• NEXT YEAR

#69536  by Kitchen_bg
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:14 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 am
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm
I’d imagine Anderson and Whitt would like to be getting the lion’s share of minutes, somewhere. Neither seems to have a back up personality.

It may come to the point where Johnny Lawrence decides he doesn’t really feel like he will ever be durable enough to get on the court , and call it a career.

Another we have never seen get minutes is Repass, which makes you think he may do better with Jimmie Williams at Anderson… I could easily see two of these four moves happen if not all four.. Rhett lister is also gone, but he is a roster spot and you can always find an academic scholarship for a garrison type.
Repass will be good next year, he redshirted which is why he didn't get minutes
Word is he can’t play at the Furman pace.
 #69542  by KingPaladin
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:09 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
KingPaladin wrote:
Kitchen_bg wrote:
I’d imagine Anderson and Whitt would like to be getting the lion’s share of minutes, somewhere. Neither seems to have a back up personality.

It may come to the point where Johnny Lawrence decides he doesn’t really feel like he will ever be durable enough to get on the court , and call it a career.

Another we have never seen get minutes is Repass, which makes you think he may do better with Jimmie Williams at Anderson… I could easily see two of these four moves happen if not all four.. Rhett lister is also gone, but he is a roster spot and you can always find an academic scholarship for a garrison type.
I'm sure the same thing was said about Alex Williams coming into this year after his freshman year
 #69543  by Kitchen_bg
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:17 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:09 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
KingPaladin wrote:
Kitchen_bg wrote:

I'm sure the same thing was said about Alex Williams coming into this year after his freshman year
Naaa, he had a body transformation.
LB1987 liked this
 #69549  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:59 pm
stonemd wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:01 pm
While in SOCON, current members record on NCAA tourney:
UTC 3-12
1982 beat NCState
1997 beat Georgia and Illinois

VMI 3-3
1971 beat Duquesne
1976 beat Tn and DePaul

Furman 2-8

ETSU 1-7
1968 beat FSU (before joining socon)
1992 beat Arizona

Wofford 1-5, 2019 beat Seton Hall

UNCG 0-3
WCU 0-1

Before joining SOCON
Samford 0-2
Mercer 1-3, in 2014 beat Duke

Former member Davidson 8-13 while in SOCON, 8-16 overall

We are poised to become current SOCON team w most NCAA tourney wins in a few years!
How great it would be to become current SOCON team w most NCAA tourney wins by this time NEXT YEAR!
I realize "in a few years" is probably more realistic, but let's not limit our dreams for our program!
And "in a few years", let's surpass Davidson's 8 wins.
dornb liked this
 #69628  by Bootie
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:18 pm
I’ve got a request of some of the fine folks on this forum regarding next year.

If the team has a bad game or two, looks a little sloppy early on, or maybe unexpectedly loses a conference game that gives us something like a 10-5 record, do you think you might be able to refrain from acting like the season is doomed? :)
hypercycloid, MNORM, QCGlue and 5 others liked this
 #69629  by purplehorse
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:15 am
We were consistently inconsistent this year with intermittent droughts following us from the UTC Championship game last year to the San Diego State loss this year. Our best game by far was the Samford win down there where we hit our 3’s. We did not have the talent to do much better IMHO. A great year overall.

I think Bob’s biggest challenge is not coaching and developing who we have but recruiting better talent (pure shooters, a legitimate good big man etc.).
furpep liked this
 #69632  by Kitchen_bg
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:52 am
purplehorse wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:15 am
We were consistently inconsistent this year with intermittent droughts following us from the UTC Championship game last year to the San Diego State loss this year. Our best game by far was the Samford win down there where we hit our 3’s. We did not have the talent to do much better IMHO. A great year overall.

I think Bob’s biggest challenge is not coaching and developing who we have but recruiting better talent (pure shooters, a legitimate good big man etc.).
While “Bob” is out politicking to get money to build a new Timmons the recruiting falls mostly on the assistants (Chad, Jeremy, Tim). And do we not think 90 percent of the time that they do a great job for such a tiny school? Who would you say wouldn’t be a great mid major talent?
 #69725  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:01 am
In the interview Hoopla posted, it sounds like Clemson, S. Carolina and other P5 teams are still scared to play us. Pathetic bunch of coaches and teams.
 #69726  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:19 am
Every thread needs an appropriate musical interlude. This works well for this thread. ENJOY!

#69735  by Paul C
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:42 pm
This year was funny/odd in that it had 2 of the biggest wins we've had in the last 40 years, winning the SoCon Champ over UTC and then the amazing upset of UVA in the first round of the NCAA's...truly a dream come true year. But it also featured our 2 worst losses of the Bob Richey era....we had never lost to a team rated below #200 in his tenure and this year we lost to TWO teams rated in the 300's!!! (High Point and Citadel)

just to demonstrate Booties point that a bad loss here or there doesn't doom the season.....
dornb, AstroDin, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #69736  by furpop16
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Paul C wrote:
This year was funny/odd in that it had 2 of the biggest wins we've had in the last 40 years, ...the SoCon Champ over UTC and then the amazing upset of UVA ... But it also featured our 2 worst losses of the Bob Richey era... (High Point and Citadel)

just to demonstrate Booties point that a bad loss here or there doesn't doom the season.....

Yep, doesn't doom the season. But to your point it certainly was "funny/odd". If I recall correctly, CBR kinda chalked-up the Citadel loss as an "outlier" - their good night coupled with our bad night - while the previous losses (including High Point) he attributed to not having settled the rotation.

Which raises the question: how do other quality teams manage to avoid losses from an unsettled rotation? Going forward, will CBR ever try a 10-man rotation again? Regardless, will he attempt to more quickly identify the primary rotation and avoid a prolonged mixing-&-matching?
 #69737  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:32 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Paul C wrote:
This year was funny/odd in that it had 2 of the biggest wins we've had in the last 40 years, ...the SoCon Champ over UTC and then the amazing upset of UVA ... But it also featured our 2 worst losses of the Bob Richey era... (High Point and Citadel)

I think the following from Fran Fraschilla is pretty dead-on: "In a roughly 35 game season, you have 5 games where you play above your head, 5 when you stink and the other 25 are who you are. Sometimes the key to a great season is to win those games when you don't play well."
Yep, doesn't doom the season. But to your point it certainly was "funny/odd". If I recall correctly, CBR kinda chalked-up the Citadel loss as an "outlier" - their good night coupled with our bad night - while the previous losses (including High Point) he attributed to not having settled the rotation.

Which raises the question: how do other quality teams manage to avoid losses from an unsettled rotation? Going forward, will CBR ever try a 10-man rotation again? Regardless, will he attempt to more quickly identify the primary rotation and avoid a prolonged mixing-&-matching?
 #69742  by tya1
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:30 pm
That High Point loss was the perfect illustration of the 5 games where you play over your head. HP was 8-1 after that win. They followed up with an 8 game losing streak and by losing 14 of their next 17. They were a 32% three point shooting team for the season but somehow hit 65% against the Paladins. Their leading scorer, House, scored 29 points - his second best game of the season. (Had 33 against Wofford.) He hit less than 28% of his threes for the season but was 3-3 against us. Probably their best game of the year and we still lost by only 3.
 #70503  by fu77fan
 Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:22 pm
I think Western Carolina will be the pre season favorite next year. I believe that they have essentially everyone back except their big man. Now that they apparently have a big man - transfer from LSU in the portal, I think they might be the team to beat.