• NEXT YEAR

#69411  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 pm
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:37 pm
I think what we learned from this, really if we are being honest, we can do this every year, but this is the cap.. and a great cap for such a small school. Exciting and fun to be a part of. How many students does SDSU have, idk maybe 30 some thousand, more? With Probly half the academic restrictions and state tuition..

It’s a lot more than just walking up to the transfer portal and telling it what you would like and it poppin it out to you like a vending machine. A lot of things have to add up. Great year, great team, great coach.
If Furman wants to become a "mini Gonzaga," it won't ever happen with "a cap". That kind of thinking will get you nowhere. You have to set the bar higher than that. No, the transfer portal isn't a vending machine, but you can pick up a player or two that can strengthen your team. Look at SDSU, I think 3 of their starters were transfers. Look at College of Charleston, another school with quite.a few transfers. Conley Garrison helped us out a lot two years ago. Carter Whitt less so, but a much younger player that is still developing. We don't want to become Transfer U, but if we can pick up a mature, physical player to strengthen the team, go for it!
dornb, bj93 liked this
 #69423  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:08 pm
Does anyone have an update on Eddrin and Tommy? From what I’ve seen from Eddrin I believe he could get serious playing time similar to vanderwal this year. Wonder if David Molanr will play next year.
 #69428  by Kitchen_bg
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:08 pm
I think if you rewatch the SDSU game, in the second half, you can tell CBR is thinkin the same thing.. it is capped..“hey guys, why are we not slappin each other fives and smilin?” He asked…

So the look in his eyes and the words from
His mouth say it’s capped, and knowing CBR and that he has what is known as a CEO personality, I think being realistic is the best way to be for sure!
Because if he could go further with it, he would, but there are just players you can’t get at FU.
It was a great run, a great year and a great coach, but I don’t see myself being wrong on this one.

Another thing to mention is how much NIL is being passed out? I would imagine not a GG Jackson amount… don’t forget to take that into account in your transfer portal ideas!
FU69 liked this
 #69429  by Dins&Heels
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 pm
You are way off on CBR’s mindset as far as his vision for FU basketball…I can 100% assure you. He’s not viewing this season as a cap but something to build on and he’s going to have the university and booster support more than ever now that they’ve had a taste of that success and exposure. Do I think we have a chance to be the next Gonzaga? No. But with this success, the renovated arena etc we’re going to be in the game for a higher level of recruits in my opinion. Even FU will adapt to NIL and the portal as best as they’re able obviously.
din23, Mr. Taggart, dornb liked this
 #69430  by Kitchen_bg
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 am
Dins&Heels wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 pm
You are way off on CBR’s mindset as far as his vision for FU basketball…I can 100% assure you. He’s not viewing this season as a cap but something to build on and he’s going to have the university and booster support more than ever now that they’ve had a taste of that success and exposure. Do I think we have a chance to be the next Gonzaga? No. But with this success, the renovated arena etc we’re going to be in the game for a higher level of recruits in my opinion. Even FU will adapt to NIL and the portal as best as they’re able obviously.
Your view of him is shortsighted. He wants to be a national champion, he can’t do that at FU no matter how big they build Timmons. So I can assure you that YOU are way off on his mindset.
 #69432  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:48 am
One thing about next year, with MB and JS missing it might be a little easier for CBR to schedule. Heck even Clempson might have the courage to play us. Then again, prolly not.
FU69, QCGlue liked this
 #69435  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 am
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:08 pm
I think if you rewatch the SDSU game, in the second half, you can tell CBR is thinkin the same thing.. it is capped..“hey guys, why are we not slappin each other fives and smilin?” He asked…

So the look in his eyes and the words from
His mouth say it’s capped, and knowing CBR and that he has what is known as a CEO personality, I think being realistic is the best way to be for sure!
Because if he could go further with it, he would, but there are just players you can’t get at FU.
It was a great run, a great year and a great coach, but I don’t see myself being wrong on this one.

Another thing to mention is how much NIL is being passed out? I would imagine not a GG Jackson amount… don’t forget to take that into account in your transfer portal ideas!
What is this “cap” you speak of?
 #69443  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 am
Getting the team back to the Big Dance next year will be the driving force for Coach Richey. I love this quote from Bob.

"Now that we've been here ... it changes a little bit what you're aiming for," Richey said. "Failure is something that forces you to respond. What we went through last year, we knew we were going to respond to that.

"Sometimes what can success can do is, it can make you complacent. I think the challenge going forward for us is to understand this has to make us hungrier. This has to push us every day to want to get back here."
dornb liked this
 #69446  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:11 am
There are a lot of truly great cbb coaches...It's about what you want to be remembered for...Bob Richey has already done something for FU basketball that has never been done before...Win a game in the 68-team tournament as the FU head coach...There isn't really a limit to where it can go, but only limiting beliefs in where it can...Not my words.
Roundball, furpop16, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #69447  by furpop16
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 am
Anybody know when a SoCon entrant recently won a 1st-round game? Someone posted Wofford, but the year escapes me. Any others? Any ‘Sweet-16”rs?
 #69449  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 am
Anybody know when a SoCon entrant recently won a 1st-round game? Someone posted Wofford, but the year escapes me. Any others? Any ‘Sweet-16”rs?
Davidson is the only other one that pops to mind.
 #69453  by KingPaladin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 am
Kitchen_bg wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm
I’d imagine Anderson and Whitt would like to be getting the lion’s share of minutes, somewhere. Neither seems to have a back up personality.

It may come to the point where Johnny Lawrence decides he doesn’t really feel like he will ever be durable enough to get on the court , and call it a career.

Another we have never seen get minutes is Repass, which makes you think he may do better with Jimmie Williams at Anderson… I could easily see two of these four moves happen if not all four.. Rhett lister is also gone, but he is a roster spot and you can always find an academic scholarship for a garrison type.
Repass will be good next year, he redshirted which is why he didn't get minutes
cavedweller2 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.