• We’re built to be here for a while

#7000  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am
I love this quote from Coach Hendrix.

The Greenville News has been spotty covering the DINS. The article posted yesterday was solid and actually had information that we haven't heard elsewhere.

The link: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 079854002/

Furman returns three of its top four rushers, its top 10 receivers, and its top four tacklers.

Freshmen who received game experience but played four or fewer games were cornerback Travis Blackshear (four), spur Dae’one Wilkins (four), Abrams (three) and linebacker Braden Gilby (three). Add the quarterbacks; Grainger (four), Hamp Sisson (two). Kudos to the coaches for taking advantage of the new four-game rule.

Two freshmen played in all ten games Corey Watkins (10), Ryan Miller (10).
mathprofhiker, dornb, Paladawg and 1 others liked this
 #7003  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 am
Abrams is a guy I am going to watch. Out of this last class, he was perhaps the one I was most excited about seeing.

As the season progressed, you saw Furman de-emphasize the fullback as the primary ball carrier, which was a staple of Drew Cronic's wing-t offense. George Quarles offense still runs with a double wing look, but spent far more time in pro-style sets where the fullback was primarily deployed as a lead blocker and would occasionally get a carry on short yardage situations and quick traps and dives.

When you see Abrams mentioned, he is often discussed along with Wynn and Watkins. That leads me to think that the Furman coaches see him as more of a big-bodied feature back instead of a blocking fullback. There is room in this offense for a third rotational back, and I believe next year Abrams will be that guy.

That is not, of course, to take anything away from Darius Morehead. Over the last two seasons, I think Furman uses Morehead the way they probably should - where his presence on the field distracts defenses. Morehead is not going to be the guy to get 20+ carries or pound the ball between the tackles. His highest and best use - in my opinion - is flexing in and out of the formation as a RB and WR and forcing the defense to deal with a guy who may not get the ball, but if he does, he can score from anywhere on the field.

Next season, if we can work those four backs into the rotation for 4 quarters and have a couple of big bodies like Maples and Sanders keeping things lively, that's going to be the best rushing attack we've had since 2005.
 #7015  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:43 pm
How much of the de-emphasis of the fullback was because of injury?
I don't think that was the primary factor.

In 2017, Furman fullbacks (Wilcox, Dirks, Gibson, Sanders) carried the ball an average of almost 30 times a game (28.8). Dirks averaged nearly 14 carries a contest.

In 2018, Furman fullbacks (Dirks, Gibson, Sanders, Maples, Abrams) ran the ball just over 13 times a game. Dirks averaged just over 8 carries a game. Dirks had only one game this season (Elon) where he managed as many total carries as he averaged last season.

Furman actually ran the ball more often on average in 2018 (49 attempts per game) than in 2017 (48.5 attempts per game). So, Furman ran the ball as much, if not a bit more, on average this season than last, but the fullback's load dropped by over half. I don't think that shift is injury related. I think it is a fundamental shift in philosophy.
 #7016  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 pm
Also, while a lot of the "window dressing" was the same, Furman used different personnel which had the net effect of reducing the fullback's carries.

Last season, it was rare to see Furman in a two back set where the fullback (usually Dirks or Wilcox) was not in the game. This year, Furman had a bunch of packages where Wynn and Watkins were the two backs and the fullback wasn't on the field.
 #7051  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am
Have to go along with JohnW. Last year there were holes in the middle for Wilcox and Dirks to pick up big yardage. This year not very many.
 #7067  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 am
Have to go along with JohnW. Last year there were holes in the middle for Wilcox and Dirks to pick up big yardage. This year not very many.
There's no question that having guys like Schmidt and Bush eased the transition. I don't think having those two guys necessarily equate to our giving the fullbacks 50% fewer carries than last year, though.
 #7078  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 pm
I think philosophy changed as Jackal said. Though I do think had we had Schmidt and Bush we woulda run a few more up the middle. I bet Neely and Harris and Kroeber improve over offseason w Coaching and weights. We might see a very few more fullback carries next year.

But not like we saw in 2017. It's not the same O philosophy

But yes, OL is always a work in progress and we were playing 5 Sophomores by years end ( Junior Godwin was out last two games). Next year OL is 5 Juniors and one Senior (Godwin) plus a few Hendrix-recruited young guys like Tomlin etc. should have more depth as we really only played 7/8 OL this year. Next year OL should be better
mathprofhiker liked this
 #7082  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:20 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 pm
I think philosophy changed as Jackal said. Though I do think had we had Schmidt and Bush we woulda run a few more up the middle. I bet Neely and Harris and Kroeber improve over offseason w Coaching and weights. We might see a very few more fullback carries next year.

But not like we saw in 2017. It's not the same O philosophy

But yes, OL is always a work in progress and we were playing 5 Sophomores by years end ( Junior Godwin was out last two games). Next year OL is 5 Juniors and one Senior (Godwin) plus a few Hendrix-recruited young guys like Tomlin etc. should have more depth as we really only played 7/8 OL this year. Next year OL should be better
I think these are different issues.

Yes, you want offensive linemen opening holes. The better they play, the better our inside run game will be.

I don't think better OL play is going to equate to more fullback carries. We will continue to run the ball inside because that is a key focal point of the offense. We do that because it forces the defense to contract and defend it, even if it doesn't look like it is working well. That opens up the play action game, option, and edge attack where Furman's offense can be most lethal.

Furman ran a more classic "pro style" offense this season. In Cronic's offense, the fullback is the primary ball carrier. In Quarles' offense, he is not.

I will also say this. Having watched the conference this year, I think Furman has the most complex offensive scheme in the league. Returning virtually everyone on that side of the ball is going to pay huge dividends next year.
Jasper, furman88 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.