• AP Poll, Coaches Poll, Mid Major Poll

#7118  by Fessor
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:01 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if WC didn't beat SC in Columbia tonight.
Ignoring the apparent double negative in your sentence ...

How the hell did they get a game with the Cocks and we didn't?
 #7121  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Fear
 #7123  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 pm
As expected WC is wearing SC out. Up 15 with under 4 to go. SC is really bad. Sparse crowd also. Looks like Nebraska is going to beat Clempson also. Good night in the Palmetto state.
 #7130  by tya1
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:00 pm
Wofford destroys USC 81-61

SoCon having a hella year so far.
Magee had a poor game with 2-11 three point shooting and 3-15 overall, Murphy didn't play because of illness, but Hoover was red hot from the outside with 9-12 from behind the circle. He scored 30. The Wofford bigs outplayed the Gamecock big men. South Carolina's starters combined to hit 11-38 from the floor. A smaller Terrier team outrebounded USC.

Not surprised by the win but the margin was unexpected. South Carolina lost by two to Stony Brook and by nine in a tournament to Providence.
 #7131  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:33 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Fear
I understand the desire to ask "how the hell did they get a game with the Cocks and we didn't?".

Here are some facts:
Over the past 20 seasons, including this season, Furman has a total of 11 games against the 2 big in-state schools, USC and Clemson.
Over the past 20 seasons, including this season, Wofford has a total of 21 games against the 2.
(In the same 20 seasons, Citadel has a total of 18 games against the 2.)

It is fun to say "fear" is the reason, but I am not so sure that is it. It is not fear on Furman's part. I do not see why USC or Clemson would have reasons to fear Furman more than Wofford during the past 20 years.

I think that discrepancy, 11 games for Furman, and 21 games for Wofford, is due to something else, but I don't know exactly what. I still think it is a good question.

Furman has had 4 games against USC in the 20 years and 7 against Clemson. Total 11.
Wofford has had 11 against USC in the 20 years and 10 against Clemson. Total 21.

By the way, I don't care if we don't play USC or Clemson as much as Wofford (or Citadel) does. But I do care if we don't play the same approximate quantity and quality of big name OOC games as Wofford does. (Note that Wofford this year has "OOC big names" that include USC, UNC, Kansas, Stanford, Oklahoma, Mississippi State; I am satisfied, since we beat Villanova and Loyola-Chicago, that this year our schedule of "OOC big names" includes Villanova, Loyola-Chicago, LSU, UNCW, Elon, UNCA, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, USC Upstate.)
I emphasize that our wins over Loyola-Chicago and Villanova this season negate any of my OOC game scheduling concerns for this season.

ADDENDUM REGARDING FOOTBALL:
In football, over the past 20 seasons, including this season, Furman has a total of 6 games against the 2 big in-state schools, USC and Clemson.
Over the past 20 seasons, including this season, Wofford has a total of 7 games against the 2.
When the next 5 years are included (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) Furman will have had a total of 7 games against the 2; and Wofford will have had a total of 10.

(In the same 25 years, Citadel will have had a total of 8 games against the 2 in football.)

Again, I don't care if we don't play USC or Clemson as much as Wofford (or Citadel) does. On the other hand, it appears from a financial point of view that Furman may be getting 30% less payout than Wofford from the big 2 for the 25-year period 1999-2023 (and Furman may be getting 12.5% less payout than Citadel from the big 2 for the 25-year period 1999-2023); and I do care about the financial aspect.

ADDENDUM 2 REGARDING CITADEL: See above in italics for comments pertaining to Citadel basketball and football scheduling against the big 2.
 #7316  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 am
raleigh fan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 pm
So now dow we get ion Top 25 after the carnage in poll this week?
Its possible, we were 28th

Clemson, Purdue, Oregon, Texas will all drop below us

So the question is will we rise to 24th/25th, or will a couple teams jump us

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.