• FCS PLAYOFFS

#64062  by MNORM
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:12 pm
I think the playoff was only 4 teams in 1978.
…….and there were only about 15-20 1-AA teams.

There were 43.
 #64067  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:36 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:12 pm
I think the playoff was only 4 teams in 1978.
…….and there were only about 15-20 1-AA teams.

There were 43.
Yes go back and read my post, I had corrected it. All moved up from D2 to form 1-AA. The SoCon first year in 1-AA was 1982.
 #65976  by gofurman
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:40 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 pm
I know this will never happen but 2 things that could cure the bias thing would be:

1. Don't have a poll until after the 5th game.

2. Play all playoff games after the first 2 rounds at a neutral site. Kind of like the NCAA basketball tournament.
This is one thing the FBS boys have right.. I love our playoffs - settle it on the field (for the most part) but pre-season polls are sh*t. As we all know, start at number 30 and go 4-1 you are number 23. Start at number 7 and go 4-1 vs same comp you are still number 7.

I would argue with FBS money games skewing our records , that we def don't poll untl at least 5 games and maybe 6 have transpired. Fans (AGS) can have polls but like the CFP there should not be an official one until October sometime
 #65978  by FUBeAR
 Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:31 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:40 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:18 pm
I know this will never happen but 2 things that could cure the bias thing would be:

1. Don't have a poll until after the 5th game.

2. Play all playoff games after the first 2 rounds at a neutral site. Kind of like the NCAA basketball tournament.
This is one thing the FBS boys have right.. I love our playoffs - settle it on the field (for the most part) but pre-season polls are sh*t. As we all know, start at number 30 and go 4-1 you are number 23. Start at number 7 and go 4-1 vs same comp you are still number 7.

I would argue with FBS money games skewing our records , that we def don't poll untl at least 5 games and maybe 6 have transpired. Fans (AGS) can have polls but like the CFP there should not be an official one until October sometime
Officially, the only “official” FCS poll is the 1-8 ranking released in latter November when the Playoff Selection sets the Top 8 seeds for the FCS Playoffs.

Officially, the only poll the FCS Playoff Selection Committee MAY (or may not) consider, at their option, is the FCS Coaches Poll.

[From the NCAA website…]What does the Selection Committee look at in its process?

For information on selecting, seeding, and bracketing teams, the committee may consider comparative data of individual teams, including but not limited to:

7 other criteria
FCS Coaches Poll
1 other criterion

What you really want is…

…the Playoff Selection Committee to BEGIN releasing six sets of top 25 rankings weekly from the 2nd week of October into latter November, the 6th release being a final regular season top 25, which reveals the final regular season rankings of the 8 seeded Playoff Teams and also the final regular season rankings of the next 17 Teams, of which an unknown number not greater than 16 Teams (depending upon the number of unranked Automatically Qualifying Teams) will be designated as Playoff participants.

Good luck with that.

FUBeAR’s suspicion is some members of the Playoff Selection Committee’s total effort consists of glancing, through bleary, hungover eyes, over coffee in their posh hotel, at the FCS Coaches Poll the morning of Selection Sunday and asking their Assistant how to pronounce Duquesne, so they don’t look bad when discussing the Northeast Conference.
gman84, FU69 liked this
 #69252  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:28 pm
Better - but not nearly enough.

NCAA's FCS Peeps need to take a blank slate approach to the FCS Playoffs. A complete "reimagining" is in order.

#72165  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 pm
I like the seeding of 16. The second 8 would host the bottom 8 in the first round.
So, that removes the whole convoluted bid for 1st round home game scam that the committee admitted last year that they can and did just darn well choose whichever team they prefer to have a home game, regardless of the bid.

So… 1 less scam … which will now just be superseded by the seeding of 8 more teams scam … and the only improvement is they already have a lot of experience with scamming the 1st 8 seeds, so they can just replicate the shoddy and dishonest job they’ve done in that process.

FUBeAR is NOT impressed.

#DefundTheCommittee
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72167  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:58 am
Still total BS that we had to travel to App St. in 2005 Semis.............
bj93 liked this
 #72175  by gman84
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Can’t disagree…. I also remember a stretch from 1982- 1989 where we never played an away game in the playoffs. So, it all evens out over time. However, the current system is a joke!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72177  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

App finished ahead of Furman in the standings.

Furman's abysmal effort in Cullowhee earlier in the year laid the foundation for that trip up the mountain.
 #72179  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Furman's abysmal effort in Cullowhee earlier in the year laid the foundation for that trip up the mountain.

Furman had a better record overall and beat ASU head to head, FU was also ranked higher in the polls, the ASU AD was head of the selection committee that year and that was the only reason they got the home game.
gman84 liked this
 #72187  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:38 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Furman had a better record overall and beat ASU head to head, FU was also ranked higher in the polls, the ASU AD was head of the selection committee that year and that was the only reason they got the home game.
They finished ahead of Furman in the standings. Two of their three losses were to FBS schools.

I get the argument, but it's hard to seed a team ahead of a squad that finished ahead of them in their own conference.

The real travesty was that Furman and App State were the two best teams in the country. The national title game was played in the semi finals.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #72933  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:28 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:22 pm
NCAA Council votes against seeding 16 FCS playoff teams for 2023 season

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-me ... 023-season

So many funny lines in this article…

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday put off funding for the proposal, most likely until next year. [“Why put off to next year what you can put off until the year after that?” - FUBeAR]

… it was obvious from the get-go of the meeting that legislation to seed the FCS playoffs 1-16 instead of the current 1-8 wasn’t going to happen this fall. [“from the get-go”…um, when, exactly, is “the get-go?”]

it was a conclusion already reached by the Division I Board of Directors, which meets every August to set the budget. [they knew in August of 2022 that they couldn’t fund this change they trotted out]

…painfully apparent the money wasn’t there to even remotely cover all of it. [not only did they know…they REALLY knew…they STRENUOUSLY knew (“A Few Good Men” - FUBeAR loves that line)…from “the get-go”…apparently]

The good news is I think the support for…seeding 16 for football is there,” she said. “It’s just a function of when. [“support” is there?“…Oh there will be no money, but on your deathbed (which, apparently, answers the “when” question), you’ll have 16 Teams seeded” …FUBeAR would insert a Carl Spackler “gunga galunga” video link here…but too many links!…again!]

They’ve already endorsed the enhancements, they just haven’t figured out how to pay for it… [see above…FUBeAR, by the way, has endorsed Mrs. FUBeAR receiving a new Ferrari for our 35th wedding anniversary]

It takes all that subjective analysis out of the equation. The only thing subjective is setting the seeds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.