• Southern Wesleyan

#6945  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Pleased to see Slawson get significant minutes.

Clark might be our most improved player
No kidding. Every time I say "Mounce is our most improved player", Tre Clark does something that makes me say wow.
Has to be Mounce since Clark didn't play last year, LOL.
 #6946  by tya1
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm
Comfortable win. Three point shooting is the great equalizer. We had a poor shooting night (5-21) and they had a good long range touch (11-28 .) If both teams hit their normal percentages it is a 40 point win. The one thing that should have been better was our ball handling, which was sloppy at times.

Good to see the bench get some significant playing time tonight. Seven players with more than 20 minutes and ten with double digit minutes.

6-0! Keep it going!
FUKA61 liked this
 #6951  by furpep
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58 am
Unlike others, I expected a letdown after the Villanova win. And as I have said before we need our guards to be "on" in order to really reach our potential. Jordan could not make a shot in the first half and the entire offense looked forced. Sloppy passes and turnovers. Still think our PG is an issue, but we were able to overcome all of this. Give credit to our opponent they played hard and scrappy and had our Coach left the starters in we probably win by 30+ since they started to play better in the 2nd half. Rafferty could have scored 50 if they had dumped the ball inside to him all night. But, I was happy to see the game in person, happy to see a nice sized crowd for the night before Christmas and happy to see a lot of Furman friends I have not seen for a while!!
 #6952  by Jasper
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 am
furpep wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58 am
Unlike others, I expected a letdown after the Villanova win. And as I have said before we need our guards to be "on" in order to really reach our potential. Jordan could not make a shot in the first half and the entire offense looked forced. Sloppy passes and turnovers. Still think our PG is an issue, but we were able to overcome all of this. Give credit to our opponent they played hard and scrappy and had our Coach left the starters in we probably win by 30+ since they started to play better in the 2nd half. Rafferty could have scored 50 if they had dumped the ball inside to him all night. But, I was happy to see the game in person, happy to see a nice sized crowd for the night before Christmas and happy to see a lot of Furman friends I have not seen for a while!!
I agree - very sloppy first half. seems like some heads were not into the game. That often happens after a big win. The fact that a Div. 2 team was nipping at our heels throughout the first half might serve as a "scare" for our kids.

Jordan is essentially a 3 point shooter and has a tendency to go from hot to cold, as many of them do. He is much better off the dribble this year though and I thought he played a decent game last night. I too am concerned with the PG position. We seem to have done a very good job in replacing 3 of the graduated players but the drop off from John Davis is significant. We need to get some point production from that position or it will eventually effect our whole offensive balance. Teams will drop off a non scorer to help out. The PG's are young and will hopefully improve as the season goes deeper and we get into tough league play, but I sure wish Jonathon Jean were still here.
 #6953  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 am
JL is in a mini-slump from 3. He is 3 for his last 24. He just needs to shoot his way out of it.
 #6974  by purplehorse
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 pm
I have said for many years that “shooters” who go to Duke and UNC score 20 points every night. Shooters at FU score 54 one game and 5 the next game.

A shame Andrew Taylor left school. I think we need another shooter.

This team has potential but we lost a lot of experience with Sibley, Davis, Beans and Fowler. That was also a considerable amount of outside firepower.
 #6980  by CharlieFU
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:56 am
Sibley was not a positive for the team last year.
 #6986  by Jasper
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:56 am
Sibley was not a positive for the team last year.
Unfortunately, that is true towards the end of the season. He went from POY in the league the previous year to the best player on the court against top 10 ranked Tennessee and then to the bench at season’s end. One of the strangest things I’ve ever seen in the game.
 #6989  by youwouldno
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:16 pm
Jasper wrote:
I agree - very sloppy first half. seems like some heads were not into the game. That often happens after a big win. The fact that a Div. 2 team was nipping at our heels throughout the first half might serve as a "scare" for our kids.

Jordan is essentially a 3 point shooter and has a tendency to go from hot to cold, as many of them do. He is much better off the dribble this year though and I thought he played a decent game last night. I too am concerned with the PG position. We seem to have done a very good job in replacing 3 of the graduated players but the drop off from John Davis is significant. We need to get some point production from that position or it will eventually effect our whole offensive balance. Teams will drop off a non scorer to help out. The PG's are young and will hopefully improve as the season goes deeper and we get into tough league play, but I sure wish Jonathon Jean were still here.
Jean wouldn't play much. He was always turnover-prone and that has continued at L-R. Nothing is more important at that position than avoiding turnovers. He's also not a shooter.

Guard play is an issue, exacerbated of course by Brown's injury. Hopefully, he can get healthy, and Lyons & Hunter continue adjusting to their increased responsibility. Bothwell has the potential to develop into a solid bench contributor as the season progresses.
Fessor, Jasper, apaladin liked this
 #6997  by furpep
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 am
To be honest, Bothwell looked the best of all the Guards the other night. I think he will be a good one!
apaladin liked this
 #7002  by Jasper
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:16 pm
Jasper wrote:

Jean wouldn't play much. He was always turnover-prone and that has continued at L-R. Nothing is more important at that position than avoiding turnovers. He's also not a shooter.

Guard play is an issue, exacerbated of course by Brown's injury. Hopefully, he can get healthy, and Lyons & Hunter continue adjusting to their increased responsibility. Bothwell has the potential to develop into a solid bench contributor as the season progresses.
I couldn't agree more with your comment about turnovers by a PG. A certain amount is expected simply because he handles the ball more than anyone else on the court. I disagree re JJ however. He is not a 3 point shooter but is an excellent penetrator and passer. Bothwell has excellent court sense and can score. He will get much better as the season goes on. No question we miss Brown despite the excellent start. Not only his scoring but his movement without the ball. There was a lot of standing around the perimeter in the Southern Wesleyan game. I hope is back in December for league play.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.