• Is it me, or does the school show much more love for b-ball

#69494  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm
Got an email from the President after our bball team won the first playoff then lost the second. I know this is the first time in 43 years, but didn’t our football team have the same experience 4 months ago? Was there a email about the quality of our kids and our season? Or a tweet about greeting them when they return?
March Madness versus FCS playoff publicity is not even a comparison. But our own school should be be equally supportive of their successes.
FU69 liked this
 #69496  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:20 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Got an email from the President after our bball team won the first playoff then lost the second. I know this is the first time in 43 years, but didn’t our football team have the same experience 4 months ago? Was there a email about the quality of our kids and our season? Or a tweet about greeting them when they return?
March Madness versus FCS playoff publicity is not even a comparison. But our own school should be be equally supportive of their successes.
I'd say that our football team has had more success over the years in making the FCS playoffs. It was the first time in 43 yrs that the basketball team made it to March Madness. No knock on football, but the FCS playoffs will never get the national attention of March Madness. I can't speak for ED, but basketball is also in a fundraising campaign to redo the arena. I imagine we also want to keep Bob Richey.
'Din Djarin, Kitchen_bg, FU69 and 2 others liked this
 #69500  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:15 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kitchen_bg liked this
 #69512  by gman84
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 am
Look, I don't think we should start a football vs basketball conversation. President Davis sent out a letter about our basketball success and it's importance to all aspects of the university. I'll take it at face value. The university is in a much more favorable position than three years ago, particularly involving athletics. Let's enjoy it!
FUBeAR, din23, FU Hoopla and 5 others liked this
 #69520  by 'Din Djarin
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:03 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
March Madness versus FCS playoff publicity is not even a comparison.
I think you answered your own question here.

A lot of you are probably like me and care more about football than you do about basketball, so we're going to have to accept the fact that Furman wants to be a basketball school. AD Jason Donnelly has all but said that exact statement. At first, this made me bristle, but at this point, I'm 100% on board. I want Furman to be excellent at things, and basketball is fine thing at which to be excellent. Plus, our football team is still really, really good and we're looking at a really special season coming up soon. I don't think becoming a "basketball school" means we automatically have to sacrifice quality football. In fact, it's possible that raising the status of one of our other revenue sports lifts the status of the others along with it.
Roundball, gman84, din23 and 4 others liked this
 #69538  by tim
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
At the selection show ED said that the way to raise university profile was BASKETBALL!! I was trying to parse a college president saying something in that manner when she seemed to take credit for increased basketball attendance which is pure bullshit, essence of bullshit. I had never heard her speak before, I understand her better now. Furman can be good in both sports.
FU69 liked this
 #69658  by Thorny
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:06 pm
If you support Furman but don't follow Furman sports religiously it's a lot easier to explain/understand/frame Furman beat Virginia in March Madness than Furman beat W&M in the Semi-finals in a division of D1 football that no one understands outside of dedicated FCS followers.
 #69660  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:23 pm
Thorny wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:06 pm
Furman beat W&M in the Semi-finals in a division of D1 football
Love the prediction. Moving those April Houston hotel reservations to Frisco, TX next January!
Mr. Taggart, QCGlue liked this
 #69665  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:51 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
At the selection show ED said that the way to raise university profile was BASKETBALL!! I was trying to parse a college president saying something in that manner when she seemed to take credit for increased basketball attendance which is pure bullshit, essence of bullshit. I had never heard her speak before, I understand her better now. Furman can be good in both sports.
You listened to that speech and took away that she thinks she should get credit for increased attendance? Wow, that is a stretch. I did not get that at all. What I got was only that she supports the basketball program. By the way, she also supports football. She knows the importance of both sports to Furman University.
 #69717  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 am
In current (end of this season) rankings* of
all D-1 schools in basketball and in football:
-Furman is in the top 23% in basketball
and
-Furman is in the top 44% in football.
For a school of Furman’s size and resources, both of those are high rankings.
Be very thankful for where we are!
(*Sagarin)
Davemeister, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #69719  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 am
In current (end of this season) rankings* of
all D-1 schools in basketball and in football:
-Furman is in the top 23% in basketball
and
-Furman is in the top 44% in football.
For a school of Furman’s size and resources, both of those are high rankings.
Be very thankful for where we are!
(*Sagarin)
* Top 8% in FCS Football in Sagarin
* Top 42% in D1 Football in Massey
* Top 6% in FCS Football in Massey
* Top 22% in D1 Hoops in Massey
* Top 25% in D1 Hoops in Massey Composite

ALL GOOD
dornb, gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.