• Searching for the right transfer

#69972  by saltyshaker
 Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm
one more comment about shedrick who i think would be the perfect fit if we could get him.he would be a grad transfer with 2 years elgibility.perfect fit for our new masters program as well as 6'11" 231lb center.
apaladin liked this
 #69985  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm
one more comment about shedrick who i think would be the perfect fit if we could get him.he would be a grad transfer with 2 years elgibility.perfect fit for our new masters program as well as 6'11" 231lb center.
Agree but prolly wishful thinking.
 #69993  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 am
We're clearly looking more at guards so far which if we can land a good experienced one makes the most sense..............

From our 9 man rotation this past season we lost one big in Slawson and one guard in Bothwell
Frontcourt:
We have 6'10 Repass coming off redshirt
We have 6'10 5th year player Lawrence hopefully healthy
We have 6'6 Molnar coming off redshirt

Backcourt:
We have 6'5 Humphries coming in as true freshman
We have 6'4 Bronson coming in as true freshman

Going after an experienced guard that can contribute big next year is the right route to go especially with how our offense plays up tempo.................
 #69999  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:07 am
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:00 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 am
I agree one thousand percent. Look at Jake Stephens who dominated our team. Yes, he did lose but still performed well. If FU ever wants to make a run at something more than a SOCON championship they need a true big man. If we are going for a shooter we need to be able to shoot better as a team. The only player that preformed well against SDSU was Alex Williams and he was the only one. By having a traditional big man, the shots may even open for our shooters.
We probably need to tweak something.

FAU. 26 3PA/game 36% from 3
UConn. 25.3 36%
Miami. 20 37%
SDSU. 19 34%
FU. 27 34%

If we are going to shoot more 3’s than the top teams and play with a small lineup, isn’t it obvious that we need to shoot a little better?
Yeah if only Bob Richey thought of that, have your team make more shots :lol:
Gee, didn’t think I would have to explain. The point is that if your percentage is lower like SDSU, maybe you take 19 3’s instead of 27. We take more 3’s than teams who shoot them 2 or 3 percentage points better. If we are going to continue to run a 3-focused offense, we probably would benefit from having a slightly better percentage.

So I think the thread is about which direction to go. If we stick to the same offense, we need a different kind of shooter. Another option is to go bigger and score more 2’s. The team that ran us out the gym uses more of that second approach.
 #70001  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:27 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Gee, didn’t think I would have to explain. The point is that if your percentage is lower like SDSU, maybe you take 19 3’s instead of 27. We take more 3’s than teams who shoot them 2 or 3 percentage points better. If we are going to continue to run a 3-focused offense, we probably would benefit from having a slightly better percentage.

So I think the thread is about which direction to go. If we stick to the same offense, we need a different kind of shooter. Another option is to go bigger and score more 2’s. The team that ran us out the gym uses more of that second approach.
You did explain, you're just completely wrong.

That's not how basketball or sports in general work. At all.

Richey already brings in the best players he can. So having more shooting means weakening other areas.

You don't say what things to de-prioritize. Therefore you're talking about a fantasy world that doesn't exist. It's stupid.
 #70006  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:12 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 am
We're clearly looking more at guards so far which if we can land a good experienced one makes the most sense..............

From our 9 man rotation this past season we lost one big in Slawson and one guard in Bothwell
Frontcourt:
We have 6'10 Repass coming off redshirt
We have 6'10 5th year player Lawrence hopefully healthy
We have 6'6 Molnar coming off redshirt

Backcourt:
We have 6'5 Humphries coming in as true freshman
We have 6'4 Bronson coming in as true freshman

Going after an experienced guard that can contribute big next year is the right route to go especially with how our offense plays up tempo.................
Lawrence will have 2 years of eligibility left, right?
 #70009  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:15 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:27 am
Furmanoid wrote:

You did explain, you're just completely wrong.

That's not how basketball or sports in general work. At all.

Richey already brings in the best players he can. So having more shooting means weakening other areas.

You don't say what things to de-prioritize. Therefore you're talking about a fantasy world that doesn't exist. It's stupid.
So if my team takes 25 3’s and the other team takes 25 3’s, it isn’t important who makes more of them. Sports don’t work that way? That’s some awesome pretzel logic you’ve got there.

Where did I say anything about bringing in MORE shooters? The thread assumes we are bringing somebody in, right? That’s the whole point of the discussion. So who’s it gonna be? What is wrong with hoping any shooters we bring in are better than the ones we’ve got? You honestly don’t think anybody in the world shoots more consistently than the guys we’ve got? Really? All we need is a couple more percentage points. I don’t share your negative evaluation of our recruiting situation. We can improve.

On the other hand, there’s a lot to be said for a big guy who controls the paint on defense, rebounds and can score easily against most teams. But that guy may force a change in the offense we run. So which is it gonna be?

So you don’t want a shooter or a big man. Interesting.
 #70013  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:31 am
Do you realize how insane it is to think that you've figured out a magical way to improve Furman's basketball team by looking at high-level statistics that you don't even understand? lol
 #70014  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:39 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:31 am
Do you realize how insane it is to think that you've figured out a magical way to improve Furman's basketball team by looking at high-level statistics that you don't even understand? lol
He understands
 #70020  by saltyshaker
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm
my thought is that we had the most trouble with teams that had a really solid big man.if we could pickup an experienced talented big in the portal who could help us i think that might be the best use of our available scholarship.we have two experienced guards at the point returning.foster can play the shooting guard .we have 2 freshman and a redshirt coming to add to swingmen with williams and hughley there as well.
hein and vanderlin are our returning bigs with lawrence and repass both question marks.there are 3 good experienced bigs in the portal who i think could add to our team one at virginia,one at bucknell,one at unc-charlotte.in my opinion a better use of scholarship than a guard.but i trust the coaches to make the correct choice to select the best available player who would be interested in coming here as well.
 #70025  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:13 pm
Game vs UVA their biggest scorer was their big man with 15 points. If we want to compete with Power 5 schools we need to get bigger at the 4 and 5. It shouldn't be a debate on what position. Big man it is.
 #70028  by Paul C
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:39 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Game vs UVA their biggest scorer was their big man with 15 points. If we want to compete with Power 5 schools we need to get bigger at the 4 and 5. It shouldn't be a debate on what position. Big man it is.
we beat UVA. On a shot from a guy whose 6'1"
apaladin, FU Hoopla liked this
 #70033  by tya1
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:03 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Their big man was their leading scorer but their normal three leading scorers were held under their seasonal averages.
Virginia was a 35% three point shooting team for the year but hit under 17% against the Paladins. Richey basically bet that the Cavaliers might not win by going inside. I think he won that gamble. Hard to stop everything but you don't have to stop everybody to win.
FU Hoopla liked this