• Bigger Venue

#69643  by NEPA
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 am
Being a season ticket holder, i absolutely feel that Timmons needs a big time upgrade. With all the success this year in winning the Socon and a March Madness game, having such a talented HC in Bob Richey that has a future plan for Furman basketball, a university President that to me seems 100% behind the basketball program and a growing population in Greenville and the surrounding areas that upgrading Timmons between 2500 and 3000 capacity might be to small. Even if it takes a year , two or three for donations would it be better to have 4500 to 5000 seating ? I personally prefer attending basketball games on the campus and in a smaller arena than the Well, which is fine for 2 or 3 games a year. Just my thoughts, that basically staying at the same capacity might be a major mistake down the road.
 #69648  by Davemeister
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:11 am
Is his most recent "Ask The AD", JD said a school usually builds an indoor facility for roughly the size of its student body. Then he added FU is planning to increase its enrollment. That being the case, we should build for 3K at bare minimum.

Whatever we do is what we are going to live with for the next 25-30 years.
 #69690  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:15 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:11 am
Is his most recent "Ask The AD", JD said a school usually builds an indoor facility for roughly the size of its student body. Then he added FU is planning to increase its enrollment. That being the case, we should build for 3K at bare minimum.

Whatever we do is what we are going to live with for the next 25-30 years.
Exactly and I am afraid the Timmons mistake 25 years ago will be repeated by building a too small facility when we are already selling out at 2500 and no room to grow. The student body thingy doesn’t work. IN WC case they more than doubled student enrollment with their facility.
 #69691  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:17 pm
As a student the current student population does not show up to games. There is no need to increase the size banking on students to show up. The lack of enthusiasm for sports on campus is terriable.
 #69692  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:25 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
As a student the current student population does not show up to games. There is no need to increase the size banking on students to show up. The lack of enthusiasm for sports on campus is terriable.
I have a good feeling that has changed. See you and the rest of the students at the games next year. By the way, football deserves that support too.
 #69696  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 pm
I don’t think so. The majority of their school would rather read books than go to games. I know this after trying to get people to go to games.
 #69697  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:20 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
FU Hoopla, fupaladin01 liked this
 #69706  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:44 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
I am sure any increase in seats would not be because of banking on an increase in student attendance. That increase would hopefully come from the Greenville community.
dornb liked this
 #69707  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:47 pm
That I can get behind. I find it extremely hard to wrap my head around expanding too much hoping that students show up when the current students don’t even show up. The Greenville community is far more consistent when it comes to attendance than the students. For me it’s hard to show up on a Wenesday game due to school.
 #69709  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
That I can get behind. I find it extremely hard to wrap my head around expanding too much hoping that students show up when the current students don’t even show up. The Greenville community is far more consistent when it comes to attendance than the students. For me it’s hard to show up on a Wenesday game due to school.
Wednesday games do stink crowd wise no doubt..............

Regarding overall student support though, actually the students show up a thousand times better than they did 8 years ago, its not easy at FU but its been proven that it grows every year on students interest level, I expect that to slowly keep building with more and more success...................
 #69710  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:08 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
The Duke students don't seem to have a problem showing up on a Wednesday night.
 #69713  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 pm
Hate to say it but that’s the way it is on campus. Not my opinion but the majority of students would rather do their homework than go to a Wenesday night game against VMI.
 #69716  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:08 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
The Duke students don't seem to have a problem showing up on a Wednesday night.
Duke (16,780) has a lot more students than Furman (2,600). Duke games are consistently against much higher profile teams, and the games are consistently more hyped. I believe that a significant number of the seats in Cameron are allocated for students to be very near courtside. Duke students who find that they cannot make it to a particular game due to necessary school work can much more easily and much more lucratively sell their tickets than Furman students can. I salute the Furman students. Not many of them chose to attend Furman due to loving basketball. I expect that numerous Duke students may have chosen Duke partially due to loving high-level basketball that gets a tremendous amount of national exposure, with a significant national history, played in a home arena that oozes history. AGAIN, I SALUTE EVERY SINGLE FURMAN STUDENT WHO ATTENDS A FURMAN GAME IN SUPPORT OF FURMAN! (And for those who do not attend games, I encourage them to do so!)
 #69721  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:28 am
When I watch Furman games when school is back in session, it always seems like a pretty robust student turnout, especially on the weekends.

I remember not that long ago that there was very little concerted effort for students to attend, no assigned section for their attendance, and the limited numbers that showed up were sort of scattered around the arena.

Besides, let's stand back and see what some national exposure does for attendance.
KingPaladin, dornb liked this
 #69724  by KingPaladin
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:28 am
When I watch Furman games when school is back in session, it always seems like a pretty robust student turnout, especially on the weekends.

I remember not that long ago that there was very little concerted effort for students to attend, no assigned section for their attendance, and the limited numbers that showed up were sort of scattered around the arena.

Besides, let's stand back and see what some national exposure does for attendance.
It's definitely way better than it used to be, as a student I know the team tries to do a great job giving stuff out around campus to promote games on gameday too. Plus a new arena would definitely keep students wanting to come, provided the seats are similar to what they are now