• 12:30

#6865  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am
I get it that Furman was a bubble team.

I will not accept that Wofford and ETSU had more "significant wins."

ETSU's best win was over Furman.
Pretty sure the man was NOT talking about comparing Furman’s win over Wofford to significant wins by Wofford or ETSU. The context of the question he was asked was ‘ALL OTHER Conferences Co- & Tri-Champs, specifically the Southland & The Big Sky, rec’d bids, but the SoCon Tri-Champ, Furman, did not. Why not?’ So when he talked about comparing to ‘other champions,’ pretty sure he was referring to EWU, UCD, and UIW (who was Co-Champs with Nicholls even though they played fewer Conference games). Also, Wofford’s wins didn’t need to be compared as they already had the Autobid. And, ETSU’s best win (other than over FU) was Chatt. Even the dumb%#}% Committee couldn’t have seen that as better than FU’s win over Woffy. So, it seems pretty obvious to me he was NOT talking about FU’s win over Woffy compared to the other SoCon Champions’ best wins. Just makes no sense at all.

With regard to what he was talking about...Hard to argue with EWU @ 9-2 with a close game with Weber and a big win over 9-2 UCD; although there is some circular logic there because that is EWU’s only win over a Playoff Team AND UCD’s only win over a Playoff Team was over non-schollie San Diego coupled with a narrow win over AWFUL 1-10 FBS San Jose State (lower Massey-rated than FU, Wofford, and even UIW). More of that circular logic by giving Weber so much credit for wins over EWU & Montana State, but they lost to Big Sky also-ran, NAU, who just fired their Coach. I hope these Big Lie Teams get blown up in the Playoffs like they did the last 2 years (except Weber), but no one seems to remember.

So, give the 9-2 Big Lie Teams their unproven ‘due,’ and that brings us back to the Southland. UIW was 6-4 with 0 wins over Playoff Teams & 0 OOC wins AND a loss to Lamar...who they decided to let in at 7-4 to justify the UIW selection, even though they had no wins over Playoff Teams except UIW.

So...the dudes ‘logic’ completely falls apart when comparing Furman’s win over Wofford to anything from the Southland, the Conference that his school, Central Arkansas, happens to be in.

UIW & Lamar are the imposters.

Furman’s win over Wofford, using the dude’s own statement, should have put the Paladins in the Playoffs.
 #6866  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:41 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Pretty sure the man was NOT talking about comparing Furman’s win over Wofford to significant wins by Wofford or ETSU. The context of the question he was asked was ‘ALL OTHER Conferences Co- & Tri-Champs, specifically the Southland & The Big Sky, rec’d bids, but the SoCon Tri-Champ, Furman, did not. Why not?’ So when he talked about comparing to ‘other champions,’ pretty sure he was referring to EWU, UCD, and UIW (who was Co-Champs with Nicholls even though they played fewer Conference games).

Hard to argue with EWU @ 9-2 with a close game with Weber and a big win over 9-2 UCD; although there is some circular logic there because that is EWU’s only win over a Playoff Team AND UCD’s only win over a Playoff Team was over non-schollie San Diego coupled with a narrow win over AWFUL 1-10 FBS San Jose State (lower Massey-rated than FU, Wofford, and even UIW). More of that circular logic by giving Weber so much credit for wins over EWU & Montana State, but they lost to Big Sky also-ran, NAU, who just fired their Coach. I hope these Big Lie Teams get blown up in the Playoffs like they did last year (except Weber), but no one seems to remember.

So, give the 9-2 Big Lie Teams their unproven ‘due,’ and that brings us back to the Southland. UIW was 6-4 with 0 wins over Playoff Teams & 0 OOC wins AND a loss to Lamar...who they decided to let in at 7-4 to justify the UIW selection, even though they had no wins over Playoff Teams except UIW.

So...the dudes ‘logic’ completely falls apart when comparing Furman’s win over Wofford to anything from the Southland, the Conference that his school, Central Arkansas, happens to be in.

