• Freshman Predictions

#71655  by Paul C
 Sat May 06, 2023 1:22 pm
I hope all our Fr either RS or play limited minutes in developmental roles, embracing the “work while you wait” philosophy and buildng deeper relationships that will encourage them to stay at Furman later in their careers as they blossom into meaningful contributors on the court.
FU69 liked this
 #71656  by apaladin
 Sat May 06, 2023 2:56 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 1:22 pm
I hope all our Fr either RS or play limited minutes in developmental roles, embracing the “work while you wait” philosophy and buildng deeper relationships that will encourage them to stay at Furman later in their careers as they blossom into meaningful contributors on the court.
Agree PC, hope the system continues to work! Just like Vanderwal nd Molnar this year. Vanderwal contributed some and Molnar redshirted. Both are likely to play major roles this coming season.
furpop16 liked this
 #71657  by Paul C
 Sat May 06, 2023 3:32 pm
I used to hope that our Fr would come in and set the world on fire but in todays landscape those that do wind up in the portal and are gone.

I would love to see that stats on how many mid major PoY’s with eligibility remaining transferred, or even better, what % of mid major “first team all conf” players transferred.

It’s a conundrum for sure. Makes it hard for a program to make a leap like we did in 2015. In todays world, Croone and then Sibley would have been gone.
apaladin liked this
 #71662  by FurmanFan23
 Sat May 06, 2023 6:36 pm
I actually disagree somewhat. I think if a freshman comes in ready to play we should play him and not save his eligibility or try to redshirt him. I am all about winning SOCON championships. Playing freshman gives us the best chance of this. Think about how impactful Ben Vanderwal was this season.
 #71664  by FurmanFan23
 Sat May 06, 2023 6:37 pm
No reason to sit players who are good when the rest of the SOCON is reloading with the portal which is giving them quality players
 #71665  by FurmanFan23
 Sat May 06, 2023 6:39 pm
If a player is considering transferring from Furman I say let them transfer. No need to keep them here if they don’t want too. Lots of good players would be willing to play here. We shouldn’t as a team be scared to play freshman due to the portal. If they transfer after one season then so be it. They weren’t meant to play to play here anyway in my opinion.
MNORM liked this
 #71670  by Paul C
 Sat May 06, 2023 11:30 pm
I think Vanderwal is a good example of to bring them along.

It’s nice to not have to count on Fr because we’ve developed talent.
 #71671  by Paul C
 Sat May 06, 2023 11:31 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:36 pm
*Playing freshman who are ready to play
That’s my point I guess. There aren’t many Fr that ready to play in our system.
Roundball liked this
 #71683  by furpop16
 Sun May 07, 2023 11:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:31 pm
That’s my point I guess. There aren’t many Fr that ready to play in our system.

Brilliant! Add this to the reasons to take the long view: CBR’s winning %age, Slaw’s & MB’s developmental success (not to mention Hien’s & JP’s), FU’s differentiated approach to The Portal … each describing a true “competitive advantage”. Can’t wait for Nov ‘23, & Nov ‘24, & …
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #71684  by The Jackal
 Mon May 08, 2023 6:53 am
I would guess that the thought of this coaching staff being able to develop an athletic 6’11 big man has got to be concerning for the other SoCon coaches.
dornb liked this
 #71689  by FurmanFan23
 Mon May 08, 2023 10:37 am
Bowser had the potential to be something we have never seen as Furman fans. Super excited for his development as a player. I’m also really excited to see Tommy Humphries. I think Tommy can be a 3 and D type player for us.

Side note: I think it’s a good thing that Bob and his staff have been able to get good players from nationally ranked teams. All the players from this class fit this type. It’s a different approach from years past and I believe it should continue.
dornb liked this
 #71690  by FurmanFan23
 Mon May 08, 2023 10:39 am
I would much rather have a guy that preforms well in amazing competition compared to someone that lights it up against mediocre HS teams. All three committed freshman have played against really good Hs clubs.
furpop16 liked this