• Transfer QB

#7152  by palafan
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm
Go after him, Clay! I’ll pay the travel expenses for a recruiting trip.

2018 3-star dual-threat QB prospect @WyattRector has told HERO Sports he will be transferring from Western Michigan and is open to FCS schools.

Held 4 FBS offers in H.S. and was originally committed to Virginia.

He is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds - will have 4 years eligibility (2018 RS)”
PaladinDad, bj93, MNORM and 3 others liked this
 #7153  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:09 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm
Go after him, Clay! I’ll pay the travel expenses for a recruiting trip.

2018 3-star dual-threat QB prospect @WyattRector has told HERO Sports he will be transferring from Western Michigan and is open to FCS schools.

Held 4 FBS offers in H.S. and was originally committed to Virginia.

He is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds - will have 4 years eligibility (2018 RS)”

This guy and others to follow need to be a focus, no sense in us standing PAT when we have an opportunity to add to the most important position in football
PaladinDad, apaladin liked this
 #7156  by JohnW
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 pm
The more interesting guy to me is Zeb Noland who is leaving Iowa St. after losing the starting job. He's a 6-2 215 sophomore from right down the road in Watkinsville, Ga. As for interest both guys have been followed by a Furman coach.
Last edited by JohnW on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, dornb, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #7158  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm
Noland was pretty effective passing the ball in game action . . . Rector is more athletic. Either seems like a good addition, so far as talent is concerned.
 #7159  by Flagman
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm
I understand the desires expressed here, but what does this say to the players we recruited and are now on the team?
 #7160  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 pm
Flagman wrote:
I understand the desires expressed here, but what does this say to the players we recruited and are now on the team?
All 3 of those guys are young as well

We had 4 QB's on full scholarship this past season, getting a transfer would put us back at 4
 #7161  by Flagman
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Flagman wrote:

We had 4 QB's on full scholarship this past season, getting a transfer would put us back at 4
And if one or more of these guys transfer, we're left with a bare shelf if we're struck with the injury bug.
 #7162  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:54 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Flagman wrote:

And if one or more of these guys transfer, we're left with a bare shelf if we're struck with the injury bug.

I am not understanding your logic? Are you saying we should not pursue a talented QB if they are interested in us?
 #7164  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:12 pm
A transfer does not mean a current player would not be the starting QB. It does mean maybe they need to step up their game. A transfer would just give CCH more options. I do not see anything wrong with that. Let the best QB win the job.
FUpaladin08, PaladinDad, MNORM and 3 others liked this
 #7168  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 pm
Flagman wrote:
As a friend of mine who coaches basketball says - " if a current player is afraid of transfers and competition .. I don't know that I really want that guy" - D1 players should want competition and not be scared of it.

The only comment I would have is my initial thought was IF we got a transfer QB we would get a two year type guy so Grainger/Sisson would play as Juniors and Seniors and have lots of time to prep. A guy with 4 years left would surprise me. But hey, If Ingle Martin is coming - GET HIM. That is life ... Ill take 4 years of Ingle Martin EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK

Grainger has impressed - he does - but he is so young. He only has one year of high school QB... that is crazy inexperienced. and 4 games of college? He is still 3 high school years behind the curve
 #7181  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 pm
Transfers are not guaranteed to pan out.

The thought process behind a transfer QB this offseason is not that there isn't a lot to like about our current options (there is), but that those options might do well spending a year or two getting their sea legs before being thrust out there. You saw this year a pretty stark difference between green freshemen QBs and a veteran, even though their in-game playing time was roughly about the same (none of them had ever really seen playing time).

As Furman fans, I think we've sort of grown accustomed to seeing QBs come in and start as freshmen. Just thinking back, Hannon, Blazejowski, Woodruff, Fletcher, Sorrells, and now Grainger and Lincoln all started as freshmen (some more than others). We've also had a number of guys start as 5th year seniors after being career backups (Roberts, Derrick, Worley).

Ideally, you want that to be the exception and not the rule. I'd love to see us get back to a point where our starting QB steps in as a sophomore or junior, plays two seasons or so, and then hands the reigns to his backup who is now a sophomore or junior. Give guys the chance to grow and develop in the program before throwing them out there.
Jasper and 1 others liked this
 #7182  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The thought process behind a transfer QB this offseason is not that there isn't a lot to like about our current options (there is), but that those options might do well spending a year or two getting their sea legs before being thrust out there. You saw this year a pretty stark difference between green freshemen QBs and a veteran, even though their in-game playing time was roughly about the same (none of them had ever really seen playing time).

As Furman fans, I think we've sort of grown accustomed to seeing QBs come in and start as freshmen. Just thinking back, Hannon, Blazejowski, Woodruff, Fletcher, Sorrells, and now Grainger and Lincoln all started as freshmen (some more than others). We've also had a number of guys start as 5th year seniors after being career backups (Roberts, Derrick, Worley).

Ideally, you want that to be the exception and not the rule. I'd love to see us get back to a point where our starting QB steps in as a sophomore or junior, plays two seasons or so, and then hands the reigns to his backup who is now a sophomore or junior. Give guys the chance to grow and develop in the program before throwing them out there.

Right, we really struggled offensively without Harris Roberts out there this past season, we need to address that
 #7184  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Right, we really struggled offensively without Harris Roberts out there this past season, we need to address that
Exactly. It would most optimally be a junior QB starter who plays two years and then hands it over to next 2 year Junior. Need to get off the freshman or new QB trail ... This will be third QB in three years. 2017. Blaze. 2018. Roberts. ? 2019.
 #7190  by furman88
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:20 am
The QB for 2019 is certainly a question mark given we have some talented young guys. If we take a transfer it only makes these guys stronger and gives them time to develope their abilites and certainly gives the HC and OC more options.If you can add to your talent pool a transfer certainly is route that can make a diffrence. Not a gurantee but worth a shot to continue progress.I'm sure a talented transfer for any position would be looked at so this would not be unusal. I don't thinl coach Hendrix is building the program on transfers but looks at all options.