• Bigger Venue

#70096  by furpop16
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:19 pm
Woops. I see I omitted High Point. Hmm, this kinda changes things:
- High Point enrollment: 5,000; Qubein Center: 2,500

So is High Point an outlier? Otherwise using their facility as a guide would support a new-Timmons capacity of ~2,500
 #70097  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm
furpop16 wrote:

So is High Point an outlier? Otherwise using their facility as a guide would support a new-Timmons capacity of ~2,500
The High Point arena seats 4,500. https://highpointpanthers.com/facilitie ... -center/28
 #70099  by furpop16
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:58 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm
furpop16 wrote:

The High Point arena seats 4,500. https://highpointpanthers.com/facilitie ... -center/28

Ah, indeed. Thanks @Roundball. I confused the Conference Ctr capacity with the Arena capacity. Yes, 4,500, only a tad less than enrollment.
 #70109  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:07 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:00 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 pm
Our bigger venue for basketball on campus needs to be 5,500. Look at Davidson, Richmond, Charleston, Elon, High Point, and others.

Perfect opportunity for some "Friday Fun". Let's test JD the AD and his observation that the facility should be proportional to enrollment:
- Davidson enrollment: 1,975; Belk Arena: 5,295
- Richmond enrollment: 4,200; Robins center: 7,201
- Charleston enrollment: 11,620; TD Arena: 5,100
- Elon enrollment: 6,800; Schar Center: 5,100

So in the first two cases, basketball capacity is on average twice the enrollment. In the third case it's less than half, and in the final case it's a little less than even. Proportionality appears inconsistent. However we can conclude that in three out of the four cases capacity is in the low 5K range. I suggest we ignore the outlier (Richmond) as Furman will have The Well to absorb the high-capacity draw opponents.

Bottom line: using @affirm's four examples as a guide would suggest new-Timmons seating capacity much larger than FU 2,500 enrollment.
"I suggest we ignore the outlier (Richmond) as Furman will have The Well to absorb the high-capacity draw opponents."
15 minutes from University of Richmond will be a new 17,000-seat arena.
GreenCity Arena is a proposed multi-purpose entertainment and sports arena for Richmond VA.
The GreenCity Arena is the tentative name of a planned 17,000-seat indoor arena being built.
History
The $250 million arena will be constructed at the intersection of East Parham Road and Interstate 95. The arena construction is targeted for completion in 2026.
 #70110  by Sad Din
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:26 pm
affirm wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
Our bigger venue for basketball on campus needs to be 5,500. Look at Davidson, Richmond, Charleston, Elon, High Point, and others.

Perfect opportunity for some "Friday Fun". Let's test JD the AD and his observation that the facility should be proportional to enrollment:

So in the first two cases, basketball capacity is on average twice the enrollment. In the third case it's less than half, and in the final case it's a little less than even. Proportionality appears inconsistent. However we can conclude that in three out of the four cases capacity is in the low 5K range. I suggest we ignore the outlier (Richmond) as Furman will have The Well to absorb the high-capacity draw opponents.

Bottom line: using @affirm's four examples as a guide would suggest new-Timmons seating capacity much larger than FU 2,500 enrollment.
"I suggest we ignore the outlier (Richmond) as Furman will have The Well to absorb the high-capacity draw opponents."
GreenCity Arena is a proposed multi-purpose entertainment and sports arena for Richmond VA.
The GreenCity Arena is the tentative name of a planned 17,000-seat indoor arena being built.
History
The $250 million arena will be constructed at the intersection of East Parham Road and Interstate 95. The arena construction is targeted for completion in 2026.
Tellin y'all ... dont get your hopes up. Plenty of hints that it will be between 2500-3000 seats. Its a space limitation.

Any more than that will be seat inflation. For concerts and floor seating add 1000

This is Campbell. They state 3095 capacity. SD thinks the seats are a little deeper than Tim's design. But overall the lower bowl design will be similar to Tim

#70111  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:37 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:26 pm
affirm wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:

History
Tellin y'all ... dont get your hopes up. Plenty of hints that it will be between 2500-3000 seats. Its a space limitation.