Furman’s win over Wofford, using the dude’s own statement, should have put the Paladins in the Playoffs.
With all the losses of really good FCS programs over the years to FBS, I believe the FCS has really gotten pretty watered down. There are really only a couple of elite teams in this year's playoffs, and all the rest have a similar resume .... beat one playoff team, get smoked by an FBS team, beat a non-D1 or non-schollie team and beat some bad to mediocre conference opponents. It would have kept Furman out last year and completely eliminated us after the Samford loss this year, but I believe FCS desperately needs to go back to 16 teams. The fact that we are upset we didn't make the playoffs at 6-4 with no non-conference wins says a lot about the state of FCS. Remember in the 16-team field where everyone was seeded and 8-3 was about the worst you could be and make the field? Those were the good ole days. Eight teams this year have four losses or more. Eliminate all those teams and boom, you're back at a 16-team field. It's the perfect number in my opinion.
FUpaladin08, dornb liked this
 #6868  by gman
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am
fufanatic wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Pretty sure the man was NOT talking about comparing Furman’s win over Wofford to significant wins by Wofford or ETSU. The context of the question he was asked was ‘ALL OTHER Conferences Co- & Tri-Champs, specifically the Southland & The Big Sky, rec’d bids, but the SoCon Tri-Champ, Furman, did not. Why not?’ So when he talked about comparing to ‘other champions,’ pretty sure he was referring to EWU, UCD, and UIW (who was Co-Champs with Nicholls even though they played fewer Conference games).

Hard to argue with EWU @ 9-2 with a close game with Weber and a big win over 9-2 UCD; although there is some circular logic there because that is EWU’s only win over a Playoff Team AND UCD’s only win over a Playoff Team was over non-schollie San Diego coupled with a narrow win over AWFUL 1-10 FBS San Jose State (lower Massey-rated than FU, Wofford, and even UIW). More of that circular logic by giving Weber so much credit for wins over EWU & Montana State, but they lost to Big Sky also-ran, NAU, who just fired their Coach. I hope these Big Lie Teams get blown up in the Playoffs like they did last year (except Weber), but no one seems to remember.

With all the losses of really good FCS programs over the years to FBS, I believe the FCS has really gotten pretty watered down. There are really only a couple of elite teams in this year's playoffs, and all the rest have a similar resume .... beat one playoff team, get smoked by an FBS team, beat a non-D1 or non-schollie team and beat some bad to mediocre conference opponents. It would have kept Furman out last year and completely eliminated us after the Samford loss this year, but I believe FCS desperately needs to go back to 16 teams. The fact that we are upset we didn't make the playoffs at 6-4 with no non-conference wins says a lot about the state of FCS. Remember in the 16-team field where everyone was seeded and 8-3 was about the worst you could be and make the field? Those were the good ole days. Eight teams this year have four losses or more. Eliminate all those teams and boom, you're back at a 16-team field. It's the perfect number in my opinion.
Absolutely agree with going back to a 16 team field. The playoffs should be a reward that is difficult to obtain. The field should include only the best of the best.
dornb liked this
 #6871  by dornb
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 am
gman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am
fufanatic wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Absolutely agree with going back to a 16 team field. The playoffs should be a reward that is difficult to obtain. The field should include only the best of the best.
What about this idea? What if the selection committee was comprised of people who were not connected with FBS schools at all? I don't know if it would work, but it seems to me that the committee members are too biased to be fair. :?:
 #6877  by DeepPurple
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:08 pm
We were penalized for playing Clemson. (the loss)
We were penalized for not getting to make up the hurricane game, get a replacement, Colgate did not want to come, saved a boat load of money.
Understandable!
It really seems like you get penalized in FBS for playing some "layups" but in FCS, you don't.
We have a lot to be proud of and are blessed, the future looks very Good!
 #6879  by Yadkin
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:13 pm
16-team field will never happen again. We're on to the "everybody gets a trophy" mindset where horse-hockey leagues such as the Pioneer, NEC, and SWAC have to be included to make them feel legit, when they aren't in the least.
apaladin liked this
 #6882  by MNORM
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:13 pm
16-team field will never happen again. We're on to the "everybody gets a trophy" mindset where horse-hockey leagues such as the Pioneer, NEC, and SWAC have to be included to make them feel legit, when they aren't in the least.
It's more involved than this.
There must be an equal number of at-large bids as there are auto-bids. This is the reason the playoff field went to the awful 20 team layout a few years back...then to 24. In order to reduce the overall field to 16 the NCAA would have to drop the auto-bids from two conferences...which maybe isn't that bad of an idea (e.g. the Pioneer & Northeast Conferences).
fufanatic liked this
 #6895  by dinhead
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:27 pm
fufanatic wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Great point. 6-4 teams and sixth place teams in their conference (Elon) shouldn't even be in the discussion. A 16 draw was perfect. The problem is once the Big South and Pioneer and other newbie conferences met the requirements for auto bids the at large bids became very limited and it kind of forced the FCS's hand and they had to expand.
 #6896  by dinhead
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:41 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
We were penalized for not getting to make up the hurricane game, get a replacement, Colgate did not want to come, saved a boat load of money.
Understandable!
It really seems like you get penalized in FBS for playing some "layups" but in FCS, you don't.
Most of all we were penalized by a 45 point loss to the sixth place team in the CAA which had 3 conference losses. Interesting that during the Maine-Elon game the CAA announcers said that if Elon lost their season would be over. I guess it was even hard for them to imagine that a sixth place 6-4 team could get in !

