Kitchen_bg wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:41 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:35 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:54 am
Richey is upfront about his ambitions, and ruining his career so he can chill with his Clemson friends doesn't sound consistent with those ambitions.

If Clemson moved to the SEC, it could change. But I don't know how likely that is in the next couple years.

Clemson wouldn't have retained Brownell if they could have gotten someone better. Pretty simple.
You are right about CBR being upfront about his ambitions.. he and his agent have both been upfront about him wanting to go hang out with his friends at Clemson.
Silly comment. It is unbelievable for someone to criticize our coach for just having great friends that happen to have a connection to Clemson. Our coach has great friends with a lot of connections. He is like a magnet that way. It's a wonderful quality to have.
I was in no way being critical. Was just sayin Richey has been open about his wanting of the Clemson job if and when it opens.
Just to be clear, Coach Richey has never said in public that he wants that job. He has said that he would go in whatever direction God sends him. I have no doubt he is sincere when he says that.

Meanwhile, back to Timmons, I sure wish the funds could be raised this week, with the announcement coming the following week that work is beginning. Why wait?
No he has perhaps not said it publicly, but it has been published… so we can imagine it has been said.. but yeah, LETS RAISE THESE TIMMONS FUNDS AND RENAME IT RICHEY ARENA!!!
 #69671  by Kitchen_bg
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:52 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:38 pm
If Richey wanted to be Clemson coach that bad he already would be.
Can’t have two head coaches… but I love the confidence you have in CBR. We all seem to agree that we love him!
 #69680  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:23 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Can’t have two head coaches… but I love the confidence you have in CBR. We all seem to agree that we love him!

Clemson easily could have terminated Brownell. The reason they retained him is because *no* top coaching prospects want to go there.
FU69 liked this
 #69681  by Kitchen_bg
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:25 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Kitchen_bg wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Clemson easily could have terminated Brownell. The reason they retained him is because *no* top coaching prospects want to go there.
Other than CBR
 #69682  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:27 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:25 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Kitchen_bg wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Other than CBR

:roll:
 #69686  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:35 pm
For as long as Clemson has hung on to Brownell, I would think that would be a very desirable job. You can be very mediocre and not be fired.

And as far as Richey goes - At some point an opportunity will arise for CBR where Furman can't compete with the money and opportunity that a large school is going to offer. Glad Furman locked him up now. Best case is he stays for a long time. Worst case we pocket a buyout.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #69689  by Davemeister
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:50 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:45 pm
Just to be clear, Coach Richey has never said in public that he wants that job. He has said that he would go in whatever direction God sends him. I have no doubt he is sincere when he says that.

I don't doubt CBR's sincerity. I have heard a number of pastors say the same thing. Seems like they are always "led" to larger churchs that pay higher salaries.

Let's enjoy Coach while we have him. The offer he can't refuse is right around the corner.
bj93, Kitchen_bg liked this
 #69694  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:44 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
For as long as Clemson has hung on to Brownell, I would think that would be a very desirable job. You can be very mediocre and not be fired.

And as far as Richey goes - At some point an opportunity will arise for CBR where Furman can't compete with the money and opportunity that a large school is going to offer. Glad Furman locked him up now. Best case is he stays for a long time. Worst case we pocket a buyout.

There's no chance Richey's contract includes a meaningful buyout provision.

Clemson hired Brownell after 3 seasons at Wright State and zero NCAA appearances. No one wanted the job even after Purnell had them solidly on the fringes of the top 25. Also the ACC was relatively stronger back then. And Purnell left for one of the weakest programs in any of the power conferences.

The reason is apparently difficult for some to grasp - it might just be hard to conceptualize once your IQ drops below a certain point. But the basic idea is that any credible candidate for the Clemson job either already has or soon will have better options.
 #69695  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:58 pm
youwouldno wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Clemson hired Brownell after 3 seasons at Wright State and zero NCAA appearances. No one wanted the job even after Purnell had them solidly on the fringes of the top 25. Also the ACC was relatively stronger back then. And Purnell left for one of the weakest programs in any of the power conferences.

The reason is apparently difficult for some to grasp - it might just be hard to conceptualize once your IQ drops below a certain point. But the basic idea is that any credible candidate for the Clemson job either already has or soon will have better options.
There is good discussion on Bob Richey in the Bob Richey thread. I think you are wrong on the buyout clause. JD is too good and smart of an AD to not include a meaningful buyout clause. He knows how those things work. That is all I will say.

Back to Timmons...
FUBeAR, paladinfan12 liked this
 #69698  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

There is a buyout in Richey's contract. South Carolina paid a $450,000 buyout to Chattanooga for Lamont Paris. CSU paid Drake $425,000 for Niko Medved, and Alabama paid $750K to Buffalo when it hired Nate Oats. Nearly every coach who receives a multi-year contract in America has one. We'll never know, but I am sure that Richey has a substantial one, especially if he leaves in the next 1-2 years.

Say what you want about the Clemson job, but Brownell makes nearly $3 million a year until 2026. Clemson recently renovated Littlejohn, has a substantial donor base, and plays in a top 5 conference that routinely sends 6-9 teams to the tournament. It certainly isn't the best job around, but I can think of several competent coaches who would jump at the chance to make $3 million per year if that job opened up. Only problem is - they have remained dumbfoundedly loyal to Brownell for 13 years.
 #69703  by Kitchen_bg
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 pm
I would imagine Richey just got the best SoCon contract of all time ( since he didnt become the next head shocker), and I would imagine it looks just like what pat Kelsey just got. Wild guess.
 #69708  by Bootie
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:56 pm
palafan wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:00 pm
I'd rather us play all games at the Well and use the 40 million for coaches salaries etc. so we can attract and keep coaches like Clay and Bob.
I don’t know about that… it prolly costs a bit to play games there, plus you’d lose a big chunk, maybe 90% of the students who currently come to Timmons.
 #69803  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:27 am
Bootie wrote:
palafan wrote:
I'd rather us play all games at the Well and use the 40 million for coaches salaries etc. so we can attract and keep coaches like Clay and Bob.
I don’t know about that… it prolly costs a bit to play games there, plus you’d lose a big chunk, maybe 90% of the students who currently come to Timmons.

Agree, we always want to have energy and a good size crowd when playing there, so focusing on about 3 games per year downtown is the best way to be able to maximize marketing to make sure each time we do play there its a great environment.
Of course I am talking about once full Timmons renovation is done.
 #69806  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:43 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:27 am
Bootie wrote:
palafan wrote:

Agree, we always want to have energy and a good size crowd when playing there, so focusing on about 3 games per year downtown is the best way to be able to maximize marketing to make sure each time we do play there its a great environment.
Of course I am talking about once full Timmons renovation is done.
That’s right - better to “do it right” 3 times, each separated by several weeks. Makes it a bigger deal for all concerned, not just Furman but also downtown business and restaurants (not that downtown needs any help, we just want it to be easier to remember “Furman basketball here this specific date & opponent … & this one … & this one”; again TO MAKE IT A BIG DEAL, as big as we can, something WE are really excited about, make the excitement contagious to the downtown scene, media, etc.).
FU Hoopla, apaladin liked this