• NDSU "developing players" ?? DIfferent talent level

#71468  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:33 am
I think there is something of a farce in this oft-repeated phrase. You see this repeated all the time on AGS. by NDSU fans "we DEVELOP talent better". please

They have FOUR guys - just that I know of (and I don't know much) - that have already signed at least FA (like our own Ryan Miller) with NFL teams. We have ONE.

They (NDSU fans) always say on the AGS board that FCS is about "developing talent" - cmon when you have FOUR people already signed to FA contracts and 2 or 3 more on the board (they may end up with 6 NFL FA guys ! from a daggum FCS team)... they are GETTING a different level of talent up there. They may be doing a good job ALSO developing that talent - I don't deny that... But you have to be at a certain talent level to begin with. We coulda done very little and Jerome Felton woulda made the NFL. As they say in many sectors (like education) "that person will succeed despite his teachers or coaching".

And that doesn't even count the SECOND ROUND SUPER STUD -
Cody Mauch OL North Dakota State 2 (17) 48 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Here is what they have SO FAR as for Free Agent signings-

Noah Gindorff, North Dakota State, TE, 6-6, 263 – Seattle Seahawks FA
Nash Jensen, North Dakota State, OG, 6-4, 328 – Carolina Panthers FA
Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State, FB, 6-1, 230 – Dallas Cowboys FA
Spencer Waege, North Dakota State, DE/DT, 6-4 1/2, 280 – San Francisco 49ers FA

Michael Tutsie, North Dakota State, S, 5-11, 189 – still waiting and listed as highly probable FA
Dawson Webber, North Dakota State, SS, 6-1, 198 – still waiting and listed as highly probable FA

good article on top FCS players who may sign or have signed tonight:
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/ready ... nfl-draft/
 #71471  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:33 am
I think there is something of a farce in this oft-repeated phrase. You see this repeated all the time on AGS. by NDSU fans "we DEVELOP talent better". please

They have FOUR guys - just that I know of (and I don't know much) - that have already signed at least FA (like our own Ryan Miller) with NFL teams. We have ONE.

They (NDSU fans) always say on the AGS board that FCS is about "developing talent" - cmon when you have FOUR people already signed to FA contracts and 2 or 3 more on the board (they may end up with 6 NFL FA guys ! from a daggum FCS team)... they are GETTING a different level of talent up there. They may be doing a good job ALSO developing that talent - I don't deny that... But you have to be at a certain talent level to begin with. We coulda done very little and Jerome Felton woulda made the NFL. As they say in many sectors (like education) "that person will succeed despite his teachers or coaching".

And that doesn't even count the SECOND ROUND SUPER STUD -
Cody Mauch OL North Dakota State 2 (17) 48 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Here is what they have SO FAR as for Free Agent signings-

Noah Gindorff, North Dakota State, TE, 6-6, 263 – Seattle Seahawks FA
Nash Jensen, North Dakota State, OG, 6-4, 328 – Carolina Panthers FA
Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State, FB, 6-1, 230 – Dallas Cowboys FA
Spencer Waege, North Dakota State, DE/DT, 6-4 1/2, 280 – San Francisco 49ers FA

Michael Tutsie, North Dakota State, S, 5-11, 189 – still waiting and listed as highly probable FA
Dawson Webber, North Dakota State, SS, 6-1, 198 – still waiting and listed as highly probable FA

good article on top FCS players who may sign or have signed tonight:
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/ready ... nfl-draft/
It's "both and"

Cody Mauch came to NDSU as a 220 lbs walk-on tight end. He redshirted. He was a scout team player his second season. He was a reserve player as a sophomore. He really took off as a junior.

I don't think you can dismiss NDSU as just having more talent. Yes, they have talent. They are also really good at identifying players that fit their system and developing them within that system. Mauch didn't add 80 lbs and turn into an NFL talent overnight without a program around him.

Personally, I also think NDSU is good at going right when everyone else goes left. In an era of spread up tempo offenses, the Bison use three TEs, a fullback, and a QB that can run over and around you. They run a different style than teams routinely see these days and are very good at doing it.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.