guess:

Center: Johanning is a beast and looks to move from OG to C this fall. The only other players listed on the roster at C are Ryan Lamb and Luke Westerman. Last season, Lamb was listed as backup C.

It is probably worth at least mentioning that last season Wyatt Huges started one game at Center in Jumper's absence. Hard, though, not to expect the starting guy in the middle will be Johanning.

OG: Wyatt Hughes, I believe, has logged 17 starts and 26 games. He was RG last year and, I expect, would seem likely to man that role again this year.

The other OG (presumably, to take Johanning's spot) seems up in the air. The two OG backups last year were EJ Wilson, who logged limited time, and Blake Hundley, who appears to have moved to OT.

I would expect this spot would likely go to Gerrik Vollmer or newly-acquired Fred Norman.

OT: Pearson Toomey seems like a mortal lock to start at one of the tackle spots. Eli Brasher was listed at #2 on the depth chart, but played sparingly. Luke Petit is another guy that you may start seeing work in there as well.

I expect the other OT spot will be one of the transfers. Either Norman or one of the other yet-to-be-named transfer players.

At bottom, the offensive line returns everyone on the 2 deep but Tomlin. There's a ton of experience up front and a few guys that have been waiting in the wings ready to contribute.

We didn't have a ton of depth last season, but, fortunately, didn't really need to call on it. A lot of the backups were younger players and guys that could swing at different positions if needed. I think this year we'll still have the veteran/talented starting front, but the backups will have more depth and, I would expect, the ability to rotate into and out of the game more frequently.
Paladin82, Davemeister liked this
 #72572  by Paul C
 Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:24 pm
"Elliott was named to the Indiana Football Coaches Association Top 50 All-State Team while leading his offensive line group … Rated the No. 42 prospect in the state of Indiana coming out of high school"

Looks like he had MAC offers....committed to AFA...then decommitted and signed with Colorado St.
 #72576  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:57 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:24 pm
"Elliott was named to the Indiana Football Coaches Association Top 50 All-State Team while leading his offensive line group … Rated the No. 42 prospect in the state of Indiana coming out of high school"

Looks like he had MAC offers....committed to AFA...then decommitted and signed with Colorado St.

Interesting pickup. I watched his high school films (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7654073/5d ... 0c04561734 ) and he definitely seems like a Clay Hendrix-type target - big, athletic, versatile, good technique.

Looks like he’ll be a good fit in what we want to do offensively.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.