• Furman vs. San Diego St. (March 18th 12:10pm Orlando, FL)

#69339  by purplehorse
 Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:16 pm
Have not read other comments.

Charles Barkley summed it up-grown men against college kids and we were completely out-matched physicality wise. SDSU was superior athletically and dominated us.

Recurring theme of season-inconsistency on offense. You cannot go over 11 minutes without a FG. Of course today SDSU did have a great offense.

Great season. Great tourney championship. Great historic NCAA win over UVA. Great experience today. Great coach. Great team members and players. Great people! Great future for Furman in basketball!
dornb, rangab, bj93 and 1 others liked this
 #69340  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:25 pm
Agree, SDS was an old team. We were still our own worse enemy. Season lows or close to it.
52 points
32% fg
23% 3 point
7 assists
25 rebounds
SDS only had 69 points with a minute to play. We hit a few of those wide open shots and we’re in the game, captain obvious and easier said than done. Just can’t go 7 minutes without scorng and 11 minutes without a basket.
 #69348  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:26 pm
CBR alluded to what I posted elsewhere. We were up 16-12, playing well, and we foul a 3 point shooter and he said that just seemed to take away our energy. Never understand why anyone fouls a 3 point shooter, especially if you are not in position. You should never run or lunge at a 3 point shooter. May not have mattered but we would have had the ball up 4 instead of up 1. After MB went 1-2 at the line the drought was on.
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #69361  by FurmAlum
 Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 pm
My analysis on this game is what Barkley said too. The SDSU defense was as good as any I've seen all year and they played well on offense too. But we had some open looks in the first half and just couldn't get our shots to go down.

Every SDSU player looked like they were 20 pounds heavier and 3 years older than the corresponding FU player.

I don't think we can blame this game on the Refs but Slawson got called for some ticky tack fouls while SDSU was allowed to play very physical. I don't know what he said to get that technical but I kinda don't blame him.

I stayed and watched the first half of the UT Duke game and it was the same way. UT played great physical defense and much better offense than they have been playing. I left and was not surprised when I found out UT had won. The 4 Duke freshman are good players but all looked skinny compared to UT.

I don't think the Tourney can be won anymore with 4 freshmen starters like Duke has been trying to do the last 10 years. The Covid rule and the transfer portal has changed things enabling teams to use older more experienced players. And that has resulted in parity in college basketball.

Thanks Furman players and coaches for such a memorable season. Slaw's and Both's jerseys deserve to be hanging from the rafters.
dornb, FU Hoopla liked this
 #69366  by fu77fan
 Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Furman was ahead at the 10 minute mark of the 1st half and tied with 9 minutes left in the half. Then the bottom fell out. We got outplayed, out rebounded, etc etc etc.
The ball did not bounce our way. It was simply not our day. How much of this was secondary to SDSU, I am not certain. But my observation was that they looked very strong. While I wish we had played better, there are 32 teams who wish they had gotten to the round of 32 like we did. I think we should be proud of having a great season.

I look forward to next season.Assuming everyone returns, we should have a great core of players returning. We will need some of the newbies to get better!

Go Dins
dornb liked this
 #69367  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:23 am
Offense was not the word to describe today’s games. Only 3 of the 16 teams reached 75 points: SDS -75, Princeton-78 and Houston-81. Three teams scored under 55: Maryland 51, Furman-52, Duke-52. The whole tournament has been below normal scoring wise.
 #69370  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:45 am
Gotta give credit to SDSU. They outplayed us.

We knew they were going to be tough defensively. What really set them apart was they just never slowed down offensively. Hard to beat a good team just in complete synch on both ends of the floor.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see SDSU make a deep run. They were the best team I’d seen us play this year.
bj93, dornb liked this
 #69387  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:23 am
Offense was not the word to describe today’s games. Only 3 of the 16 teams reached 75 points: SDS -75, Princeton-78 and Houston-81. Three teams scored under 55: Maryland 51, Furman-52, Duke-52. The whole tournament has been below normal scoring wise.
Was Furman’s 52 our lowest scoring of the entire year? What about the Duke and the MD scoring, was that the lowest for each of those?
 #69509  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:37 am
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:47 pm
When they bang 3's like that, and we can't, you know it's just not our day.
They only shot 6-20 from three. That’s poor. 30%.

We lost because they are just flat out better. Tougher. They had
41 rebounds. We had 24. That’s pushing us around like we didn’t quite belong at their level. We didn’t. And the scout on them is how long physical and tough they are. I saw many analysts had them as a sweet 16 team. They are tough - so strong and physical. Impressive

They had 17 assists. We had 7. Ouch.

GREAT SEASON. BEST EVER. but we are not SDSU. Which makes me sad for my son at CofC because Charleston could have beaten SDSU. So close. Then we got manhandled. We did.

I wanted a Furman CofC matchup. :D