• Is it me, or does the school show much more love for b-ball

#70623  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:37 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:03 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm
March Madness versus FCS playoff publicity is not even a comparison.
I think you answered your own question here.

A lot of you are probably like me and care more about football than you do about basketball, so we're going to have to accept the fact that Furman wants to be a basketball school. AD Jason Donnelly has all but said that exact statement. At first, this made me bristle, but at this point, I'm 100% on board. I want Furman to be excellent at things, and basketball is fine thing at which to be excellent. Plus, our football team is still really, really good and we're looking at a really special season coming up soon. I don't think becoming a "basketball school" means we automatically have to sacrifice quality football. In fact, it's possible that raising the status of one of our other revenue sports lifts the status of the others along with it.
let's be Villanova. I have no problem with winning a basketball AND football national title. Basketball the 'big' one and Football FCS -GoFurman
'Din Djarin, FU Hoopla, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #70646  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am
This such a jealous and distasteful topic, ridiculous that it has been one of the more active football topics over the past month, why it has not been locked or moved to general idiocy is beyond me................

I've always been a fan of both, but I never compared the two in an effort to complain when basketball was being ignored and given only minimum resources to succeed for nearly 30 years while football was at the front door by comparison.
Seriously hoops get's its first big time run of success and publicity in forever and you want to cry about it? lol

So with all due respect to the original poster, STFU
 #70696  by Yadkin
 Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:50 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am
This such a jealous and distasteful topic, ridiculous that it has been one of the more active football topics over the past month, why it has not been locked or moved to general idiocy is beyond me................

I've always been a fan of both, but I never compared the two in an effort to complain when basketball was being ignored and given only minimum resources to succeed for nearly 30 years while football was at the front door by comparison.
Seriously hoops get's its first big time run of success and publicity in forever and you want to cry about it? lol

So with all due respect to the original poster, STFU
I agree this is a distasteful topic and makes many among us wonder why Furman success, in whatever form it takes, can't be celebrated. I truly believe it is by the vast majority of folks who love FU and Paladin Athletics. Basketball's 40+ years in the wilderness was finally rewarded, and our university is the better for it. I hope is continues.

That said, before we start telling folks to "STFU," some nuggets from history are in order. On several occasions over the years, on this board in particular, a few notable FU hoops folks fronted the jealous argument that Paladin Basketball couldn't win because football was more favored, basketball ignored (repeated above yet again), and the pie wasn't big enough for both. Pure horsehockey. Basketball's futility from 1981-2017 can assigned in large measure to bad/incompetent coaching, plain and simple. Jene Davis, Joe Cantafio, Larry Davis, and Jeff Jackson were insufferably bad hires, and two of the hires (Larry Davis and Jeff Jackson) were made by basketball loving ADs. Butch Estes almost looks John Wooden-esque compared to the others, with Larry Davis a distant second in the group (which says a lot).

Nobody who knows anything about FU Athletics will ever assert that basketball had its challenges, even beyond coaches, but that wasn't due to Furman football. Giant, needed strides have been made over the last seven years on all fronts in support of the hoops program, but the cornerstone of it all was the hiring of Niko Medved, followed by Bob Richey, plain and simple.

So yes, I'll join the chorus that says we should "knock off the finger pointing," and that goes for the originators of the distasteful practice.

Go Paladins.
FU Hoopla, FUBeAR, Davemeister and 6 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.