Any more than that will be seat inflation. For concerts and floor seating add 1000
You may be 100% right. However, while this thread is still live, I wanted to speak up for what I think Furman should have .
Back to the comment that we can use Bon Secours Wellness Arena for high-draw games, in addition to my reply above regarding Richmond having a really big arena being built 15 minutes from U of R, I want to mention Belmont University. Belmont has a basketball arena that seats 5,100. Their enrollment is about 8,900 including 1,500 graduate students. Belmont is another school that has a huge arena nearby. Bridgestone Arena in Nashville is only 2 miles from Belmont University.
If you are right that we will have 2,500 to 3,000 capacity, I certainly hope it will be much closer to the 3,000.
Sad Din liked this
 #70133  by Affirm
 Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:48 am
3,500 is the size of the arena of St. Mary’s CA Gaels.
1,750 is the size of the arena of Colgate, our “peer college” and our fellow NCAA Tournament participant this year. (Colgate is about 2,900 enrollment.)
If we are “capped” at 3,000 or even 2,500, so be it. We’ll just have to resolve to be perennially the best “Cinderella”, the best of the “smalls”, in the NCAA Tournament.
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #70142  by Sad Din
 Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am
Got to keep an eye on the goal. SD thinks these are the goals:

1. To not be a distractor for a recruit. TImmons should not be part of the decision making progress. Size has little to do with this. How cool is it to play there.... modern features, loud crowds, appearance on TV, etc
2. To be a destination location. A place cool enough that folks what to go there. A gathering place with enough features to be able to spend a few hours there without having to watch the game
3. Fit the needs of other objectives. Place large enough for graduations, concerts, entire school gatherings, other events such as cheerleading/gymnastics, etc

PS for a small fee SD is available for future consulting services :)
Roundball, FU Hoopla liked this
 #70145  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:17 pm
affirm wrote:
1,750 is the size of the arena of Colgate, our “peer college” and our fellow NCAA Tournament participant this year. (Colgate is about 2,900 enrollment.)
If we are “capped” at 3,000 or even 2,500, so be it. We’ll just have to resolve to be perennially the best “Cinderella”, the best of the “smalls”, in the NCAA Tournament.
Please no more about “peer” colleges. Means nothing. Furman is Furman. Absolutely no concerts!!!! This should be a basketball only facility. It should have been that way 25 years ago. We will find out 2 weeks from today. Then again maybe not. It’s out of our control.
 #70149  by Affirm
 Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:17 pm
affirm wrote:
Please no more about “peer” colleges. Means nothing. Furman is Furman. Absolutely no concerts!!!! This should be a basketball only facility. It should have been that way 25 years ago. We will find out 2 weeks from today. Then again maybe not. It’s out of our control.
I am thankful that Furman did not choose to be like Duke, as you apparently would prefer that we had done, in responding to the survey requesting for colleges to designate their list of “self-selected peers”. That is, while most other colleges responding to the survey named their self-selected peers, Duke’s response was to say Duke considers no college or university to be its peer.
I believe it is good for Furman, any college, any institution, to thoughtfully know who it considers its peers to be, who it considers itself most comparable to. (Again, note that seemingly every other college, large and, did name its own self-selected peers - except Duke.)
It is good for Furman, and for Furman’s constituencies, to know what kind of college we are and intend to be.
So yeah, I WILL continue to make comments regarding any of Furman’s “self-selected peers”, whether they are the several who are FCS schools (I.e., Colgate, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Lafayette, Richmond, and Davidson) or the other ones who are D-3 schools, whenever I want to do so, in any context in which I believe it to be appropriate.
 #70157  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:41 pm
3,000 to 3,500 on campus seems right

We go downtown to draw up to 15,000 :D
 #70160  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:10 am
FUBeAR-selected peers of Furman…

University of Bridgeport
Northwestern University
University of Evansville
Kansas State University
Amherst College
College of the Holy Cross
Curry College
Niagara University
Kenyon College
University of Portland
University of Scranton
Trevecca Nazarene University
Texas Christian University
 #70624  by gofurman
 Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:45 am
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:34 pm
The team with this arena is going to the final four.... just sayin'

having a 7 footer helps alot

and their coach would purposefully HIDE the arena and locker rooms from recruits as they visited. He had to do that to get recruits. There was a great article oro interview recently about that... he said he CRIED - literally burst out crying - when he saw the facilities and regretted going there.

though it was an uplifting article about how he turned it around despite the facilities as they were proceeding to the FF. In essence, he had to do everything possible to overcome facilities. Literally felt bad because he would take recruits and NOT show them the basketball arena or locker room. that's bad. that's a one in a million anomaly

EDIT - credit to Roundball... he had the article upthread:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -four-run/
 #71265  by NEPA
 Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:11 am
Any updates on what will be the actual seating capacity ?
 #71266  by furpop16
 Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:13 pm
NEPA wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:11 am
Any updates on what will be the actual seating capacity ?

Kinda curious, myself. We’ve seen “Arena seating of 2,750”, but uncertain whether that’s inclusive of luxury/box capacity.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.