• Off Season SOCON Transfer tracker

#69534  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:24 pm
Found an article from 2 days ago from his local paper talking about his experience during the season and the upset of UVA. It said he was playing 10 minutes a game before hurting his back which is honestly more than I thought.

I think if you assume Pegues and Whitt are both back, then there aren't a ton of minutes for Joe going forward most likely. Wish he would have stayed as I always like his game, but understand the desire to move on to a place you are likely to play more than 10 minutes a game.
Davemeister, dornb, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #69535  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:55 pm
Yes, always like his energy, defense and ball handling. His shooting did tail off a bit. Wish him well. Wolfpacker-in 19 games he averaged 10.8 mpg.
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #69539  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am
You only get one transfer, after that you have to sit a year unless you can get a special exemption. Graduates can transfer anywhere without sitting a year.
Special exemption will be granted by the NCAA if Student Athletes claim someone once looked at them funny while they were walking to class, or that the dining hall does not offer their preferred steak sauce, or that they once saw a bunny under a bush on campus. Student Athletes must feel safe on their campuses.

FU69, apaladin liked this
 #69553  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 pm
Knew Anderson was going to transfer out, makes sense for him.

Look for Furman to add a proven D2 player that will instantly help us contend yet again next season! :D

Boom!
 #69572  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:03 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm
Do we need a big guy that can add some physicality or a proven shooting guard?

What does everybody think?
Repass is coming off redshirt year, he should be able to give us bench depth in frontcourt next year.

I think a shooting guard with size would be the way to go, for example we were already looking at a 6'5 D2 player that had been putting up about 15ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 point range, think that will be the type guy we go after.
dornb, KingPaladin liked this
 #69586  by Paladin91
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 am
Hate to see Anderson transfer out - always admired his attitude and hard work. I know I was critical of him in Year 1, but he really made a leap during his sophomore year, especially in ball handling.

I'd still like to see us pick up a big man that can fill some of what Slawson was doing. I think one of the Freshman guards coming in will help on shooting - they seem pretty talented. I trust CBR will find talent that can immediately help the team. I do think having made the NCAA tourney, we can probably attract a player with better skills than at the top of the D2 level.
 #69599  by tya1
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:04 pm
I mentioned him earlier in this thread - I really like Garrett Johnson, the 6'8" wing/sf from Princeton who recently entered the portal. He is an excellent fit for Richey's schemes, has four years of eligibility because he had to sit for two years due to a serious health issue, was offered by Furman in high school, and despite his talents probably won't get much attention from many power conference schools because of the two year hiatus and health questions. He had many mid-major offers but not any P5 offers, if any, three years ago. I suspect he might need a year to regain his form, which is not a problem for Richey. I think he has real star power potential.
 #69602  by Kitchen_bg
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:14 pm
tya1 wrote:
I mentioned him earlier in this thread - I really like Garrett Johnson, the 6'8" wing/sf from Princeton who recently entered the portal. He is an excellent fit for Richey's schemes, has four years of eligibility because he had to sit for two years due to a serious health issue, was offered by Furman in high school, and despite his talents probably won't get much attention from many power conference schools because of the two year hiatus and health questions. He had many mid-major offers but not any P5 offers, if any, three years ago. I suspect he might need a year to regain his form, which is not a problem for Richey. I think he has real star power potential.
I don’t think it would be a great idea to have two Johnny Lawrences. With a lack of size and ball handling and frankly consistent shooting, we may need someone who can have more of an immediate impact.
 #69609  by tya1
 Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:07 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:14 pm
tya1 wrote:
I don’t think it would be a great idea to have two Johnny Lawrences. With a lack of size and ball handling and frankly consistent shooting, we may need someone who can have more of an immediate impact.
Do you play the long game or look to a quick fix? No easy answer. Johnson had two dozen offers in HS, many from the A10, Ivy League, and CAA. I have no idea if he is interested or if Furman is looking, but...
Here is a highlight video from a 32 point game he had as a junior - lot of potential.
LINK

In other portal news, 6'11" Burke Smith is looking to leave Boise State. Another guy we were after at one time.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.