• 2018 SoCon Coaches and Media All-Conference Teams

#6878  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:48 pm
Coaches: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... =211781426

Media: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle. ... EM_ID=4000

Congrats to Bo Layton, Grayson Atkins, Dejuan Bell, and Adrian Hope for making one of the first teams!

Also, congrats to Jaylen Reid, Aaquil Annoor, Andy Godwin, and Corey Watkins for making either the 2nd team or all-freshmen teams! (sorry if I missed someone!)
 #6881  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:15 pm
I appreciate the defense of Furman being overlooked for the playoffs Hunter Reid snuck into this article about the All SoCon Teams. Fight the good fight Sir!

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m- ... 1120ki5z0b

“Furman failed to earn an at-large bid to the 24-team FCS playoffs despite finishing 148th in the combined FBS/FCS Sagarin Ratings — 25 and 38 spots higher, respectively, than at-large playoff selections Incarnate Word (6-4/173rd) and Lamar (7-4/186th).

The Paladins' 2018 schedule, rated higher than any Southland Conference program, included FBS No. 2 Clemson and three playoff qualifiers — Elon, East Tennessee State, and Wofford — along with a fourth, Patriot League champion Colgate, which the Paladins were scheduled to play on Sept. 15 at home before the game was canceled due to Hurricane Florence.

Furman's 34-14 triumph over Wofford, ranked 4th/6th in FCS at the time, was the highest ranked foe to fall to a SoCon or Southland Conference team in 2018.”
hypercycloid, MNORM, fufanatic and 5 others liked this
 #6885  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:34 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 pm
How Hope wasn't a consensus first teamer I'll never know.
A bigger joke was why he wasn't Freshman of the Year. Sure Quay Holmes, the RB from ETSU, had a nice year....820 yards rushing and 4.4 ypc. Good enough for 6th best rushing yards in the SOCON.

Hell, Adrian Hope led ALL OF FCS in sacks and 2nd in ALL OF FCS in forced fumbles!!

The kid flat out deserved that award.....
Jasper, FUpaladin08, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #6891  by Jasper
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:05 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:34 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 pm
How Hope wasn't a consensus first teamer I'll never know.
A bigger joke was why he wasn't Freshman of the Year. Sure Quay Holmes, the RB from ETSU, had a nice year....820 yards rushing and 4.4 ypc. Good enough for 6th best rushing yards in the SOCON.

Hell, Adrian Hope led ALL OF FCS in sacks and 2nd in ALL OF FCS in forced fumbles!!

The kid flat out deserved that award.....
If the Furman football staff and returning players for next season did not have a chip on their shoulder after not making the playoffs, they should have a sequoia tree on it with this BS. In the immortal words of Mr. T "pity the fools" in the SoCon next season. How the hell do those jackasses think Furman won 6 league contests with such unrecognized players? Not singling out Adrian Hope for an amazing season is just stupid. The SoCon coaches and writers were able to "outdumb" the FCS Selection Committee; which I did not think possible. Or maybe its just sheer laziness - count the number of wins, look at passing yards, count yards gained, tackles made etc. and write a name next to it. Looking at all those tapes might give them a headache.
Paladawg, furman88, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #6906  by Affirm
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:17 am
With Hunter Reid’s info above I do not see how Lamar and Incarnate Word could get in over a co-Southern Conference champion. Not get in is crazy!
I agree.
We fans and supporters, plus our players and coaches all need to be sure to apply our strong feelings about this over the next entire 26 months - off-season preparation, practice, financial support, attendance, and the team’s on-field play (except maybe against the FBS opponents, which games apparently “don’t matter”), and strength/conditioning, and team members’ academic success/eligibility.
It is up to “us” all.
I don’t know if we’ll ever get to the finals or semis again, but please note that the above-mentioned 26 months includes through January 2021.
Even though we were unfairly left out, life is unfair.
Let’s make sure the situation of this post-season, as well as of last post-season which ended with our second loss of the year against our closest “rival” on their field (or anything like that) does not happen again.
QCGlue liked this
 #6910  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:18 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:17 am
With Hunter Reid’s info above I do not see how Lamar and Incarnate Word could get in over a co-Southern Conference champion. Not get in is crazy!
I agree.
We fans and supporters, plus our players and coaches all need to be sure to apply our strong feelings about this over the next entire 26 months - off-season preparation, practice, financial support, attendance, and the team’s on-field play (except maybe against the FBS opponents, which games apparently “don’t matter”), and strength/conditioning, and team members’ academic success/eligibility.
It is up to “us” all.
I don’t know if we’ll ever get to the finals or semis again, but please note that the above-mentioned 26 months includes through January 2021.
Even though we were unfairly left out, life is unfair.
Let’s make sure the situation of this post-season, as well as of last post-season which ended with our second loss of the year against our closest “rival” on their field (or anything like that) does not happen again.
I look around the SoCon and don't see any team I currently think is going to stand in our way next season. If we can get the QB situation figured out, I think we are going to be tough.

Defense may need some time to adjust next season with some losses, but I really think our offense next year is going to put up a heckuva lot of points.
 #6914  by Flagman
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:43 am
I don’t know how his stats measure up, but I’d certainly want Devin Wynn on my team. He was the toughest runner to bring down that I saw all year.
tim, FUKA61, QCGlue liked this
 #6918  by fufanatic
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:43 am
I don’t know how his stats measure up, but I’d certainly want Devin Wynn on my team. He was the toughest runner to bring down that I saw all year.
I thought about him too. Was thinking he had produced most of his big games late in the season, but in looking at the numbers, he was really good all SoCon season minus first game against ETSU. How he didn't make it on one of the teams is insane. HE WAS 3RD IN THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING FOR SOCON GAMES ONLY. Which I believe is all the coaches look at for conference honors. Had 668 yards, 6 TDs and average 83.5 yards a game in conference action. That's behind only Devezin from Mercer and Adams from Western. So better than all but one RB. Game-by-game: 19 against ETSU, 98 vs. Western, 39 vs. Wofford, 83 vs. Samford, 86 vs. Citadel, 96 vs. Chattanooga, 112 vs. VMI, 135 vs. Mercer. He got better as season went along. Considering guys with 100 attempts or more in conference games, Wynn was far and away the best per rush at 6.7 A CARRY. So for conference only games, the guys that finished 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th in average per game were named all-conference. What an absolute joke. I'm sticking by my prediction that Wynn will be SoCon Player of the Year in 2019 or 2020.
QCGlue, furman88, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.