Also interesting to note that earlier this year seventh place (CAA) William and Mary beat first place Maine. Colgate beat William and Mary 23-0.
 #6898  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm
None of this is ever looked at. It is clear bias by the chair from the Southland Conferene. As far as FBS goes they do not get penalized either for cupcake games. Looks at Alabama's and Clempson's OOC schedules. IF we had been sent to Bozeman where IW is going, it is a high of 30 and 90% chance of snow on Saturday. I don't know if this make me feel batter or not.
 #6899  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 pm
dinhead wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:41 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Understandable!
Most of all we were penalized by a 45 point loss to the sixth place team in the CAA which had 3 conference losses. Interesting that during the Maine-Elon game the CAA announcers said that if Elon lost their season would be over. I guess it was even hard for them to imagine that a sixth place 6-4 team could get in !

Also interesting to note that earlier this year seventh place (CAA) William and Mary beat first place Maine. Colgate beat William and Mary 23-0.
Maine also lost to Yale by 3 scores...and Yale squeaked by Mercer by a TD...after Mercer spotted them 21 points (to 0) in the 1st quarter. Yale's DB's, on a turf field, vs. SoCon Teams would give up 10 TD passes a game...but they beat the CAA CHAMP by 3 scores.
 #7006  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 am
Woke up this morning thinking we should be playing today. The more I think about the UCA AD's con job to get 3 Southland teams in the madder I get. Just wondering if anyone here actually wrote this guy or the NCAA? I know it will fall on deaf ears but I was thinking about forwarding Scott Keelers article which sums up the ridiculousness of the whole thing very well.

With that said I think WC has a decent shot at Elon, assuming their QB is still out but I think ETSU gets rolled. I also I an hoping IW and Lamar get routed.
 #7008  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 am
Woke up this morning thinking we should be playing today. The more I think about the UCA AD's con job to get 3 Southland teams in the madder I get. Just wondering if anyone here actually wrote this guy or the NCAA? I know it will fall on deaf ears but I was thinking about forwarding Scott Keelers article which sums up the ridiculousness of the whole thing very well.

With that said I think WC has a decent shot at Elon, assuming their QB is still out but I think ETSU gets rolled. I also I an hoping IW and Lamar get routed.
One thing Hendrix noted several times is that the CAA teams don't play everyone in their conference.

Maine won the CAA's autobid and ended up with a seed. Maine did not play James Madison, Delaware, or Stony Brook. So, Maine won the CAA without playing the teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Let's analogize. That's like Wofford winning the SoCon without playing ETSU, Furman, and Samford.

But again, we can beat 'em or join 'em. If strength of schedule and playing everyone in your conference doesn't matter, then we should adjust accordingly.
apaladin liked this
 #7020  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 pm
I know they didn't have anything to do with it, but I can't help but blame Wofford for taking our playoff spot. Hard to pledge conference allegiance to a team we beat by 20 and tied for the championship.

Go Phoenix.
 #7023  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:10 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 pm
I know they didn't have anything to do with it, but I can't help but blame Wofford for taking our playoff spot. Hard to pledge conference allegiance to a team we beat by 20 and tied for the championship.

Go Phoenix.
I'm in the other boat. I dislike Wofford, but the SoCon could really use a few playoff wins to get a little credibility back. Without a seeded team, the conference from benefits from not cannibalizing itself in the first two rounds.

We've got no one to blame but Furman for missing the playoffs. We need to put ourselves in a position where we are not sitting on a bubble come selection time.
furman88, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.